General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Power cuts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Jul 2013 22:51

Just had a power cut, groped my way to the kitchen to find the candles. Managed to find and light a couple then it all went back on......

There must have been another power-cut when I was away at the weekend because my microwave clock and radio alarm clock were flashing on my return...

Is anyone else in the London area experiencing this ?

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 23 Jul 2013 22:52

Is it back on now?

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Jul 2013 22:58

Yes thank you, it was only off for a matter of minutes, bit disconcerting though to be suddenly plunged in to darkness!

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 23 Jul 2013 23:00

Joeva in Essex we had power cuts last night :-( touch wood none since.

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Jul 2013 23:02

Thanks Lesley, not so far away then ..... must be the heatwave affecting the supply .. I hope !

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 23 Jul 2013 23:05

Ours was caused by the lightning :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jul 2013 01:25

I have a small, cheap torch in every room, except the two bathrooms.

Easy to reach, switch them on, and then find my way to the candle storage drawer.

I make sure that the torches all work at regular intervals.

I also always take a torch with me when go away ................ whether we are staying with friends or in a hotel/motel, it's easier to see my way to the loo in the middle of the night :-)

Joeva

Joeva Report 24 Jul 2013 08:36

Both of my torches were upstairs last night :-( Not any more will make sure in future have one very near to hand :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 Jul 2013 09:33

i have a torch in kitchen and by the bed,

i hate power cuts, as my alarm goes crazy when it comes back on, when it happens during the night it can be a bit panicky lol

Joeva

Joeva Report 24 Jul 2013 09:46

Same here Stray - it happened to me a few months back but luckily my son was staying over so wasn't so frightening ! :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 Jul 2013 10:24

oh that wwas lucky ;-)

i grab my burglar basher and go investigate :-)