General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I absolutely do not believe it.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Jul 2013 19:46

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay again when the next parcel gets here, I think I will do it again if I can't get it in my case. :-(

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jul 2013 07:57

We have family in NZ and over the years gifts have been sent and received with no problem, but earlier this year we had to pay on a gift of socks which had been sent to our address for relatives.

Gwyn

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 3 Jul 2013 23:20

ZZzzz I have never paid a penny on gifts received from Canada. :-S

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 22:53

My understanding is that even goods received as a gift are now liable to taxation

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Jul 2013 22:51

Think you should have declared as a gift.

When I worked in Post Office, we often had to help posters with their customs declarations. And always advised to state that contents were a gift. Think that counteracts the tax problem.

Do not think you have to pay tax on gifts.

Someone will advise if this is not correct, I am going back some years....

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 22:10

Nolls it applies to imports not exports - each country has its own regulations.

I think the law actually changed recently or they are in the process of changing the loophole. My understanding was that consignments under a certain value were exempt and I think it used to be £18 . That is why so many companies set up in the Channel Islands. I must look up the details - if I find anything of use I'll post it on here.
Sorry if I have not explained that very well.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jul 2013 22:05

Maybe I shouldn't have been honest about cost of contents and what is in there. :-|

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 3 Jul 2013 22:03

my son

often orders stuff from abroad and has to pay import tax :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 3 Jul 2013 21:52

Well I didn't know that send to Aus all the time and likewise back here but never had to pay any extra in fact sent a big joinery jig (don't ask) recently over to Aus but they didn't have anything to pay Thank goodness family's in Aus and not US.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 20:37

I split the link in half so it wouldn't drop off the edge of the page so you need to copy the whole address into your browser

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 20:35

Here you go - not what I was looking for but should be useful...

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&propertyType=document
&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 20:32

It can still be applied ZZzzz

Nolls, with imports it doesn't matter whether it is new or second hand

Hang on - I've got a link somewhere

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 3 Jul 2013 20:27

Used goods can't have VAT on them can they? so.............. :-0

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jul 2013 18:08

I understand the customs and excise duty (well kind of), but VAT??it wasn't bought over here, or am I missing a point?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 3 Jul 2013 17:40

Anything, well, most things from outside the EU are liable for import VAT as well as customs duty and excise duty.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 3 Jul 2013 17:20

Sent two parcels from USA to here (UK) one arrived today but I needed to pay VAT so some what be grudgingly I paid it, so in the true sense of the term VAT how do they justify it, it was one pair of boots.
Goodness knows what the next one will cost there is a variety of books and kitchen tools in it. :-|