General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What wouldn't you eat?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 8 Jul 2013 16:40

And why?

A few months ago there was a lot of talk about horse meat getting into the food chain. The main concern amongst people at the time was that they could have eaten horse meat without knowing it. But what if you went into a restaurant and it was clearly marked on the menu? Koreans reputedly eat dog meat. If you went into a Korean restaurant would you order a dog steak?

In prehistoric times if a horse or dog died, the people would have eaten it. So why have we changed?

A short time ago I saw somebody on FB complaining about people in certain parts of the world eating puffin. Would you eat that? What about whale meat? How is eating puffin or whale any different to eating cod or pheasant?

Where do you draw the line between what you will or won't eat? And why?

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Jul 2013 16:48

I wouldn't eat any meat because I am lucky enough to live in a society where I can afford to choose.

When times were very hard in the twenties and thirties my grandfather would provide what he could for his family. I believe Fred has eaten blackbird and gull because his father managed to kill them and I have eaten rook.

I was telling somebody about eating weeds the other day and they thought it was disgusting but many weeds are garden escapees that have fallen out of favour.

The Romans kindly introduced ground elder as a vegetable. Thank you so much Romans!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jul 2013 16:52

Strange isn't it? I eat most meats and fish but I wouldn't eat dog (I suppose if I was lost in the jungle and had no food but a dog showed up I probably would but not as a normal meal). Not sure about puffin, like other birds except the ones that we are used to eating, pidgeon, chicken, duck goose etc, not sure about swan either.

I am not sure if I have tried whale meat or not, travelling abroad you come across different fish/meats. But I think it will be a meaty fish (or is it meat) like shark and tuna and I am not keen on those. I definitely couldn't bring myself to eat Dolphin unless in an emergency.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jul 2013 16:53

Sorry, you asked reasons. Just instinct I think.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 Jul 2013 16:58

Depends how well it is farmed I believe many of the exotic foods like dog and monkey are often treated very cruelly if a guinea pig, or dog is humanly treated what's the difference from a lamb (sorry Errol) unless you are opposed to eating all meat.

How do people feel about eating Long Pig? How desperate would you be to survive if the only food was your dead comrade?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2013 16:58

I couldn't eat snake....... but my brother has!

:-0

Do I have to give a reason????????

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 8 Jul 2013 16:59

I would not eat a carnivore, so definitely not dog.

On the farms my ancestors farmed nothing edible went to waste, but I do not think they would have eaten their dogs or cats. (though it seems repulsive, possibly their carcasses would have been eaten by the living dogs.)

I will give most things a try as long as I know what it is, but do not like the feel of molluscs in my mouth, so like winkles, snails are not a thing I would choose on a menu.

Whales/dolphins are endangered so I do think they should not be on any menu, for that reason I only eat line caught tuna.

Graham

Graham Report 8 Jul 2013 17:02

I respect the fact that vegetarians don't eat meat at all. But why do some people eat certain meats and not others? :-S

I don't think whales are actually fish. But that brings up another interesting point. Why do some people not eat red meat? If you eat chicken or fish, why not beef or pork?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 8 Jul 2013 17:05

I certainly wouldn't eat Puffin,Whale and dog.

Bad enough the japanese killing the whales for blubber.
I have a conscience.

I have eaten Horsemeat in Spain and the Canaries.
Not a bad taste as meat goes.

We used to eat Rabbit and horsemeat just after the war and they made good stews but Mum didn't tell us at all.

We found out by watching her skin the rabbit's.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2013 17:06

"How do people feel about eating Long Pig? How desperate would you be to survive if the only food was your dead comrade?"

As a veggie I would actually have no problem with that lol...or they eating me if the circumstances were reversed ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jul 2013 17:08

I think that is a health thing Graham. Red meet is said to be more fatty and thus more likely to cause heart problems, blocked arteries etc.

Carol P yes, agree endangered species should not be offered as food. I will eat the occasional muscle, winkle, cockle and have actually eaten a snail but not my favourite.

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~

~~ Jules in Wiltshire~~ Report 8 Jul 2013 17:15

I would try anything once!! :-S

Jules x

GinN

GinN Report 8 Jul 2013 17:16

On a Kenyan holiday, we were often served "steak", but the meat wasn't specified, nor, for some reason, did we ask. Everything was delicious, whether it was wildebeest, zebra, or gazelle, we'll never know - but it did us no harm! :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2013 17:19

I tried it once, but never again!

Sea cucumber.

:-(

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jul 2013 17:23

As it stands, I wouldn't eat anything that has had a face......no siree

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jul 2013 17:32

does a sea cucumber have a face?

:-D

It's a sea slug

Gee

Gee Report 8 Jul 2013 17:43

I don't know Scozz, I don't eat anything from the sea either!

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 8 Jul 2013 19:09

I will eat almost every thing but heart, always hated, then after having heart attack no way lol.

Carol

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 8 Jul 2013 19:12

I would probably try anything except.............................shellfish *shudders*

They absolutely freak me out. :-(

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 Jul 2013 19:53

A customer once told be her husband was strict veggie he would not eat anything with eyes.
I asked how he got on with potatoes? ;-)