General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not long come in

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Aug 2013 20:54

I think it is quite late but the ants are flying this evening and we have been sitting in the garden watching three dragon flies catching them.

There were hardly any birds about which I thought strange. The swallows and martins usually like the ants and I thought that was what those swifts I saw the other week were after. The buzzards didn't even come over for them.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 22 Aug 2013 22:00

here in angelsey our local villiage was swarming with flying ants this afternoon,at 4pm i had to run into the garden and take my granddaughter inside,because a big black cloud of flying ants was flying towards the house. :-0 :-0

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 22 Aug 2013 22:14

The ants where flying in Norfolk as well , masses of them :-0 I'm sure they usually take to the air in July :-S

Island

Island Report 22 Aug 2013 23:15

Flying ants in August? The world's gone mad :-0

We had a few here :-S

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Aug 2013 23:28

Had clouds of them in Gateshead for about 2 hours after lunchtime. The cars in our car park were covered in them. The randy little blighters were (ahem) fornicating everywhere, even while they were flying.

Do they shed their wings? Because about an hour later there were lots of very large wingless ants on the ground.

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Aug 2013 23:52

It was magic watching the dragonflies. It looked like a dogfight between bi-planes.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Aug 2013 08:32

There was the usual hatching last month around the 27/29th, but this looks like its to be far more than then, Must be the weather.