General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

solar panels

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 14:13

Is your council putting in solar panels to people on benefits
just wondered

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 29 Jun 2013 14:28

Yes, Lilybids but not just for people on benefits.
Its classed as a property improvement and it also brings in a little extra income for the council.

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 14:30

OH I see ,it just seems to be household on benefits here

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 14:31

OH I see ,it just seems to be household on benefits here
keep getting error when trying to post

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 29 Jun 2013 14:35

The council rents the roof space to the electic company concerned three way cut I believe the tenant gets some free electric out of the deal, but the rent goes up ,he,he,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jun 2013 14:36

Several neighbours have had solar panels fitted privately. To me they look UGLY even though its on the roof , We have both thought URG!!! but have no idea if the benefits outway the ugly.

Have been drop leafleted by the people that have done the installations but we have both said the time to recoup the outlay will probably outlive us so why waste our money only for the house to be sold before we get the money back .

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 14:36

Is it worth doing it then?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2013 14:46

My neighbour is a lease holder, and enquired about fitting solar panels...........yes they said,thats ok, but YOU will be liable for any roof repairs ever after.........
so he isnt bothering......

any tile repairs mean that the panels would have to be removed to fix any faults........
Bob

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jun 2013 14:48

We looked into it but as OH is 79 and I am 76 the recoup the outlay doesnt look a viable thing .

Would sooner leave the house to daughter without the solar panels and more money in the bank lol

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 29 Jun 2013 14:49

ALL NEW BUILDS IN MY AREA HAVE TO HAVE AT LEAST THREE PANELS,NOT JUST HOUSING ASSOCIATIONS EVEN FOR SALE HOUSES

kandj

kandj Report 29 Jun 2013 14:50

I agree with Shirley on both counts.

It may have been something to consider perhaps very many years ago but just too old now to gain in a financial sense. I haven't seen council properties in the village with solar panel roofing but quite a few younger neighbours have them installed.

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 14:58

A new housing estate has them fitted part owned by the council and housing association ,but now it seems the older properties are being done owned by the council

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 15:13

My dad had solar panels put on his roof. When he weighed up what it cost against the savings on his electricity bill, it worked out it would take about 10,000 years for them to pay for themselves. (I think my dad might have exaggerated a little)

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 15:19

Doesn't seem to be that simple then,would be quite a bit of cost involved

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jun 2013 15:22

If the council are doing it for people on benefits, that'll probably work out okay. But, if you were to try doing it yourself, it would probably cost a few quid

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 29 Jun 2013 15:49

I am glad this subject has been brought up...I was looking at the following website where it claims all is free.....Knowing that there is no such thing and there must be a catch, even though they say there isn't .......well anyway....could you all take a look and tell me what one has to pay for even though they say you don't

http://ashadegreener.co.uk/?ad_ref=sfb30d

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jun 2013 15:53

The council started putting solar panels on council houses with south facing rooves on one estate - but have given up after less than a year - due to 'costs'.

*Probably due to not enough people being 'grateful' enough, or willing to put up with the cowboys the council contracts to do work nowadays.*

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Jun 2013 16:12

Here in Argyll we can get a grant towards solar panels. I am rung up frequently and asked why I haven't claimed mine.

My reply is that the overall cost (about £10,000) is far too much and I will manage without. The idea here is that you get free electricity and any surplus is sold to the National Grid. To begin with this covers the repayments on any loan you might need and then provides some additional income. If I were 20 years younger I might consider it, but I don't want the extra bother now.

Incidentally, they don't have to go on the roof. If you have a suitable south-facing garden they can go on the ground. My next door neighbour has a sloping garden which has been terraced and the panels are angled against the step.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jun 2013 16:27

thats what they want to do with some farmland near me...........make a solar panel farm.........acres and acres of it!!

pretty sure that I saw an energy farm in california, some where, looked like a pipeline with curved mirrors focussing the sun's heat to it.......

lilybids

lilybids Report 29 Jun 2013 17:09

makes you laugh really people on benefits have to pay "bedroom tax"
then get free solar panels for electric so how are the councils saving money :-S

if it cost so much to put in