General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who else used to do it?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 09:50

We were talking yesterday about the shops that used to be in Chichester. There was one in South Street called Russel Hillsdens where you could get round the end of the window and we had all been round there and stuck one arm and one leg out so we looked like Harry Worth.

Not recently mind.

I bet you all did it, but will you confess?

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 8 Jul 2013 09:53

I've never done that......I've never been to Chichester.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 10:03

It is a sad little thing you can do anywhere but, as with everything, Chichester is the best place.

GinN

GinN Report 8 Jul 2013 10:08

Yes, Sharron, I'm afraid I have! One boozy evening with my mates on Sunderland high street in the late sixties. We'd do anything then, no matter how ridiculous! :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 8 Jul 2013 10:10

Yes I will admit to it. There was a shop called "Home and Colonial" in Birmingham, many years ago with one of these mirrors, it was just so funny and hard to resist. I often saw adults having a go.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jul 2013 10:40

Yes I have done it..

In Leeds,Tower Arcade there was a Tate Sales Garage for little MG's.

My sister and I used to race down to get to the window/Mirror first.

By that brings back loads of memories of the 50's.

Thanks Sharron for bringing back some good memories. :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 11:10

That was mid sixties. I know it was because I was at school in Chichester then.

jax

jax Report 8 Jul 2013 11:13

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIPihrhzr-U

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 11:29

That's the very one.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 8 Jul 2013 12:53

Yep me too and fallen about laughing at how funny it was, well it was at the time. :-D

Wend

Wend Report 8 Jul 2013 13:00

'Course I have :-D

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 8 Jul 2013 13:56

OK I CONFESS I did it at a meet in Portmouth a few years ago. :-D :-D

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 8 Jul 2013 15:20

I remember when RUSSLE HILLSDON'S was a toy shop back in about 1953. When we used to go to vist our grandparents who lived in a cottage by the canna,l oppsite the gasworks now PO sorting office, we always spent time looking at the toys.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 15:46

They sold guns and sporting clothes and I can remember there being toys in that area somewhere but what a fine combination, toys and guns!

The little Railway Inn was there by the canal too. I only ever went in there once and Charlie Harding's scrapyard was by the canal.

Now I'm off!

Edit: It was Perce Harding had the scrapyard.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 8 Jul 2013 16:38

Grandma used to walk to the Railway inn with a jug & get a pint of stout for granddad. Do you remember the cottages, a terrace of three, oppsite the road by the police station?

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 16:43

Aren't they still there?

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 8 Jul 2013 16:54

No, i cann't remember when they where pulled-down. It was about the late 1950's. COVER'S timber yard was there , then OSBOURNE'S the builder's, now Apartments. Yes, i now remember the guns, were they upstairs?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2013 18:19

'Fraid I regularly used to do it - and still do if I can find a suitable window :-0

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jul 2013 18:47

Oh yes..............it is the law I think :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jul 2013 20:35

Definitely Kitty!!
Part of the process of life.
First you embarrass your children, then your grandchildren :-D