General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Water for our feathered bird friends...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Jul 2013 19:20

Don't forget to put water out for our feathered bird friends... Did you know that most birds lift their heads back after each sip to tip the water back down their throats, but pigeons don't. They immerse their entire beaks and then, using special throat muscles, just suck. (I have noticed this in my own garden.) Did you also know that it is very likely that birds descended from dinosaurs, strange but true ? What sort of feathered birds come into your garden ? Any other views on this subject, please post... :-D P.s. I wonder how they cope in this very HOT weather ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Jul 2013 19:36

They probably cope by flying off to Iceland! lol :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 16 Jul 2013 19:41

I do make sure the birds ahve water in my garden ...I have to bird baths and I always make sure they are full.....I have tits, robins , thrush(s), finches,pigeons, sparrows, a cuckoo I think too....

Lol at birdysaurus :-D

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 16 Jul 2013 19:44

No birds in the garden at the moment, I think they have all headed for woods nearby where they nest. But the hedgehogs are apparently suffering in this weather so water is out for them if no birds come down .

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 16 Jul 2013 20:04

I keep our bath full (or try to) but the neighbours cats keep drinking out of it too even though I have a dish for them and I have a funny feeling the birds don't come down very often now (they used to) because of the cats I might add not our own one she's to stupid to do such a thing ;-)

GinN

GinN Report 16 Jul 2013 20:11

We get a whole flock of goldfinches when we put sunflower hearts in the feeders, but not in the summer. We get a greater variety in the winter, including wagtails. At the moment, we mainly get chaffinches, greenfinches, robins, blackbirds and very greedy wood pigeons. My favourite visitors are a pair of mallard ducks, which waddle up from the village pond most days. They make free with the birds water, even though they have a whole pond to dabble in!

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 16 Jul 2013 21:05

I have an old dustbin lid that I fill with water when I do my evening dead heading & watering session each evening.

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Jul 2013 21:20

I have a couple of containers filled with stones and water, with two stone grey frogs in the middle on my low wall in my garden. In the morning all the water will have gone... so, I think the cats, and foxes are also making good use of them. I have to refill every morning, but that's ok. :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Jul 2013 21:25

I mainly get wood pigeons, blue and great tits, robins, black birds (the female being brown), plus a few others. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Jul 2013 23:07

We also tend to forget about insects, they enjoy a drink too. I've just been sitting out in my garden... lovely and cool! A fox jumped over, but as soon as I made a sound, he was off!

Leslie

Leslie Report 17 Jul 2013 19:29

I fill or top up 7 bird baths every morning...Love watching them have a dip..The blackbirds also use the stream/cascade from header pond to middle one especially when the waters flowing.....LES...

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jul 2013 21:11

Sounds good Leslie! :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 30 Jul 2013 18:06

A very interesting book called: "THE BIRD" A natural history of who birds are, where they came from... and how they live... by Colin Tudge. A very interesting read, and the book was about $30.00 (15 pounds), and now only 6.99 (it's a hardback as well), at 'Postscript' books online... May have a few left, well worth a buy; I've got mine. :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Jul 2013 03:50

Sounds good Heather.

We have mainly blackbirds and fat pigeons at the mo with the odd sparrow as well. Over the last few months we have had robins, tits, and magpies and there were several nests in the vicinity too.

We have several containers with water in but don't they get slimy and mucky, I clean them every couple of days and make sure they always have water in. I am still putting scraps out as well, had some stale cherries and the blackbird was enjoying those and a squishy banana was a favourite for him yesterday.

Lizx

GHeather

GHeather Report 31 Jul 2013 10:49

Ok thanks for that Purple S D. :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 31 Jul 2013 13:24

Put lots of water/food out daily,get lots of diferent birds in garden,its very interesting to watch them and their habits. I,ve got a book called "Bird Book for the Pocket" it was published in 1933 by Edmund Sandras, it give details of the habits/habitats etc even the Latin Names for them,makes interesting reading.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Aug 2013 06:45

I got o.h. a bird book a few years back and put it with a pair of binoculars for his birthday pressie. He will take that when we go up north next week, we will be staying in the middle of nowhere and 2 mins from a river so he can stroll off there and take a look.

The book is called Birds of Britain and Europe but it's a bit too heavy to take when we go abroad and we don't spot many birds around either, only the odd sparrow type bird. It's by Jim Flegg and Davd Hosking.

Lizx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 1 Aug 2013 07:35

We have squirrels who share the bird bath with the birds. They chase the birds out when they want a drink.

I know a lot of people don't like magpies but I've got quite fond of the magpie family that have taken up residence. Their attempts to use the feeders meant for smaller birds have me in stitches.

GHeather

GHeather Report 1 Aug 2013 12:43

The birds really need that water today!!!