General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't think of a title for this.......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Jul 2013 03:52

:-D

Last night, talking to a man who said his wife wasn't speaking to him.

Why not?

Because I took all the doors off the kitchen cabinets.

Why?

To stop the cockroaches.

??

Looked at me like I was nuts.........

Because cockroaches like the dark. I took the doors off the cupboards so they wouldn't go in there.

I HAD to ask......

What happens at night?

??

Well, do you leave the lights on in the kitchen?

He went red, got up & walked away.

No wonder his wife isn't speaking to him.

Tichey

Tichey Report 13 Jul 2013 04:40

Like this. Thanks for the smirk.

Tichey.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Jul 2013 12:09

We were living with our son in Manley Aus got up one night and saw in the half dark something scoot down the hall put the light on super quick and saw horror of horrors a cockroach it got to the front door and got under it well every night it paid us a visit I was having fits sprayed it every time but no in it came put towels down against the door but it got caught up in it then on our last day opened the door and there it was on the mat dead....why couldn't it have rolled over the first night and died instead of me tucking the covers in around us even though it was so hot to stop it coming on to the bed , could never get rid of it cos son and OH slept through all night .. ugh horrible horrible things can't stand them now feeling itchy :-|

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Jul 2013 12:13

The cockroaches where we live are large brown things & they fly!!

We thought our Aussie cockroaches were big until we saw the ones in Hong Kong. EEeeeerrrrkkk! No kidding, you can hear them walking around during the night. Clomp Clomp........ sounds like hobnail boots.

A friend in Hong Kong said he used to have rats in his apartment........... but the roaches ate them! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jul 2013 12:35

Hate cockroaches. One of our first visits to Lanzarote we atyed in a hotel and arrived very late at night, were taken to our room by a young porter, he opend the door, when the light went on this really huge cockroach 'galloped' across the room towards us, he booted it like a football out the door and into the undergrowth. didn't see another one all the time we were there.

This time in the first place we stayed, we were ground floor level, didn't see any until our last evening when other half went into the spare bedroom and one ran under the skirting board (there was no obvious gap). I got the spray provided and sprayed all along the board edge. Next morning 3 dead and one hald dead which was despatched outside. Horrid things.

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Jul 2013 12:45

Oh I don't like this thread far too creepy for my liking didn't realise they could fly OMG not going back to Oz no way ...shaking my hair out ugh! :-0 :-0 :-0

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 13 Jul 2013 13:11

I hate cockroaches too.Recently at my work,a customer wanted to return some pillowcases.I opened up the paper bag that they were in,and nearly died of shock,there was a very large cockroach inside!!

I raced outside the shop,threw the bag on the ground,and stomped on it.I can't stand the horrible,dirty things!! :-0 :-0 :-0

Margot.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 Jul 2013 13:34

When we lived in Spain,we didnt have cockroaches in our first house,but we moved near to Gibraltar and the house hadn't been lived in for some time,and my OH lifted the main drain cover outside and they came out in hundreds.I wanted to leave...put me off living there
.We called the community president and we had the appropriate department come out and fumigate and destroy their nest or whatever.
We bought a machine that plugged in and made some sort of noise we couldn't hear and that seemed to do the trick .
I love the country ,but not all the insects that go with it.

wisechild

wisechild Report 13 Jul 2013 14:36

Our house is close to a row of restaurants, so we get HUGE cockroaches by the dozen, even though the restaurants have to be fumigated at the start of every season, by law.
They come up the drains, in the walls, every which way, but the cat loves them.
He knows where they come in & will spend hours watching the access points. Then he pounces on them & chases them round the patio until they die.
He gets most disappointed when they won´t play any more & goes off to wait for another one. He´s seldom disappointed. :-0 :-0 :-0

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Jul 2013 15:27

Wisechild where about are you ... in GB?? Hope not we are just getting ready to go out for a family meal tonight, shall be looking everywhere under plates you name it! :-0
Again when in Aus I was left holding the baby while the rest went somewhere. Baby and I were sitting in Thredbo the skiing village and we sat in a covered passage way between shops I kept hearing like stones hitting the ground but couldn't see anything then suddenly a cockroach dropped right at our feet looking up to the roof it was a mass of heaving black like out of a movie well it took us 2 secs to get out of there ..... what surprised me was that they should be found so high up a mt. don't know what they would live on as the place was so clean :-S

wisechild

wisechild Report 13 Jul 2013 15:37

Panic not Nolls.
I live in Menorca where the public health department wage constant war against infestations in restaurants.
Unfortunately because of the heat & humidity it´s pretty much a losing battle.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Jul 2013 02:17

when we first moved here, there was a lot to do in the house & garden.

