General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Electoral Registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 31 Jul 2013 16:49

Please does anyone know how many credits it takes to look at the electoral registers. Just had an email to say Genes have now got these on 2002 to 2013. I know it's £5 for 50 pay as you go credits but how many would i use at a time to go completely into a search.

Thanks for any advice

Marilyn :-)

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2013 16:53

10 credits...I tried it ....it tells you before it goes ahead with giving the details

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 31 Jul 2013 16:55

Thanks Jax :-D

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2013 16:56

I don't know if it is 10 for each one, but on people tracer it only uses one credit for the one name...so if there are 10 people called John Smith for instance it will let you look at them all

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2013 17:01

A lot of the time you can get this information for free from http://www.192.com.

Method 1:
Use Google UK, enter name as search term
eg: Homer J Simpson
Google will come back with what hits 192 has for this name all over the UK.
As the search return includes other household members it is often possible to pick the correct family.

Method 2:
Use 192 directly from the web browser; it allows 10 free searches each day.
In this case you need to input at least the county to get anywhere.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 31 Jul 2013 17:07

That's interesting, didn't know you could view it anywhere else on line. Thanks!

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2013 17:09

How can you get it free if it doesn't give the address Rollo

I search 192 first because it will show middle initial then it is easier to find on FMP or GR if you know the location and who they are living with.

You can also try btonline once you have an area...if you are lucky they may not be ex directory so get the address for free

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2013 17:18

A 192 free search will give you the post town.I would have thought that most often that was sufficient for FH purposes.

A full address and other info can of course be obtained for a fee.
Sometimes the full address comes with a free 192 search as you say along with phone details.

Ancestry has the UK phone book 1890 - 1982.

The details of the 1939 ID Card register for deceased people only are available for a fee of £ 42 per search.

jax

jax Report 31 Jul 2013 18:19

Trouble with GR and FMP I don't believe they give a postcode (FMP does not)

When I looked up myself when I lived in a road called "High Street" it could of been one of at least 6 villiages as it just gave

number
Street
District (nearest town)
Region
Area (postal code town)
County

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 31 Jul 2013 18:28

The whole current ER - including a good chunk if not all "private" registrations is on the net anyway along with all sorts of stuff that people imagine are secure.
Part of the "dark net", not something the average GR researcher is going to find on google.