General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Have you seen a famous person ?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 18:58

It must be rather strange being famous, you can't move about like normal people. I've just been reading a book about V.Rossi the MotoGP rider, (I'm a fan) and when he is out... and someone spots him, a hugh crowd soon appears...Must be like that for other famous people too, I think it's ok at first, then it quickly becomes a nightmare!

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 18:53

Bravo Paula! Fantastico! I have a CD on him called: 'ICONS', perhaps your heard of it ? It's actually two CDs. :-D

Paula+

Paula+ Report 29 Jun 2013 17:11

I Belong to the Luciano Pavarotti's appreciation society and met him several times. Also went out to dinner with him.
<3

Barry_

Barry_ Report 29 Jun 2013 15:56

Met Acker Bilk on the stairs at the Regency, Bath. He was all dressed to play. ''Wotcha, mate." he said with a big smile. No airs or graces .... just Acker.

Met and have autographs of Johnny Kidd (of The Pirates), Richard Murdoch, Mr. Pastry, guitarists Duane Eddy and Al Casey, Marty Wilde (he often came to the village fetes), several Surrey cricket players in the pavilion at The Oval.
Chatted with Mickey Most and The Shirelles, (never thought to get his or the girls' autographs, silly me.)

David Jacobs and Bert Weedon presented me with £5 premium bond as joint winner on 'Woodbine Quiztime'. 53 years later this bond has not won a penny!

Chatted with Foreign Secretary David Owen at our embassy in the Middle East.

Walking by Santa and a Harrods doorman in Dec 1986 as a white limo stopped. Out stepped Susan George and the doorman reached into his coat, took out a book, and says "Susan George, this is your Life!" It was Eamonn Andrews and Susan's hubby Simon MacCorkindale!
This was shown five days later on TV and the left arm of my new leather coat was on screen. Fame at last!

HM The Queen and Prince Philip walked within arms length of me while visiting and walking about our Embassy in the Middle East. I took numerous photos of her and sold them for mere pence (Fils, actually).
(Elizabeth wore a blue and white outfit, ladies. Chiefly blue with white spattered upon is the best description I recall.)
I made £50 from these photos and sent it to the Royal National Society for the Blind in London. I received a receipt and lovely letter - which I still have - from the Secretary.

Maggie. I am absolutely fascinated beyond words that you had tea with King Faisal bin Abdul Aziz al Saud. Utterly incredible.

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Jun 2013 15:18

Carol 430181's post above had just reminded me - I had my photo taken with Marty Wilde.

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 15:04

What a lot of Great interesting info about this subject! :-D I only wish I had something to add, apart from my Dad had seen a few well known people, including the person who was in 'Ice Cold in Alex', not John Mills. I don't think I have seen anyone famous in person, well not yet anyway.

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 29 Jun 2013 14:43

Where I worked had pleasure of meeting, Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Ann, Queen Mother, Prince Charles, Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, Tom Parker Bowles, Charlie Dimmock, Peter Seabrook, Kim Wilde.

Carol

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 29 Jun 2013 13:50

I have shaken hands with Camilla Duchess of Cornwall when she came to visit the Troops in Salisbury...
Met Roger Moore, Leo Sayer, Christopher Ellison (from the Bill), Paul Daniels, Al Murray at a book signing in Edinburgh, Katie Price, Fat Boy Slim (Norman Cook), Matthew Kelly, Mark Owen from Take That and Eric Sykes while he was having a haircut in the Lanes in Brighton in the late 70's.......

Jules x

Mersey

Mersey Report 29 Jun 2013 13:32

Seeing as Ant and Dec did not impress our Emms....I have also met Paul Ogrady.....he was absolutely lovely, had time for everyone......

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 29 Jun 2013 11:45

Well if we are going to name drop I may as well throw my tuppence worth into the pot ;-)

As a young lad I was with my Mum and Dad when King George the Queens father; Queen Elizabeth the Queens Mother, and Queen Mary the Queens grandmother - visited Cupar in Fife to present new colours to my father's regiment, my Mum told me that I was so scared by the look of Queen Mary that I hid behind my Mum and Dad when they were introduced to them.

I also knew Fulton Mackay and Edward Woodward when I lived in Teddington in the mid 1970's as they often popped into my local pub in Twickenham and in the late 1990's I met Adam Faith in Westerham in Kent.

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 29 Jun 2013 11:30

I worked in Cheltenham during the time that Butterflies was filmed there (the house they used was just around the corner). Often saw the cast around town, and once nearly ran over the actor who played Leonard(?), on one of his jogs! Have seen a few actors around Bath and Cheltenham when they have been in theatre. Bath is beloved for period dramas, so you may catch some filming going on, also Lacock which is just down the road (used in Cranfield, Pride & Prejudice, Harry Potter etc.)

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 29 Jun 2013 11:22

I served Trevor Macdonald in our local shop, helped Cliff Richard find laces for his trainers in same shop.

Both men were lovely and visiting family who live close to where we live. :-D

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 29 Jun 2013 11:22

We've all got a cross to bare Mersey :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 29 Jun 2013 11:16

I have met Ant and Dec :-D

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 29 Jun 2013 11:11

Many years ago worked in security at Aberdeen Airport.
From celebs, Hollywood stars, singers, prime ministers etc.
One of my favourites Barbra Cartland a lovely lady who refused
to go into the VIP lounge and sat with the oilrig men chatting and
laughing.

Emma :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 11:03

Some really fantastic info, I enjoyed reading them all, thanks very much for posting! :-D ;-) <3

ValerieM

ValerieM Report 29 Jun 2013 10:21

The late Wendy Richard was a guest at my BIL wedding and we were sitting with her in the lounge area of the hotel where the reception was. Such a lovely lady.

Also, a friend of mine, who was an actress, wrote a book of poems and I was invited to the book launch in London. Amongst the guests were Trevor Eve and his wife Sharon Maughan, who we were standing next to and also Phyilda Law (Emma Thompson's mother).

My daughter went to see a show a couple of years ago and during the break went outside for a cigarette. Boy George came out and asked if she had a spare cigarette and they were chatting throughout the break. She said he was really nice.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Jun 2013 10:03

Andrew Davies who writes all those racey productions for BBC was in my class in school

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Jun 2013 09:48

World War Z

Daughter No2 was an undergraduate studying TV and Film Production.
She had already applied to be a runner for the film in the Glasgow location, but had been unsuccessfull

At the start of filming, she and her friends were in Glasgow, but could not get anywhere near the set, so they left George Square and decided to go for lunch instead.

About 20 mins later, some of the film crew came into the bar where they were having lunch, and announced that filming was about to start directly outside, and told them what they should ( and shouldn't do)..... daughter had a window seat!

A 4x4 rolled up, the passenger got out and Brad Pitt was right there.. on the other side of the glass looking in and waving.
WWZ was released last week, and although the scene was used.... daughter and her pals are just out of shot.
Drat!

BarneyKent

BarneyKent Report 29 Jun 2013 09:28

The late actor Donald Houston used to come into our local. He just wanted to be an ordinary customer, without people asking for autographs and pictures. All the other locals respected this and he was just "Don".

If a stranger came in and said, you look just like that actor Donald Houston he would say, " a lot of people say that, can't see it myself ".

A great guy.