General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I suffer along with so many others

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Jul 2013 12:02

who do not like sport. One does not have to watch you may say - aah but on morning news programmes and others it is discussed at length.

We have had the football (recently finished but ready to begin) the T.T., Golf Masters USA, major horse racing events e.g. Ascot, Wimbledon and the British Open Golf competition begins next week apparently. :-\ :-\ :-\

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 13 Jul 2013 12:08

I rarely watch tv... sport or anything else. I'd rather play on the computer or read a book.

It's winter here, so it's football season....... for OH that means Rugby (Union & League) and Aussie Rules.

I gave up trying to watch any of it........ he flicks back and forth, watching all the games he can find!

:-|

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2013 12:27

well tuf u r in a minority
I don't like lots of things that r popular (*) I just get on with life not moan to message boards

(*) a short list but I have more.
Amid all this misery why would you deny us the Ashes, Ascot and the British Open, small islands of sanity in a world gone mad.

general misuse of mobile phones varying from rude, dangerous to outright homicidal / suicidal

Big Brother, X- Factor and any kind of reality tv

the "school run" a conspiracy by mum's net against people trying to get to work or run a business

the Australian cricket team, the world's champion whingers

convenience meals - apart from costalot for notverymuchrealfood they smell dreadful

smoking - I would ban street smoking tomorrow and fine buts on the ground 100 bucks

downtown in most English cities has become a weekend nogo zone thanks to large numbers of young people supposedly too poor to save for a mortgage or if not that a rental deposit smashed out of whatever mind they still have

compulsory Radio4 on digital radio - this presages the end of LM radio cricket too

Kirsty Wark ( Newsnight for the few who may not know )

park and ride

call waiting systems aka customer service but with the IngSoc now spoken in what used to be England it means the precise opposite

the unbelievably awful standard of English driving

people who expect you to journey in a car ( or large red bus ) with 30 C temp and no air conditioning - is this what the "cuts" demand ?
and in the same vein people who expect me to get into a small Fiat, Corsa or whatever - I am 1.9m and 210lb, it is not possible and any case no a/c

the various dystopian organisations which claim that they run the railways

Starbucks

GRU family tree tool - I like the new search gadgets but the new revised tree tool is top complicated and time consuming so I stick to another well known product which is ez and quick

etc

:-|

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Jul 2013 12:31

Rollo

In fact sports fans are the minority

The most popular sport in the UK is Anging.

Have said before I hate footie, golf etc., but will watch Rugby and enjoy Cricket.

But there is just too much sport on the telly, but that is all they have that is original!!

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Jul 2013 12:34

OH Go On Rollo The Red try and add something nice for a change maybe even funny (opps no don't try that) :-S

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Jul 2013 12:36

Chris I know what you mean I like bits of it but sometime gets too much. OH is dreadful on a Sat watching Match of the Day on TV and at the same time listening to his local football game on the radio! I ask You what can you do?? ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 13 Jul 2013 12:38

I could make a list but I will just go with my current 'bete noire'

I am so fed up with people saying how wonderful the weather is...especially when the stupid woman who has just said the pollen count is "very high" and then ends with "have a lovely day" :-P How the flip can you have a lovely day when your eyes are itching, your nose is twitching like a rabbit and you can't breath without sniffing :-(

edit sorry Chris went off topic there, but I don't mind the sports being on for those who want them as long as there is something else to do or watch. I'm just a bit fed up of seeing the great outdoors ( principally my garden) and not being able to venture out. Moan over :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2013 12:53

"The most popular sport in the UK is Anging."

Not sure what you mean by this.

In Christchurch, Dorset aging is a very popular sport. It leads the UK averages. Competitors like to use pimped up motability scooters capable of 6mph or more. They chase down their adversarys on pavements, zebra crossings, supermarkets and even street markets where one nearly scored a fatality last summer.

Christchurch is also well known for the quality of its angling.

Angling is the perfect sport on a hot summer's day, cast your fly and watch. Sharp reflexes needed. During the winter there is the infinite pleasure of meeting other anglers, tall fishy tales over a few glasses of malt and tying flies for the next season.
Then there are the perch pole fanatics, monster carp seekers ...
Yes, it is popular and no wonder.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Jul 2013 12:55

do you think that SOME sports are discriminated against?

or are over popularised?

was listening to an article this morning regarding the publicity and political bandwagon since Andy Murrays' success.

