General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How did a Dog get that name...?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jul 2013 22:26

Greyhound: It was once called the graihound, because it originally came from Graikoi, which was the name of Greece! Terrier: Something to do with hunting... digging into the earth, gets it name from the latin word: terra, which means earth. Beagle: From the Gaelic word: beag, which means little. Mastiff: Italian for mastino, which means 'watchdog'. Poodle: From the German word: pudel, a 'puddle', because it has some link with water: a waterdog! Strange but true! Know any more... ? Anything interesting about your pet dog, or anything interesting about dogs in general ?? Please share... thanks :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jul 2013 22:31

I wonder what is the smallest dog in the World ? One to check online...

SheilaWestWilts

SheilaWestWilts Report 21 Jul 2013 22:31

Our dog is a Eurasier (a recognised breed now for a few decades) bred from Chow-Chow, German wolf-spitz and Samoyed - i.e. a bit of European and a bit of Asian :-D Most people think he's a Chow because he has the blue tongue!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jul 2013 22:39

Interesting that Sheila! :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 21 Jul 2013 22:46

Where did the word: Dog, come from ?

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Jul 2013 22:48

"He was treated like a dog" is an old expression to describe someone being mistreated.

I wonder where the expression originated because, in our house, our dog is looked after like a king - and rightly so.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 21 Jul 2013 23:57

Cor is Welsh for dwarf. Ci is Welsh for dog.

So corgi is a dwarf dog

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Jul 2013 00:04

My niece has a dog that is a shitpoo (and before anyone reports me, I'm not swearing - it's a cross between a shitzhu and a poodle).

I've seen "Bedsprings" advertised locally - they're a cross between Bedlington terriers and Springer spaniels.

Patricia

Patricia Report 22 Jul 2013 00:15

I was told where Collie comes from but I can't remember at the moment

But the Poodle /waterdog is correct, they were originally Retrievers from water and the 'Show' clip was actually a working clip. The hair was left long on the joints and chest area to protect it while in water.

A lot of breeds are named after places they were from, others after the first breeders like the Doberman and the Parson Jack Russell, others are descriptions like my Rough Collies as there are also Smooth Collies

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Jul 2013 00:20

Thanks for the info: John, MarieC, and Patricia, things I didn't know. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jul 2013 00:44

friend has a dog, cross Bulldog & Shihtzu!

It's a Bullsh!tz

:-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Jul 2013 10:45

Lol LadyScozz! :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 22 Jul 2013 10:51

i called my puppy a few choice words yesterday
when it dug my plant pots out for the second time
all over the newly washed patio and paths

none of which was the word labradoor ;-) ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Jul 2013 11:01

A few years ago I had an Australian Terrier.

Guess what his name was.

Bruce!!!!

:-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 22 Jul 2013 11:20

Our Rhodesian Ridgeback is easy

Place of origin and pattern of hair on their backs :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Jul 2013 17:04

The oldest breed of dog is the Saluki. :-)

Potty

Potty Report 22 Jul 2013 17:26

Collie seems to derive from coal - from their colour - or coolley - an extinct black-faced sheep .

Patricia

Patricia Report 22 Jul 2013 19:18

Thanks Potty it was the sheep story I knew of.

Not sure about the coal story as the Rough/Smooth Collie, which were called Scotch Collies at first, are mostly sable and white, the merles and tricolours are not so common.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jul 2013 20:49

I remember reading that Poodles had Irish Water Spaniel in their ancestry, which would explain the water connection too. They also have the curly coat that doesn't shed.

GHeather

GHeather Report 22 Jul 2013 23:09

Interesting Annx, thanks for that added info, brill! :-D