General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How the North was built.

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 11 Jul 2013 23:22

lolol ...you're so good at the dialects Hayley ;-) :-D xx

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 11 Jul 2013 22:47

Weyayye canny lass woh pet lamb Mau ;-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 11 Jul 2013 21:30

Marie lots of fun wasn't it?

Polly Donkin fisherwoman from Cullercoats is in my line Robert.
Cullercoats had a flourishing trade in salt,coal and fish in the 17th century,lots of history there.

The Hatters trade was a dangerous occupation wasn't it Hayley? due to mercury poisoning.........that's where the term 'mad as a Hatter' came from.
I think tv producers could make hundreds of documentaries about different trades around the UK...nae botha ;-)
We should all write in.....

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 11 Jul 2013 20:42

The bit about t'mills in Manchester always ( for me) the focus is on the Cotton industry, the area was cramp with Hatter mills and I wish they would do abit bout them, My GGrandfather was just 29 when he died due to his trade. I am sure the biggest export from Manchester was salt never a jot about that trade.

However I loved it, I love watching the old footage of peeps in the seaside resorts, they always look so happy and cheerful and they had nowt. :-D

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Jul 2013 20:34

MC - Were you the one who gave out high pitched screams and frightened the life out of us. :-D

GP

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Jul 2013 20:24

GP - there are some who would say I belonged in the ghost train!!

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Jul 2013 19:59

MowtownGal - You are more than welcome

Robert - All I can remember of them is sitting outside their cottages selling seafood if my memory serves me right.

MarieCeleste - Your name suggests that you would have enjoyed the ghost train at the Spanish City. :-D

GP

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 11 Jul 2013 19:38

Thank you GP for the link. Will get OH to have a butchers when he gets in!

:-D :-D :-D

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jul 2013 19:36

Does anyone remember the Fishwives at Cullercoats?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Jul 2013 18:34

Eeeh, I used to love the Spanish City when I was a bairn and then in my early teens. Met my first boyfriend there (it lasted about a week!)

I live halfway between St Mary's and Tynemouth so tend to walk there and back to one or the other.

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 11 Jul 2013 17:24

Yes many a time GP ....and happy memories of the Spanish City where I met my OH Lynda ... now immortalised in Dire Straits 'Tunnel of Love' :-D

I have a lovely book written by Jack Davitt with some humorous short verses.....a little piece..

When I was young, a few years back
My father used to say
'Behave your self, and wash your face
And we'll go to Whitley Bay.'

With multi coloured deck chairs
Donkeys on the sands
Music from the carousels
And the local colliery bands.

Mau

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Jul 2013 16:28

Hiya GinN and MAU,
The parents of all the kids in our street would mainly take us to Cullercoats Bay as they felt it was much safer to swim in the sea. We would swim between the piers only when the tide was coming in. We loved the ice-cream, sarnies, pop and winkles and really enjoyed our days out.

We also visited Whitley Bay and the Longsands on many occasions and we loved the Spanish City. Oh Happy Days.

MAU - It must have been great for you living on the doorstep of Longsands and having easy access to the other bays. Have any of you ever walked from Tynemouth Priory to St Mary's Lighthouse and back.

I'm off out now so I may be back later.

GP

GinN

GinN Report 11 Jul 2013 14:46

Many happy memories of Whitley Bay and Cullercoats as a child. Sandcastles, candy floss, ice cream, the Spanish City, then a fish and chip tea. What more could a bairn need! :-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 11 Jul 2013 14:25

GP I grew up living opposite Tynemouth Longsands.....and on school holidays mam always knew where to find us :-D

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 11 Jul 2013 10:11

Goodmorning MotownGal,
I'm glad that it has jogged your memory about Marsden Grotto. Over the years I have visited all the places that have been mentioned but spent most of my younger days at Whitley Bay, Cullercoats and Tynemouth Long Sands.
I have found a site showing many photos of Marsden Grotto which you may find interesting.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marsden+grotto&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PXTeUeuyD9Te7AbUkYGYAg&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=664

GP

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 11 Jul 2013 09:08

Marsden Grotto! That's it! That jogged our memory.

OH's family from there, he was born down sarf. But he visited on a regular basis when it was still back to back houses, and social clubs. He said it always felt 'warm' in the clubs. A sense of belonging.

His family also worked in the Glass works and the docks as shipbuilders, so we will tune in again next week.

:-) :-)

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 10 Jul 2013 23:20

Thought it was interesting, but agree too much info. crammed into one programme. Next week's will probably appeal to me more when I hope shipping and fishing industries are shown.

Of course we're talking of the N.East when actually most of the programme centred on the North in general.....Lancashire ie. Blackpool ,Manchester and Liverpool also very interesting.

As I said previously, my maternal ancestors lived and worked by the Tyne but GGrandmother & her kin came from Alnmouth, N/Land.... with beautiful beaches and coastline stretching from Berwick to Tynemouth.

Whatever trade your family was part of in those far off days was tough and back-breaking.

Mau

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 22:23

GinN - Your contribution to our history has been invaluable :-D ;-)

GP

GinN

GinN Report 10 Jul 2013 22:10

Well, I did stamp the miners' library books! :-D :-D

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 10 Jul 2013 21:59

GinN - I would like to think you have contributed to the industrial revolution of the North in your own impeccable way. :-D ;-)

GP