General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Food police lose fight to outlaw rare beefburgers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Aug 2013 06:39

When I dine out I expect to be able to order what I want to eat - I do not want my local authority or any other authority telling me what I can and cannot eat, three cheers from me for District judge Elizabeth Roscoe.

Food police lose fight to outlaw rare beefburgers after judge rejects claim they are a health risk.

Beefburgers cooked rare can remain on restaurant menus after a judge rejected claims by food watchdogs that they are a health risk.

The company appealed against the decision and District Judge Elizabeth Roscoe backed its policy.

She said: ‘There is a balance to be struck between ensuring the safety of the public and allowing them the freedom of choice that they would wish and have a right to expect.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2401248/Food-police-lose-fight-outlaw-rare-beefburgers-judge-rejects-claim-health-risk.html

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Aug 2013 06:49

I agree! But I wouldn't eat an undercooked hamburger.

I really dislike being told how I want my steak cooked!! I'm paying for it, I'm eating it, so cook it the way I asked for!!

Our local council has a strange policy, no chain food outlets. We don't have KFC, MacDonalds, Pizza Hut etc. But! We have burger shops, pizza shops etc

I don't particularly like KFC, MacDonalds etc etc........ but it's annoying!

btw...... I don't like shop pizzas or hamburgers, I prefer home made :-D

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 24 Aug 2013 08:12

One has never frequented a KFC, a MacDonalds, or a Pizza Hut - the local chippy YES :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Aug 2013 08:18

We don't go to our local chippy!

I really don't like batter........ I asked for plain grilled fish. They refused to do it because "it will mess up the grill plate" !! It wouldn't make any more of a mess than a burger!

We go to the fishermen's co-op and buy fresh fish & cook it ourselves :-D

Annx

Annx Report 24 Aug 2013 16:26

I don't eat burgers and certainly wouldn't eat any undercooked meat......I like any parasites in meat or their eggs to be nicely cooked thank you, same goes for getting rid of most bacteria or viruses in it. It does annoy me that chef's use the same knives at carveries for rare beef and then turkey.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Aug 2013 16:45

I like my steak rare and my lamb pink. I like pork well done and I would never eat undercooked burgers or offal.

I read that the bugs are killed on meat served rare in a piece because the bugs are on the outside which is always well cooked. But with burgers and mince, the bugs are spread throughout the meat which means the whole lot should be well cooked to kill them. This was from a top chef.

I also rarely eat turkey not cooked at home or by family. restaurant turkey I am never sure if it has been properly cooked (same goes for chicken).

Potty

Potty Report 24 Aug 2013 17:05

Don't see a major problem with undercooked burgers if they are freshly made. Can't say I fancy Steak Tartare though!

Under cooked frozen burgers can be fatal - one of our sons' friends died from eating one at a pub BBQ

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Aug 2013 17:10

The other thing that causes problems is eggs. I like mine soft and on more than one occasion I have been asked to sign a disclaimer so that the restaurant is supposedly in the clear if I should get Salmonella poisoning.

Edwina Currie didn't know what she was starting!! :-) :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Aug 2013 17:16

The point OFIG made is that WE should decide what we eat, not the food police.

I am fed up with "fancy chefs" saying I should eat certain things THEIR way, and not the way I want it.

:-(

If I'm going to eat it, and I'm paying for it, I want it done MY way.

Annx

Annx Report 24 Aug 2013 18:59

That's very true about Turkey and chicken as well AnninG. I give it a miss when I'm eating out if it looks too juicy and doesn't fall apart when carved. Lots of bugs in poultry.

Potty, fresh meat is easily contaminated in the abbattoir from faecal matter from the animals. As Ann says, bugs are mostly on the outside of meat and get killed in cooking, but anything that is minced will have bugs mixed in with the meat in the middle. Also, bugs come from staff not washing their hands after the toilet.

Watching the 'Monsters Inside Me' series really put me off any raw meat or fish for ever!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Aug 2013 01:50

The trend for fish seems to be "seared", which to me is half-cooked!

I like fish, but rarely order it in restaurants, I like my fish cooked.

If I want raw fish I'll go to a sushi bar :-( lol ...... but I don't want it!

:-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 25 Aug 2013 22:28

Well Thanks All ...That's put me off almost everything :-0