Tanny Gray Tompson didnt seem to thinks so,. a comment was made regarding the scottish saltire being flown outside No.10(I dont know if that REALLY happened)

and a question was raised would they have done the same If it was an ENGLISH man that had won Wimbledon?

I rather think not!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jul 2013 13:51

Table football, pool, hanging around on street corners watching the girls go by, office paper darts, supermarket queue jumping, pavement cycling, dark cycling ( no lights ), how-many-beer-jugs-you-can-hold-at-once, BBQs, kite flying, beach combing, tossing the caber, curling, cheese rolling, find the remote, pheasant shooting, ploughing with horses, climbing, hang gliding, tomb stoning, skiing in Scotland, point to point horse racing, go karting, 2CV (dodosh) racing, motocross, orienteering, dressage, horse carriage racing, polo

are all popular UK sports which either do not get very much telly time or if they do it is often with dark disapproval. Maybe if some or all of the advertising and reality shows were dropped then they some of the above could find their place in the sun if not sky.

In any case Youtube and Netflix are taking over the telly from the broadcasters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SybuQOke3TA

wisechild

wisechild Report 13 Jul 2013 14:12

Detest all sport on TV with a vengeance.
I would rather watch paint dry :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 13 Jul 2013 14:21

I would divorce mine but I need him too much!!!

I would not even begrudge the sport IF there was a choice of a film (non repeat) come to think of it anything non repeat except reality shows, X factor etc!!!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Jul 2013 14:34

I'm fortunate in that my oh is almost as not interested in sport as I'm not. He watches the Grand Prix sometimes and occasional cricket but football never tarnishes our TV screen. We both like to watch athletics sometimes but only if there is nothing better on.

There is far too much sport of particular types on terrestrial TV mainly football. TV companies take off regular and popular programmes for matches not even involving UK teams.

There's usually something else on but it does annoy me when the alternative is westerns or war films, also designed for men.

I can't stand reality TV either, far too much of that as well.

wisechild

wisechild Report 13 Jul 2013 14:39

Have no objection to OH watching sport, although the channel hopping drives me insane.
Just wish he would allow me the same freedom to spend time on the PC or to read a book.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Jul 2013 19:21

Oh sorry missed the G Angling (methinks you were being disingenuous there!)

No one single sport has more fans and participants than this

If you take each individual sport then look at the amount of fans for that sport then in every single case NO sport has the majority of supports over non supporters.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 14 Jul 2013 02:07

Who is moaning? I just stated a fact.

I like watching some sports, but get annoyed when OH flips from one game to another and back again, all in a minute!

I actually enjoy watching Sumo wrestling! All the business with the salt etc, fascinating stuff!

:-D

Susan

Susan Report 14 Jul 2013 06:07

Rollo ..you have gone and dissapointed me now.

I am Aussie and love the cricket.

"the Australian cricket team, the world's champion whingers"

Watched every ball........ I think it was the Poms doing the Whinging first ,the first whinging from the Aussies was that horendous decission of not out to Broad ,it did not make much difference after all as he was out early the next day.

!!!Sorry spell check is not working!!!

I wonder what we have in store tonight.. ;-)

Go the Aussies :-D

Sue :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jul 2013 09:41

If people want to watch sport on TV, I’ve no problem with that. What I object to is the apparent blanket coverage of say the Football WC, Wimbledon or the Olympics which monopolises one or two main terrestrial channels.

As they tend to be on during the summer months, the programmes shown on other channels are often repeats. Those that make the decisions seem to think that we should all either be avidly following the sports, or spending the summer in Mustique or wherever the ‘in place to be’ is now

Susan

Susan Report 14 Jul 2013 09:45

I do agree with you Det ;-),they do that in OZ too.

I can't stand the tennis but that gets blanket cover here as well :-(.

I make an exception when the cricket is on though :-D

Sorry :-D

Sue

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 14 Jul 2013 09:52

I can watch horse racing all day long. Football sometimes depends on who is playing cant stand to watch England there so pityful.
Never been one for athletics but was glued to the olympics last year maybe because it was on home soil.
Cant stand reality TV but do enjoy The jungle and used to adore moneky world. My daughter likes them all and some of them are vile and disgusting, and she loves the Kardashians and you dare try telling her its all staged and on your head be it. :-D