General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Diana, Princess of Wales, 1997

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 31 Aug 2013 00:13

Dear All

Hello

In the early hours of 31 August 1997 in France,
Diana Frances, Princess of Wales was killed in a car accident.

Diana left two children, William aged 15 and 12 year old Harry.

In Great Britain, people awoke to the news to hear the announcement
of her death on the radio and TV.

Normal viewing was suspended on all terrestrial TV channels.

Later that evening, her former husband Prince Charles
and two sisters brought Diana's body home.

The beautiful setting sun was completely at odds with the totally unexpected
and shattering news of the day as the airplace touched down at RAF Northolt.

As the years pass, memories often fade.

But many still think of the terrible shock they felt at the loss of our Princess
at such an early age and remember exactly where they were that day.

Rest in peace, Our Princess. You will never be forgotten. <3

Take gentle care all
Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 31 Aug 2013 00:20

it only seems like yesterday, how quickly time passes, and how she would have loved Prince George her grandson.

Diana, you will never be forgotten, the people's Princess.....

RIP..

Renes

Renes Report 31 Aug 2013 00:21

I was in an hotel in Andorra the night she died ...in the early hours of the morning we heard a banging on the door and a voice calling

English, English ..ven ven come, come ...

we went with him to the bar ... and saw the news on Sky T V ......

R I P Diana

jax

jax Report 31 Aug 2013 02:07

I was still up when I heard the news on the TV...such a shock, :-(

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Aug 2013 07:05

I will never forget my son calling me to tell me the sad news, I watched the tv to see her brought home to England, such a terrible time for so many. My heart broke for her two boys, one the same age as my son, and one younger.

How proud she would be of those lads and how happy she would be to be called Grandma to little George.

I am sure she is looking down on her family and smiling.

Lizx

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 31 Aug 2013 07:46

R I P Diana - you will never be forgotten, your death changed the monarchy forever <3

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 31 Aug 2013 08:12

One of the defining moments of lives of many. I remember I was up early (before 6am), switched the TV on for news and could not believe what I was seeing.

Rushed upstairs, woke OH (gently ;-)) and she shot out of bed. Within a couple of minutes, children were up and about. Must have only been about 15 and 12 at time but they were just as shocked as we were.

We lived then in Northants, only about 7 miles from Althorp. Many memories stirred this morning. Thank you, Elizabeth :-)

YG

YG Report 31 Aug 2013 08:23

R.I.P. Diana

Remembered always <3

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 31 Aug 2013 08:50

Thank you Elizabeth. One of those events where many of us will remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard the dreadful news.

She would have been so proud of her two sons. <3

kandj

kandj Report 31 Aug 2013 09:11

An overwhelming deep sadness throughout the world for such a tragic death and loss to two young boys. We all probably can recall our whereabouts when we heard this shocking news.

Our daughter and son in law were visiting us with our tiny grandson. We had the travel cot in our bedroom to give the new parents a decent nights sleep and we were awoken when she came and gently woke me to share such unbelievable news.

How very proud Diana would have been of "her boys" and she would have been over the moon to cuddle baby George......... may our princess R.I.P.
Gone too soon and never to be forgotten, ever.

Linda

Linda Report 31 Aug 2013 13:02

My mum rang with the news, could not get my head around it although the tv was telling me every few seconds later that day my sil stood in his back garden and watched the plane fly over bringing Diana home, at the time they lived by Northolt.

I don't think the royal family will be allowed to forget Diana while William And Harry are grown up and talk about her all the time, and Kate seems to be like her in a lot of ways.

RIP Dear Diana

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 31 Aug 2013 13:28

i was in the corner shop when i heard the sad news

you could of knocked me down with a feather :-0

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 31 Aug 2013 23:33

Dear All

Hello

Hope you are okay.

Thank you very much for your replies.

May our Princess be able to rest in peace. <3