General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is Fred a locust?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 12:43

Fred has a very small appetite, allegedly. When we are dishing a meal, he deliberately comes wheeling out to the kitchen to remind us he only wants a small portion.

Twice a week he goes to a café prides itself on it's enormous portions and clears his plate.

Today we are going to the carers tea at three o'clock. He only wanted three biscuits for his lunch. Now he is off to the café for a little snack (at that café?) to tide him over until the carer's tea.

I am wondering if he needs worming

GinN

GinN Report 5 Jul 2013 12:51

My Dad was just the same, Sharron! Give them a small portion and their face trips them up!
I think it's great that he has a good appetite, Bless him. :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 12:52

I really don't have time to bless him. I am too busy feeding him!

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 5 Jul 2013 15:22

Sharron, LOL!!! I really love your comments about your dad.So much humour, but also a lot of stress/pain for you maybe, or am I wrong? I brought my mother (83) and her sister, (73) over here to Holland to help aunt care for mother in '96.My mother was in the last stages of dementia...terrible situaltion...so sad to see her like that.Mother died 8 months later, it was a release for her...my aunt never got over this.I wish I had been able to have some contact with my mother......no way was that possible.You seem to be a far stronger person than I was.Hats off to you!!!

Eileen xx

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jul 2013 18:04

Fred has still got it all there up top, it is just his speech which is awry.

Having had egg on toast at the café, he made a pretty fair fist of the carer's tea and they read out that he had received his medal so he was a celebrity again and I have a couple of people to help to get theirs.

It made him interact with people, whether he wanted to or not!

Honestly, there is not a lot of stress and pain in it for me, maybe because I am not very sympathetic, it's just a waste of time.

He seems to have survived it though doesn't he?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jul 2013 23:07

Survived it ?

He leads quite a full and interesting life, it seems to me.
It's great that you make it possible for him to get out and about so much.

Gwyn

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 5 Jul 2013 23:12

Sharron,

You know the saying ""You have to be cruel to be kind."""

That is how anyone dealing with a stroke patient has to be.

And you are brilliant at caring for Fred.

I was the same with Late Hubby..

:-D :-D <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Jul 2013 06:31

Good for Fred, he knows what he's doing eh? I am glad he had another celebration for his medal altho it's obviously landed you with more work to help the others get theirs.

Personally I think you deserve a medal for the way you have kept him going and made his life as rich as can be, not many people have the opportunity to do so much after the 'sentence' he was given.

Good luck to you and to Fred and all who help care for him

Lizxx

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jul 2013 08:43

Whatever happened, I was going to have him here when he had his stroke and I really didn't relish the thought of having a dear old chap under a blanket being pushed around and run after, although, I don't think I would have had him for long.

I had to keep him going because his pension comes in handy and I didn't want to go back to work so I decided to keep him interested and settle a few scores as well tee-hee.

There was a man at the tea yesterday who was quite evidently a stroke victim who had been looked after and he hardly moved at all after having been pushed in by a wife who looked worn out. She had, no doubt, been told, as was I by the occupational therapist, that he would only ever go anywhere on foot or by taxi and she had believed it.

There is little encouragement to get them independent, maybe because it is safer not to. Fred has had a few burns, including one tat needed daily dressing by the district nurse and another , particularly uncomfortable one when he tipped his cup of tea in his lap when he opened the fridge door but no pain no gain!

I am particularly proud that people don't usually aske me how Fred is but where he is now.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Jul 2013 17:42

A brilliant attitude Sharron, and one that should be recognised by stroke units everywhere

Maybe some waterproof pants for Fred so any more tea in lap accidents lol I do hope you didn't have to deal with that one!

Lizx

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 6 Jul 2013 18:05

Sharron, everyone should have, or at least know of a Fred, gives you a different outlook on life, you can think how lucky you are not to be Fred, and Fred can think how lucky he is to have you, works both ways :-D

I think I love Fred :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jul 2013 18:32

Most stroke victims are very pleased they weren't landed with some hard old biddy like poor Fred was!

He was always a bit of a hoarder (sixteen starter motors in the shed) and today his new leather slippers came. They only really finish his trousers off but one of his old ones had fallen apart so we threw that pair away.

Not a happy stroke victim! Apparently I should not have thrown them away because he could still walk in them.

I don't know when he does this walking but he isn't half going to be sorry if I catch him at it!

Lynda, would you like a photo for your dartboard?

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 6 Jul 2013 18:40

Is Fred a hunk Sharron? if so don't send a photo,.put him on a train, and I'll collect him this end :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 6 Jul 2013 18:51

Confirmation............Fred is a real hunk :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 6 Jul 2013 18:57

That's it then. Next train.

At last!

Commode, incontinence pads, catheters, manual wheelchair, assorted medication to follow. I'll just hang on to the pension!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Jul 2013 05:57

Now come on Sharron, how dull your life would be without Fred, and what would you find to do?????

Lizxx

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Jul 2013 08:42

I would be on the phone all day listening to Lynda moaning and asking me where she ought to be searching for him this time. That is what I would find to do.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Jul 2013 01:21

Lol and you would be lol too

Lizx