General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buzz Aldrin, mother's maiden surname: Moon...etc.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Jun 2013 21:50

Did you know that Buzz Aldrin was the second man to walk on the moon, and that his mother's maiden surname was: Moon! That's brill! Did you also know all the planets in our solar system can be placed inside the planet Jupiter. All the moons of the solar system are given names from Greek & Roman mythology, apart from the moons of Uranus, they are named after Shakespearean characters. Strange but true! One more to think over... it takes about 8 minutes and 12 seconds for sunlight to reach Earth! What do you find interesting about Space the Universe, have you any thoughts about anything to do with this subject, perhaps you have a new idea, or something you would really like to know ???

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Jun 2013 22:04

Dark matter, dark energy is still a bit of a mystery, and black holes, WOW!!! Lots of strange and unknown things out in Space...

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Jun 2013 22:08

I do sometimes wonder if this Earth has every been visited by advanced beings in the distant past...

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 28 Jun 2013 22:09

Oh I would love to go exploring (think I watched too much Star Trek ) how anyone can say we are alone in the universe beats me ....impossible , well that's what I think. Even just to study astronomy must be so interesting . :-) Yes Heather I think they have and still are visiting................OK everyone have a laugh I don't mind :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 28 Jun 2013 22:11

Regarding Star Trek Nolls, I used to really enjoy the first series, I think I still like that better than the new lot!

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jun 2013 22:33

It takes light 8 minutes to reach us from the sun; but it takes nearly 4 years to travel from the next nearest star, Proxima Centuri. Even if you could travel at the speed of light, would you want to spend 8 years traveling there and back? If aliens did exist, would they want to do that?

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 28 Jun 2013 23:12

Yes I would Graham how exciting goodness knows what you would find on the way. and I'm sure aliens would be much quicker than we would be and they do exist they do they do I know they do :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 00:00

Earth like planets that are now being found more and more... and just the right distant from their Sun, how very interesting! Surely we can't be alone in the Universe. :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2013 08:24

Would you want to go to a STAR? after all, thats a SUN in its own right, to discover other planets would be as Spock might say " Interesting, Captain"

:-)

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 08:49

A space shuttle is not much bigger than a bus. Imagine sitting on a bus for 8 years with no possibility of getting off.

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 11:00

Graham, yes, I think being in a space shuttle for a very long time... would be a nightmare! :-(

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jun 2013 13:23

8 minutes for light to reach earth from the sun

And

hours to get from one side of London to the other!!!!

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 14:00

If only there were transporters in London like they have on Star Trek ;-) Beam me up Scotty! There's no intelligent life down here :-D

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 15:06

I knew that. Not sure what that has to do with space though :-S :-D
Isn't Brian May of Queen supposed to be an astronomer or space cadet?

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 15:10

I agree Graham, and yes, Brian May does have a great interest in this subject; he was also a friend of Patrick Moore, and help him out many times...

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 15:11

What is your best science fiction film ? Lost in Space ? 2001? Alien perhaps ?

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 15:19

I liked that film with Raquel Welch where they got shrunk down and went around inside somebody's body in a submarine. Nothing to do with space; but it was a sci-fi film. And it did have Raquel Welch in it ;-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 29 Jun 2013 16:16

Graham I wouldn't go in a space shuttle I would go in a big big space craft just like Star Trek ;-)........

GHeather

GHeather Report 29 Jun 2013 19:07

I know the film Graham, a good film! I also like that film: 'WEST WORLD' I think that's what it is called anyway. Where the cowboy robot goes mad out of control... I suppose you could class that as a bit of a Sci-fi film, well, sort of. I always like that bit when the cowboy robot is after the real man, he comes across another man, and tells him you don't have a chance, it's one of our advanced robots (or words to that effect), and the other man replies: 'Yes I do!' A brill film!!! :-D