At the end of the driveway was a silly round "garden bed" surrounded by rocks, and full of weeds. In the way and pointless.

Removed the rocks, pulled up the weeds, and arranged for some guys to fill in the space with concrete............ but we had to dig up some of the soil first.

Spade in....... shove..........I ran away SCREAMING............ OH had dug into a cockroach nest............ there were THOUSANDS of them, running all over the driveway.

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 Jul 2013 05:17

This story may give you the real heebie jeebies!

We spent our first year in North America in Austin, Texas, and had to deal with the local cockroaches.

They were actually kind of pretty (if you like that kind of thing!!) .............small, and a goldeny brown colour

We had to follow a routine ......... every Saturday morning, we cleaned the apartment thoroughly. Then we got out the most foul smelling insecticide spray, and OH sprayed it all round the skirting boards, including inside all the closets.

Then we went out for a couple of hours to allow the smell to dissipate.

That kept the apartment clear for a week ............... we only actually saw one inside in the 11 months that I lived there.

BUT ................ I got a job as a research technician at the university, and my boss was sharing a lab with another scientist.

That other scientist was studying cockroaches .................. and not just any cockroaches, but ones that bore live offspring.

They actually laid their egg cases, then took the case back into their body, and the eggs developed inside them.

There was a bank of plastic boxes and cages along the back wall of the lab, and every morning when I opened the lab door and turned on the light, there would be a rustling sound as all the inhabitants hid themselves among the paper "nesting" material.

Boy, was I glad I wasn't working for him!!

The worst was a cockroach that came from Cuba.

I'm not kidding, it was only half grown, and it was about 5" or 6" long .................... and if you scared it, it hissed at you :-0

One day, one of the "expectant" mothers escaped, it was due to give birth "any day", and there was an absolute panic ........................ no-one liked the idea of it giving birth somewhere in the building and thus getting an infestation of a "foreign" cockroach.

There was no sight of it for about a week, so all seemed lost, then our janitor walked in the lab, held out his clenched fist, and said "is this what you were looking for? I found it near the Coke machine".

Now, he was a big man, the size of a large American footballer, and his fist was huge .................. there between his thumb and forefinger were these 2 waving feelers!

The cockroach almost filled his fist.

It had NOT given birth

They were building a new building for this department to move into it ............... we actually moved in 2 days before I left the job. My boss got his own lab, and the cockroach guy was elsewhere in the new building!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Jul 2013 07:22

SHUDDERS!!!!!!!!

Thanks Sylvia, you've made my day :-(

I remember shaking the computer keyboard in Eastern Europe........ had to every morning........ to get the cockroaches out.

We danced La Cucharacha every day.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Jul 2013 07:28

Here you go ~ something very different for dinner :-0

http://edibug.wordpress.com/list-of-edible-insects/

Anyone fancy a scorpion on a stick?

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 14 Jul 2013 17:21

Lady S ....UGH!

I think this thread is turning into a Horror thread - not for the faint hearted . :-0

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 14 Jul 2013 18:57

If there is something that I hate and it´s cockroaches .... they make my skin clammy and cold. I have always known that you can decapitate a cockroach and it can live for upto 9 days, I have always known that if you tread on a pregnant one you will carry the eggs on your shoe and they will still live. What I didn´t know until I came to Spain that they really do grow huge up to 3inches and more and that I am more frightened of them then they are of me. :-0
I hate heights also but I would rather walk outside of the Empire State building then be on the ground if it was full of cockroaches.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Jul 2013 06:01

Up to 3 inches?

That's a small one!!

We're lucky, we have water dragons that eat cockroaches...... but I don't want the dragons inside the house! :-D