General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How the North was built.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Jul 2013 09:13

Tuesday, 9th July, 9pm ITV.

Robson Green narrates the Industrial Revolution in the North and North East.

Cotton mills, coal mines, shipyards et all.

Should be interesting.

:-)

GinN

GinN Report 8 Jul 2013 09:42

Yes, I'm looking forward to it. It's a fascinating subject, and Robson Green is the perfect presenter for it. Loved his documentary about the Ashington coal miners who formed an art club. :-)

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 8 Jul 2013 10:20

I certainly will be watching this programme. I was a Naval Architect at Swan Hunter Shipbulders from 1964 until it closed in 1993. I met and became friends with many people from all the heavy industries in the Northeast i.e. Shipbuilding, coal mining,rope works, paper mills and all the large engineering companies who employed thousands of workers and I feel honoured to have been part of it.
Robson Green left school and began serving his apprenticeship as a ship draughtsman at Swan Hunter but left after two years to become an actor. I never met him personally.

GP

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 8 Jul 2013 10:30

Yes I'll definitely be watching. I've lived in the NE all my life (except few months in my babyhood) and three gen. of my maternal side were all foyboatmen/ fishermen on the Tyne.....but then.... 'it was a big river'....

Graham

Graham Report 8 Jul 2013 10:33

I wonder who would be the best person to do a similar programme about the south-west :-S

Robert

Robert Report 8 Jul 2013 11:53

It will be interesting to see the many changes that have taken place in the 50 years since I moved to the North East from Scotland.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Jul 2013 18:07

OH's family all either worked in the mines or the shipyards, so it will be very interesting to him.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 9 Jul 2013 13:36

I note from my TV magazine that the Documentary is in two parts. the first will be shown tonight and the second next week.

GP

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 9 Jul 2013 20:06

Giving it a nudge.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 10 Jul 2013 09:12

Oh dear, I found it rather disappointing. Lovely to see Robson's family, but apart from his uncle who actually worked in the mines, the others including his sisters said next to nothing.

As I said OH's family worked in the mines in the North East. I wanted to see more about the conditions, the proper uses of the donkey's and canaries, the children working down there. The trade union movement, the social side, the bands, the choirs, the sewing circles. Robson tapping on the coal face with a little hammer was hardly authentic.

We went to Sunderland a few years ago, and there was an exhibition in the Library I think. We learned more in there, than the programme last night.

I think it was too vague, they should have concentrated on one industry per programme.

Shame, I think it could have been better.

Sorry.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 10:14

I personally found the programme interesting but was hoping to see more old footages of the the heavy industries from bygone days which revolutionised the North. Lets hope the second documentary next week will show this.

GP

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 10 Jul 2013 11:04

I too enjoyed it - and would like to have seen more, made me realise how much more there could have been, there really would be scope for very detailed research. My OH's family were also involved in mining for several generations in the past.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jul 2013 16:01

The north east is not all industrial graveyard and tram museums by a long chalk. It is not boring. Despite the claims of the south west it has the most stunning coastline in England, great fishing and the friendliest people on the planet. We have spent our holidays there more than once and will do so again. Newcastle definitely has the best music scene in the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXdRzQLpt_g

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 16:31

I agree with you completely Rollo. As I was born, bred, worked and still living in the Northeast, people from the south may think I am being biassed. Well to tell you the truth I am - and very proud and patriotic to be associated with the Northeast of England.

GP

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 10 Jul 2013 18:28

I was hoping for more archive footage too! I wanted to see proper housing rather than the Beamish museum. Although that was featured time and again in all the Catherine Cookson programmes.

We walked the coastline in Sunderland, and it was wonderful, we really enjoyed ourselves. I just wanted a bit more of the old photos and film.

As I said earlier, I think they could have expanded it, rather than 2 programmes, they could have made it into maybe 6, and had one programme per industry.

Still will continue to watch it next week, as there will be more industries associated with the family.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jul 2013 19:29

My lot owned coal mines and an iron works lol.

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 20:43

MotownGal - The walk from Sunderland,Roker, Whitburn, Seaburn, Marsden then onto South Shields is a beautiful walk. In the old days there used to be a rail link between Whitburn Colliery and South Shields along the seafront which doesn't exist anymore. The locomotive used was called the Marsden Rattler and there is a pub named after it in S. Shields and has many old photographs of it on its walls. This is the kind of things I would have enjoyed to see on the programme last night showing how it was then and how it looks now.

GP

GinN

GinN Report 10 Jul 2013 20:52

I enjoyed the programme, but it is too broad a subject for two programmes - the whole story of industry and it's consequences in two hours?
Most of my Dad's family were lead miners, coal miners, even coal owners, and many of my Mam's were employed around the shipyards and locomotive works, some coming up from East Anglia for work.
One thing I did enjoy was the background music - Mumford and Son, and The Unthanks ( The King Of Rome - about pigeon racing.)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 10 Jul 2013 20:55

We walked along to what was Marsden Rock, I believe some of it has crumbled now.

My OH used to visit his Nana in Seaburn, and they used to visit a pub set into the rockface somewhere along the coast. We could not find it.

We also went to the end of the sea wall, with the lighthouse on the end. He nearly got swept off that when he was a nipper!

We went to the Stadium of Light, although he had visited the old Roker Park when he returned to visit his uncles and aunts. The big wheel at the back was part of the pit head? The pin men pushing the ball up the embankment was fabulous too.

His Uncle Jimmy had a sweet shop, but the whole terrace had gone. So sad.

One thing I did notice was how cold it was!!!

Yep, a soft southern Jessie!

:-)

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 21:17

MotownGal - I assume your OH is from Sunderland. The pub built into the Cliff face is at Marsden and is still there and faces Marsden Rock. It has a lift fitted now and takes you to two levels. The lower level is a pub serving meals and the upper level is an upmarket restaurant for rich southern clients :-D
The sea wall or pier with the lighthouse as at South Shields on the river Tyne.

GP