General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What tips do you have for keeping cool ?

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jul 2013 12:06

Very hard to move about in this HOT weather... much better when it's cooler! I don't think I could cope living in a HOT country, do my head in! lol I've often heard that they have a different type of heat, can anyone explain more about this ? Probably something to do with each countries location in the world.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 18 Jul 2013 12:27

If you have to go out - either on foot, in the car, or maybe to walk the dog, or even just to sit in the garden, here's my tip for keeping cool.

A couple of hours before you go -
Soak a flannel in cold water and wring it out.
Roll it as tight as you can and place in the freezer.

When it's frozen, remove it from freezer and, keeping it rolled tight, pop it into a sandwich bag (or similar). That way it's easy to take with you, in your pocket or handbag.
The fact that it's rolled up tight will ensure it retains its cold state for a while.
Then, whilst you are out, when you need to cool off just wipe the cold flannel over your face and neck (having removed it from the sandwich bag :-) ), roll it up tight again and pop it back in the plastic bag.....it should retain some of its cool for another couple of goes. Or take more than one flannel ;-)

Karen

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 18 Jul 2013 12:35

GHeather,
I think what is meant by a different type of heat is what is referred to as a dry/arid heat , and a humid/wet heat. It can vary enormously between countries depending on whether the air attracts any moisture.
For example, when I was in Riyadh (Saudi), temperatures could get up to 50c in the summer, but it was such a dry heat, being nowhere near mountains or the coast, just desert, that I didn't feel sticky at all since there was no moisture in the air. It was bearable.
Whereas when I lived in Qatar, a peninsula surrounded by sea, the months between May and September were truly horrendous because of the high humidity and it was pretty much unbearable to be outside.
Karen

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Jul 2013 12:57

we put the air con on in the bedroom and a fan
also we open the loft hatch
as it lets the hot air escape into the loft :-D :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 18 Jul 2013 13:24

Copious amounts of Iced Spritzler (In Large Glass) also run cold water over your wrists (Where you take your Pulse) it helps cool you down. :-D :-D :-D

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 18 Jul 2013 14:45

Luv the heat but it is getting to the stage when air conditions are needed in UK - who would have ever thought possible

:-D :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jul 2013 15:23

Thanks Karen for the info. :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jul 2013 15:29

I know one thing about this HOT weather, just goes to show you how powerful our star the SUN is!!! WOW!!! Also, to think there are much bigger stars (suns) out there in the universe! I was thinking, I wonder how hot it would have been when the dinosaurs were on Earth ? Mind you depends on what period, because they were on the Earth for about 165 million years... anyway, I think it must have been quite hot at times!

Haribo

Haribo Report 18 Jul 2013 15:31

I heared about the lifting the loft hatch tip yesterday on the news, tried this last night and was suprised at the difference it made, had a much better nights sleep.

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jul 2013 15:33

Interesting idea there Haribo, a very good idea, I think. :-D

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Jul 2013 17:39

We have plain cream roller blinds on all the windows and keep them down all day -there is still enough light to live by. In the evening we put up the blinds and open the windows - leaving upstairs open all night. The cool air flowing through seems to keep the house comfortable.

An added advantage is that the blinds make an extra layer against the cold in winter!

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jul 2013 21:55

My tip: Put four fans on... and sit in the middle! :-D Don't forget to sign for autographs later... especially for your number one fan! lol :-D ;-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 19 Jul 2013 07:15

....or get a/c fitted in every room of the house :-D :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 Jul 2013 11:34

According to a newspaper today, after the weekend... going to get even HOTTER!!! SHOCKER!!! lol :-0 :-| :-P :-S Mind you, they put it on a bit, why ? Helps to sell their newspaper! However, I think they might be right this time!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 19 Jul 2013 12:36

I too lived for a long time in some very hot places, even hotter than Saudi and with worse humidity then Qatar. I used to find it very funny to watch the antics of Brits coming out for a few days from London / USA.

(1) contrary to what most Europeans think it is best to be fully covered especially outside - light floating clothes are best eg for a man long cotton chinos, loose cotton shirt, light hat - keeps the sun off and stops yr brain boiling.

(2) cold beer feels great but too much alchohol is a terrible idea and a big part of all the sudden rise in A&E admissions ; drink lots of water and fruit juices etc

(3) before modern AC was invented very hot parts of the world devised a system of AC which worked by drawing a draught of air across water. This still works. Put a container of cold water ( ice in it even better ) in from of a decent fan and the cooling air will feel good, repeat for as many fans as possible

(4) do not sunbathe for more than 15-30 mins at a time or more than twice a day

(5) trad English cooking is a disaster, Mediterranean / Middle East / Indian / Indonesian / Mexican recipes much better.

(6) (UK only) if your car does not have a/c then for the next wheels seriously think about it, especially if you live south of the Trent.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 19 Jul 2013 13:34

Going on from No 3 of Rollo's post...before the days of a/c......if you don't have a fan, you can try to create your own draught, something I used to do in one place we lived when the a/c was constantly breaking down.
Even if there is only the slightest breeze you can create a draught through the house by opening windows (not those facing the sun) and pulling the room doors almost closed, say, all bar an inch or two, and then wedge the doors at that position to stop them slamming shut.

Oh, if you haven't got door wedges , you can easily make your own.
Get a wine cork (now don't tell me you don't have one or two of those!!) and using a very sharp knife, slice the cork length-ways and diagonally, thereby creating two wedge shapes. Easy Peasy.
These wedges are also especially handy to carry in your pocket/handbag as an aid to stop pesky wobbly tables in restaurants. Since a wobbly table is one of my pet hates, I use the wine cork wedges idea frequently.
Got the idea from the food critic himself, A A Gill :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 Jul 2013 19:24

Cool, born in Kent. Some of my relatives were also born in Kent. :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Jul 2013 20:29

dont forget your pets need keeping cool to
my puppy has ice pops during the day
and we bought a builders plastering bath
and have filled it with water in the garden

the puppy is in and out the water all day
and having great fun
and with a bit of shampoo added
she is getting clean at the same time:-D :-D

the cats sit under the fan when they are feeling hot
and i give a light dusting of water through out the day
but touchwood has been sleeping in the bathroom sink
during the heat wave :-D :-D

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 19 Jul 2013 22:22

Keep all the curtains shut. Go to the nearest large shopping mall, if you go by car, park under cover. Visit each shop until you find a cool one. Boots is good. Linger and browse for as long as possible.

GHeather

GHeather Report 19 Jul 2013 22:27

I like it grannyfranny! Better still, sleep in one of those shops all night...!!! lol :-D :-D ;-)