General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desiderata

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jul 2013 23:22

- by Max Ehrmann

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann c.1920

Max Ehrmann was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, on September 16, 1872. His parents were German immigrants.

:-D A comment on FB reminded me of this...so here 'tis for those who can manage the going placidly, or like me wish they could lol

Allan

Allan Report 20 Jul 2013 23:28

Very poignant, RR :-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 20 Jul 2013 23:29

Dear Rambles

Hello

Like a beautiful and soft balm to sooth.

A lovely piece of verse. :-)

Take gentle care
Very best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 20 Jul 2013 23:30

I think you may have to wait until you are very old, Rose, or maybe I was a slow learner :-D <3

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 20 Jul 2013 23:30

I love this, thank you Rose...............now breathe 2 3 4 ;-)

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 20 Jul 2013 23:31

It is a beautiful world Rose, with many wonderful things in it, and more lovely people than not.

I am mostly happy, I have lots to be thankful for, and many gorgeous people in my life, who I love, and they love me back, what more can I ask...nothing at all.

:-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Jul 2013 23:41

I had forgotten how true that prose was.

Another Max Ehrmann poem

"A Prayer"

Let me do my work each day; and if the darkened hours of despair overcome me, may I not forget the strength that comforted me in the desolation of other times.

May I still remember the bright hours that found me walking over the silent hills of my childhood, or dreaming on the margin of a quiet river, when a light glowed within me, and I promised my early God to have courage amid the tempests of the changing years.

Spare me from bitterness and from the sharp passions of unguarded moments. May I not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit.

Though the world knows me not, may my thoughts and actions be such as shall keep me friendly with myself.

Lift up my eyes from the earth, and let me not forget the uses of the stars. Forbid that I should judge others lest I condemn myself.

Let me not follow the clamor of the world, but walk calmly in my path.

Give me a few friends who will love me for what I am; and keep ever burning before my vagrant steps the kindly light of hope.

And though age and infirmity overtake me, and I come not within sight of the castle of my dreams, teach me still to be thankful for life, and for time's olden memories that are good and sweet; and may the evening's twilight find me gentle still.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jul 2013 23:50

Hello ladies :-) I'm glad you like this too.

BC I suspect that age isn't going to do it, I think it would take 'being born again, but born different' lol

sniff, that last bit's made me tearful Marie Celeste :-D and reminded me of this
( which also makes me sniff lol)

"SOFTLY along the road of evening,
In a twilight dim with rose,
Wrinkled with age, and drenched with dew
Old Nod, the shepherd, goes.

His drowsy flock streams on before him,
Their fleeces charged with gold,
To where the sun's last beam leans low
On Nod the shepherd's fold.

The hedge is quick and green with briar,
From their sand the conies creep;
And all the birds that fly in heaven
Flock singing home to sleep.

His lambs outnumber a noon's roses,
Yet, when night's shadows fall,
His blind old sheep-dog, Slumber-soon,
Misses not one of all.

His are the quiet steeps of dreamland,
The waters of no-more-pain;
His ram's bell rings 'neath an arch of stars,
"Rest, rest, and rest again."

'Nod' by Walter De La Mare

Allan

Allan Report 21 Jul 2013 00:45

'Ere!! I'm no lady :-|

I'm not a gentleman either :-P

Wend

Wend Report 21 Jul 2013 00:45

Thankyou Rose - that was my grandmother's favourite poem. :-)

Edit - Nod the Shepherd

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Jul 2013 01:38

I used to have a copy of Desiderata, printed on lovely rice paper.

I wonder what I did with it?

:-S

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 Jul 2013 02:57

I have one too somewhere among all my bits and pieces LadyScozz, lovely words and I like the other poems on here too

Off to bed now

Night all

Lizx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 21 Jul 2013 06:00

Love Deserderata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDHoflDhAOo

Sadly I can't make it past the second sentence.

"Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story."

*narrows eyes*
You been looking at my FB page, our Rose? ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Jul 2013 08:31

Wise and beautiful words Rose. :-)