General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

To Close or not to close

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 5 Jul 2013 11:18

When going on holiday is it
a) Best to close all the curtains & blinds or
b) leave them open

Phyll

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 11:25

Well, if they are open, there is no indication of when you will be back to close them.

If they are closed at night and then all day there is a good chance there is nobody to open them.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jul 2013 11:26

I would leave them open, unless like us yopu have a kind neighbour who goes in to close them for us.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Jul 2013 11:33

we leave the full blind over the patio doors in the lounge closed / its at the back of the house so no one will be aware . its because we get full sun there till mid afternoon and it would bleach the carpet and furnishings,.

we also have two lamps on a time switch that come on at about 9.30pm and go off at 11.30 . the glow from them can be seen through the kitchen blinds. the Kitchen is in the front of the house ,(1960,s build)

Luckily our grandaughter comes in every evening to feed the cat and put food out for the tortoise so weather permitting she opens the lounge up for the time she is here

Phyll

Phyll Report 5 Jul 2013 11:39

Thank you for your kind replies.

I was wondering as some Police Forces recommend leaving them open and others say to close.

Phyll

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2013 12:11

Well, in the summer, I tend to have the blinds closed /semi closed to avoid being blinded by the sun :-S or to avoid seeing the rain :-|
But, when away - and in the winter, I close the blinds, have one or two lamps on timers, and leave the radio on low.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 12:21

If my house was broken into I do sometimes wonder if they would find anything they would want to take.

About the only good stuff I have is the kitchen appliances and nobody ever offers you a fridge freezer in the pub. It was hard enough getting it in here anyway, they wouldn't be creeping away with it!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jul 2013 12:43

About 3 times this year, I've come home to find the front door wide open.
I thought I'd closed it, but the lippy thing around the lock sometimes catches.
I've walked into the house hoping the 'clean up' burglar had been - but they hadn't :-(

Linda

Linda Report 5 Jul 2013 13:14

Summer or winter I leave my curtains open, I have three lamps that come on by timers all year round, and have got very good neighbours.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2013 13:26

dont forget your rubbish bins,
if they are on show an empty bin can mean no one is there to fill it!!

(was part of the plot of a detective story some time ago) a rogue dustman pointed out to a felon which houses had empty bins on binday.......
Bob

Phyll

Phyll Report 5 Jul 2013 13:52

Thank you all for your sound advice.
Phyll

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2013 14:11

Sharron,often, Its not what they take, its the thought that they've been through your house,

and not least,

the damage they do.........

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 14:17

I've got Fred and OH for that.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 5 Jul 2013 16:15

I can always tell when neighbours are away ....closed curtains then light on at night in the hall??? . but there again open curtains and no light on at night??? Perhaps light on in a bedroom?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Jul 2013 20:58

couple of timers in different rooms set to go on/off at intervals......