General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cataract operationj

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 22 Aug 2013 16:17

Had one yesterday afternoon. Vision is slightly worse than it was before.
Any messages of hope on that one - the nurse said not to worry, but she didn't sound convincing..

Happy days

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Aug 2013 16:37

Its early days yet Harry. i have had both eyes done and after the first one I was impatient to see the improvement . Went back to the eyes clinic a month later to be told it had improved but would take time to accept it . The brain has to adjust too to the signals it receives from the eyes .

Found that only too true as time went on

Unfortunately the first eye now isnt as good as the other one after the ops but all in all both are better than having cataracts.

Some eye deterioration is due to age related problems that cant be reversed , we have to live with them :-)

Harry

Harry Report 22 Aug 2013 16:46

Thank you Shirley for that. Feel better after reading it.

Best wishes Happy days

kandj

kandj Report 22 Aug 2013 17:24

I also have two cataracts and need to sort out my annual eye test with local Optician. Last year's test he told me there was no change so I will have to wait and see what this year shows.

I have heard only good reports from family and neighbours Harry but like Shirley some have had to wait awhile to have better overall vision. Be patient and good luck

Harry

Harry Report 22 Aug 2013 19:57

Thank you Kandj. Your interest is much appreciated.

Best wishes Happy days

Robert

Robert Report 22 Aug 2013 20:05

Had my checkup this afternoon following my cataract operation six weeks ago. Was given the all clear. The eyesight has not improved as this was my "lazy" eye but I was glad to get rid of the cloudyness.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Aug 2013 20:46

Fred can see better now that he has had his done but he wants to have the other one done now, only so he can hold hands with that little black nurse who knows a lot of the places he knew in South Africa I think!

He has been back to the optician who has referred him to a special clinic for assessment because he is not particularly suffering from cataract but from 93 although there is a cataract in the other eye.

He was expecting immediate perfection in his vision but there was all that palaver to go through with the drops. He has not had to wear his Colonel Gadaffi glasses since the operation.

Harry

Harry Report 22 Aug 2013 21:25

I thank you for those latest posts. Very interesting reading.

Happy days

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Aug 2013 22:40

I have had both eyes done and my sight is much improved.

After the first one, though, I had problems because I still needed glasses for the other eye and couldn't have new glasses for the first eye for at least six weeks - if that makes sense!!

It took a while for my eye to settle down and the vision to become "un-blurry", also as Shirley said, the brain has a considerable adjustment to make. This applies particularly if both eyes were very bad and suddenly one is much improved and the other is still bad.

Be patient, and Good Luck.

Harry

Harry Report 22 Aug 2013 22:54

Thank you, Andy's mum/ Very re-assuring.

God bless Happy days

Persephone

Persephone Report 23 Aug 2013 00:10

Have to admit, I hated putting drops in my eyes and was quite anxious about having my cataracts done. It was rather surreal.. the whole thing seemed to be going on above me. .

I was short sighted and one eye just kept getting worse so this was a boon to me and like Andy's mum I was concerned that my eye where the cataract had been removed would be able to see for miles and the other one would need glasses but the good eye took over all the seeing that needed to be done. However I did need to footle around with cheap chemist glasses for computer work as I was the company accountant then.

4 weeks later other eye done .. absolutely marvelous. I still wear glasses had done so since aged 11 so I looked rather weird without them but I needed the long sighted reading glasses so opted for bi -focals with clear tops. Plus new computer glasses.

My eyes have not changed since the operation... the only downfall was before if I wanted to read fine print as in the old London's A-Z, I could take my glasses off and read it.. even the tiniest of print on labels that others had difficulty with. Now I am in the same boat as they cannot replicate that ability with the reading glasses.

I guess I was lucky, or my brain seemed to know what was required of it.. as all worked straight away.

OH still has to have correcting lenses after cataract ops on both eyes, for some reason not as successful as mine. He had not always been short sighted it came on later in life whereas mine was from childhood... maybe my brain reverted back to my second childhood.. just wish my memory for lost articles would do the same.

And putting drops in is a breeze now... :-)

Susan

Susan Report 23 Aug 2013 04:02

Hi Harry

I had both of my eyes done last year after wearing glasses since I was 3 years old .
I also have Glaucoma treated with drops

I no longer need glasses all the time only for reading ...it is wonderfull but I must say I do not like myself without glasses now and I still go to push them up when I have nothing on my face ...very funny feeling :-D

Be patient it will all settle down :-D

sue

Persephone

Persephone Report 23 Aug 2013 05:59

I wander around the house without mine Sue and then go to take them off before I get in the shower only to find I am not wearing them.

A friend of mine's wife made her husband a carpenters apron with three pockets one for his spectacles, one for his hearing aid and one for his teeth.

Persie

Harry

Harry Report 23 Aug 2013 10:30

Little or no improvement today - still just below where i was before. Possibly they need a little time to adjust, but i have a feeling that i will be needing correcting lenses in a few weeks time.

Those latest replies from Persephone and Susan are very welcome and interesting. Thanks.

Happy days

Susan

Susan Report 23 Aug 2013 10:33

Persie

I do the same in the shower and when I go to bed at night I go to take my Glasses off and they are not there :-D

Makes you wonder just how long it is going to take us to get used to no Glasses :-D

Have a lovely weekend Persie

Sue :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 Aug 2013 12:21

Harry, the amount of improvement depends on what, apart from the cataracts, was wrong with your eyes before. If you were short/long sighted, you may end up with perfect vision without glasses.

I have astigmatism, and although the op. improved it, I have it permanently, so will always need glasses.

Persie, you were lucky only having to wait four weeks between eyes. Here they wait until the first is all OK before arranging the second. My local hospital only does cataracts one day a week, so I had to wait nearly six months.

Harry

Harry Report 23 Aug 2013 14:11

Andy's mum. and everyone else, keep posting messages of hope.

Happy days

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Aug 2013 04:49

Harry, I have had several friends and relatives get their cataracts done and are happy with the result, have a little patience and I am sure all will be well. My o.h.'s sister had hers done just before Christmas (she is in her mid fifties) and she said the second one didn't turn out quite as well as the first but she is ok now with the better vision.

Persie, I started wearing specs at 11 and when I got contact lenses when in my thirties, people said I didn't look like me without specs. After a few problems with my lenses when I had my son I stopped using them and went back to full time specs. I have varifocals but still do the thing with small print, put my specs on my head while I read tiny stuff as it's easier than focussing that small stronger area of my specs lol Now and then I go to take my specs of twice if you get me lol

If I take my glasses off and lay them down, I have to feel for them if I have forgotten where I put them (while washing my face or putting on makeup etc)

Lizxx

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 24 Aug 2013 13:30

Harry did the hosp. say how long it would be before you would find a difference ? My OH is going in in Nov for one eye to be done so very interested in thread.

Noreen

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 24 Aug 2013 13:33

Hi Harry

Glad you have had the confidence to go ahead with your op.

You will need your eyes tested 5 weeks after your op.

That will allow time for any swelling to go down.

The surgeons aim to bring your distance vision to plano but do not always succeed as Andy'smum says.

You should be noticing colours more now.

It is still early days yet so keep up with the drops.

I hope it goes well for you.