General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Solicitors, Law Stationery Solicitors Ltd.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 09:44

I have come across this in my paperwork on my grandad on an agreement for him to be adopted in 1925.
Can somebody tell me about this company please. They were based at Chancery Lane, London.
Thank you.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 30 Jul 2013 09:57

http://www.londonremembers.com/subjects/solicitors-law-stationery-society-ltd

Is this a starting point for you Janene?

Good luck in your researching.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Jul 2013 10:02

Everything that comes up on a Google search seems to suggest that this is a much more recent company.

Official adoption didn't come in until 1927 so I would imagine going through a solicitor was as official as you could get in 1925.

Kath. x

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 30 Jul 2013 10:08

Hi I posted on the genealogy forum: I used to work for this company in the 70s. They published legal forms and law books. The adoption form was probably printed by them.
Get back to me if you want more company info. Chris

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 30 Jul 2013 10:21

Flicking throug a few items on the internet - I think that in the late 18th and early 19th century they were Legal Draftsmen and Publishers of legal documents in areas covering probate and estates.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 Jul 2013 11:26

This company was a legal publisher, printing all manner of standard legal forms. Another one was Oyez Ltd. Following up this company will tell you nothing about yr relatives or ancestors.

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 11:33

Where would I need to look? As adoption people will have nothing for me :-(

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 30 Jul 2013 11:34

Rollo is right - they just published the legal forms (used to work for Oyez back in day). It won't help you to research them.

Chrispynoodle

Chrispynoodle Report 30 Jul 2013 11:34

Rollo is right - they just published the legal forms (used to work for Oyez back in day). It won't help you to research them.

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 11:44

So where would I need to start looking? Was it legal then? No-one in my family knew about my late grandad being adopted until he died!
Please help :-(

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 12:31

Is there nothing I can do then?

Barbara

Barbara Report 30 Jul 2013 12:40

The information you have on the paperwork would, I presume, be your starting point.

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 12:41

But if I can't go to that company because they just print the paper off is it worth it? Will I actually find anything?

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 30 Jul 2013 12:46

Was there anything written on the paperwork you have, or was it just a blank form?

Barbara

Barbara Report 30 Jul 2013 12:47

Sorry I thought by "agreement" you meant that it was some sort of paperwork giving, perhaps, details of adopters and adoptees - sorry, probably me being a bit thick

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 30 Jul 2013 13:05

Barbara...............I think I need to read the posts better, I missed the word agreement altogether! :-(

Time for lunch I think :-S :-D

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 13:27

It looks like it was an agreement from the mother and adopted dad. At the top it says six pence (looks like a stamp).
I just want to know why thru solicitors and if its legal?

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 30 Jul 2013 13:42

Was it his birth mother and adopted father?

Have you got a birth or marriage certificate for your Grandad, either or both may help with the mystery.

Barbara

Barbara Report 30 Jul 2013 13:46

That I wouldn't know.

My maternal grandfather was brought up by an uncle and aunt, after his birth parents both died in the flu epidemic. They list him as "adopted son" when completing the census but, as has been said, official adoption did not come in until later but I presume that it was possible to have some form of legal agreement drawn up - I'm not too sure.

Janene

Janene Report 30 Jul 2013 14:02

Aye his birth mother x marks the spot and adopted dad. Found out once he died that he was adopted and I researched and found that his adopted mum was his aunt! I know parents and adopted parents name, I just wanted to find out why thru solicitors! He was adopted at age 12????