General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why does my ......

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 19:00

....laptop keep getting so hot. It has shut itself down a few times but l also shut it down on occasions too!!! Its really hot now on the mouse pad . Any ideas??

jude

edit a spelling mistake....

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 21 Jul 2013 19:03

Maybe the fan isn't working properly.
Can't help anymore than that sorry.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 21 Jul 2013 19:03

Is the fan kicking in?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Jul 2013 19:06

Perhaps the cooling fan has got stuck or needs a clean, only they pick up lots of particals......its could be overheating.

do you run it on a flat surface,,,,,,try a book underneath so the air can flow under it,but dont block the fan off,,,,

they can get sticky with tar from fags if you smoke round it,

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 21 Jul 2013 19:08

Happened to my gsons laptop. It was the fan Jude. Not that expensive if you know someone who repairs them as a hobby

Kuros

Kuros Report 21 Jul 2013 19:09

Mine went like this and hubby took the battery out of it and it's fine now.

Annie

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 19:09

The fan is on the side, l don't block it, but must admit l don't hear it now,.....so when l turn off which will be soon cause its very hot again, l'll give it a gentle poke:)

jude

Many thanks ;-)

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 19:10

l do have a very good neighbour, me thinks its time he worked for his Sunday roasts ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 21 Jul 2013 19:10

It could be a number of things - first thing to check is that fan is running ok.

Also, make sure that it is not full of dust.

On a modern laptop the fan should only really kick in when it gets really hot - if you want I can suggest some software which may help to diagnose the problem.

Kay - good advice

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 21 Jul 2013 19:13

Kuros is right in that it could be a battery problem - the diagnostic software I use would pinpoint that

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Jul 2013 19:25

Jude has it got a vent on the bottom as a small fan usually sits behind this,,,,,the fans are very small....usually LT have two.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 19:33

It has 4 vents on the bottom....l'm going to take the battery out and see what happens:) but l will turn it off first its blinky hot...

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Jul 2013 19:38

maybe the heatsink needs replacing?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 Jul 2013 19:46

you are not actually using it on your lap, are you?

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 21 Jul 2013 20:02

Just for info, I brought a gadget from poundland that raises the laptop from the table
It opens into a X shape and is slightly higher at the back which makes the keyboard easier to use as well as letting air circulate under the laptop.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 20:03

Bob.....noooooo, although l do sometimes, but l put it on a pillow:)

Well l have taken the battery out and its gradually getting hot already, only been on 5 mins

eRRol...l will check with neighbour in the morning, he's pretty good, come back if still a prob.

Off to bed now, l'm bored..Vic has had sport on all day, so l'm going to read:))

nite nite and thanks:)

jude x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 21 Jul 2013 20:04

JustGinnie....that sounds like a very good gadget, will look out for one...thank you :-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 21 Jul 2013 20:18

Well I never knew it had a fan :-S you learn something new on here every day :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 21 Jul 2013 20:23

Nolls mostly you wouldn't even hear it.

Be careful of these cheap laptop rests. Some of them actually block the airflow because the fans are not in the same place on all laptops.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 21 Jul 2013 20:31

on a pillow?

then the air isnt getting to it n its over heatin, mine does it if i have it on the bed, or sofa, but if the fan underneath isnt comeverd by anyting then she ok,