General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

E Readers in Spain. Now I´m really confused.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Aug 2013 12:42

Have spent several days looking at various Kindles. I live in Spain & it seems that if I order from the English site, not only will I be charged 25 pounds for delivery, but several of the apps are only available in England.
If I order from the Spanish site, I get free delivery but the selection of books seems very limited (English ones that is)
This morning I have seen a Spanish E reader which appears to have everything that Kindle Fire has, but is €50 cheaper. It looks excellent & the lady in the shop assures me that she has sold several to English customers who have been able to download English newspapers, magazines & books with no problem....although I presume not from Amazon.
Any views please?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Aug 2013 12:48

If you buy a Kindle and have to pay £25.00 for the delivery, I can assure you that the selection the price of the books, from free to full price for new releases by popular authors. You Kindle will pay for itself within months.

I have had mine for nearly 2 years now, and have found some amazing new authors, many in the Free sections and most around the £1-£2 price range.

I would suggest you go onto the Amazon site and look at the books on offer and look at the Free Book selection. And also many books are offered for free for 1 day only from many popular authors.

Then decide if you think a Kindle is too expensive. And you can download books from any site onto any ereader these days.

And if you get a Kindle Fire, you then have a tablet computer as well....

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Aug 2013 12:59

Thanks for that input.
The E reader I am looking at (the Spanish one) appears to have exactly the same functions as the Kindle Fire.......music downloads, texts e books etc.
As I understand it, there are several apps which are available to Kindle Fire users in England which can´t be accessed by Fire users abroad. EG Love film instant.
I just wish I was more savvy about these things.
If I was in England, the choice would be clear, but being an English resident in Spain muddies the water a bit.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Aug 2013 13:46

Memory cells are not working......... a GR member (who posts regularly) lives in Spain, and has a kindle........ can't remember who.

Maybe change the title of the thread to mention Kindle & Spain..... you might get a response

Good luck.

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Aug 2013 13:49

Thanks. I´ll try that.
By the way, very pleased to hear your good news.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2013 16:52

Tenerife Sun has a Kindle but I think she bought it when on a visit home. However she could advise you re downloading etc.

Not sure if Bridget or Uzzi have Kindles.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 Aug 2013 17:44

Hi Wisechild, yes I do have a Kindle 3G not a Fire. I bought it from amazon.com so it was delivered all the way from America. I buy my books from them, charged in dollars via my english bank account, and they are usually cheaper than if i had bought them in pounds. I also get some free from them and from other sites as well, Kobo being one. What I can't do is buy from Amazon.co.uk which is a bit of a pain. The reason for this is although I do have an English bank account and debit card I do not have an English billing address. I emailed Amazon and pointed out to them that if I could use the .co.uk address they would get a more business from me as I have children and grandchilden in England who all have Christmas and birthday presents and Amazon would be useful for this. I was told that they are hoping to change this soon and I will be able to use the .co.uk site. When I don't know. Maybe I should try it again and see if it works.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2013 21:09

Sorry got that wrong, senior moment, I forgot that you ordered it from America.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 Aug 2013 21:46

No problem Ann, hope you two are well x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2013 22:01

Yes fine thanks, just got rid of the grey hairs that seemed to leap out at me after my birthday :-)

Will be in touch soon, probably over the weekend re dates and times.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 Aug 2013 23:44

Ok Ann talk soon (Sorry Wisechild)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Aug 2013 00:22

Tenerife ~ could you use a relative's address in UK?

We lived in Europe for some years, and used a cousin's address in Essex for times when we were asked for a UK address (with permission from my cousin ofcourse!).

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Aug 2013 07:22

Thanks all for your input.
It seems very complicated having to buy a Kindle through the US site & pay in dollars, which was one of the things that put me off.
I´m going to have a closer look at the Spanish one which seems to have everything the Kindle Fire has.
I don´t have an English bank account any more, although I do have a sterling account with a Spanish bank. All my transactions are made in Euros. As I live in Spain & have no intention of returning to the UK it seems to make sense to get the Spanish one & I am told I can download books more or less from anywhere now.
Have just bought 5 books from a local charity shop for €1 each, but they are getting more & more difficult to find. At least they will give me a few weeks of "thinking time"
Marion

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 17 Aug 2013 10:57

Lady Scozz, I used to use my daughters address for banking the only problem is that all my mail related to the bank went there too and st times this was a problem. We also had Sky that was registered in Wales but I have cancelled that now. This year I changed my UK driving licence to a Spanish one so at last I am fully legal.

Wisechild what is the name of the Spanish e reader

Wendy

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 17 Aug 2013 12:16

I have a kindle but like wise mine was send to a UK address and then brought out here.
So far I am going through the 1000´s of books that I have had passed on from friends. I also down load onto my Calibre Library from places like Kickass Torrent. (or at least I let OH do it for me :-D )
(calibre library is free to download )

Uzzi xx

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Aug 2013 12:38

Wendy.
Don´t ask. I can´t remember, but I will be going back for another look next week, so I´ll let you know.
Uzzie, a friend has offered to buy one for me & bring it out in September , but isn´t there a problem with registering from a Spanish address??
Why do they have to make life so complicated? Don´t they want the sales??
Marion

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 17 Aug 2013 14:15

Marion I don´t think there is a problem but will have to check with OH as he registered mine and his. He is at work at the moment but will ask when he gets home ..it will be tomorrow before I get an answer as he won´t be home until after midnight.
I think the only reason for delivery to the UK when he bought mine for me was the shipping costs and language package because he paid for it with a Spanish bank account.

I will ask about registration ...

Uzzi xx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 Aug 2013 08:53

OH said my Kindle is registered to a UK address as he wanted books on it before I got it. His isn´t registered and he is not sure if you register it to a Spanish address if when buying books it would send you to the es site.
Could you not register it to your friends address to be on the safe side ?

Uzzi xx

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 18 Aug 2013 10:48

Mine is registered to a Spanish address ans it sends me automatically to .com in America. I thought this was because this was where I bought it from. Also when I bought it the .es site hadn't started up then.
Wendy.

wisechild

wisechild Report 18 Aug 2013 12:53

Had a very quick look at the ES site, but the range of books available in English seemed very limited. Mostly childrens & textbooks, so I reasoned that if that´s the case, I might as well go for the cheaper Spanish version
I´m told that you can download books from several sites to most e readers these days.
As you will probably gather, I really don´t want to find myself stuck with something that doesn´t do what I want.
Can´t understand why a Kindle is so complicated. Why do English buyers have to buy from an American site???