General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Life in the 1950's

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 20:47

Apart from the smog that is :-D

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 20:47

I think the 1950's was a very unique time, it was after the war, but before the so called "swinging 60's"

For me it was a time where those who had lived through the war, thought themselves lucky to have survived it, although I lived in a Street that had been bombed I don't recall anyone really talking about the war, I think people wanted to forget that awful time and didn't want their children to worry about it. I knew there had been a war, and I knew that an Uncle had been to a POW camp, I also played on the bombed ruined sites, and in the houses that were half derelict, but still had pots and pans, and other stuff in them to play "house"
Neighbours were all called Auntie and Uncle, and children ran errands for anyone in the Street. My large family all lived within a Street of each other, and my cousins were all good friends, who would always look out for you.

Life in the 50's must of been hard, but for me it was a time like no other decade, it was absolutely wonderful :-D

Anyone else agree?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Aug 2013 20:50

I was born in 1952 and loved the life then. We were never very well off but we made our own entertainment. Remember playing out until dark in the Summer Holidays just going in for meals and straight back out.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 20:57

Playing out, with all the kids in the Street, nobody was left out, and all sat on someone's front door step, if you were lucky someone's Mum gave you a packet of biscuits to share, that was eating out, in real style that was :-D

By the way LG, I have a great photo of The Arsenal crowd in the 50's, packed like sardines they were, Father in Law said you couldn't get out of the crowd to have a wee, so you did it where you stood, well the men did anyway :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Aug 2013 21:01

Can you see me in the picture I would have been in the stands every match from 1956. Not owing up to the wee ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D.

Our luxury snack was potatoes thrown straight into the wood burning bonfire taken out as black as yer hat and sprinkled with loads of salt. Yummy :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Aug 2013 21:07

We had a bombing range which was still in use and didn't even flinch when a plane broke the sound barrier over the school.

We all used to play down there too and I don't remember anybody ever telling us not to. I am not sure if they thought that even we would not be silly enough to play on the bombing range or if they might not be sorry to see the back of some of us.

McB

McB Report 31 Aug 2013 21:16

If i could travel back in time I'd rather live in the 50's, there was discipline, politeness & manners. a thing of the past mostly

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 21:20

I'm sure you wouldn't of wee'd in the sacred Arsenal ground LG :-D

Sharron, I reckon someone wanted to get rid of you, that's why they didn't tell you not to play there :-D

Agree with you there McB

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Aug 2013 21:25

Oh no way. I am too much of a lady for that ;-) :-D :-D :-D. Remember the Saturday morning pictures at the local fleapits :-D. ?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2013 21:28

fifties were wonderful - I met my lovely Lawrence in 1956 and got married in 1959
Bill Haley came on the scene and thank goodness it was goodbye to the foxtrot, the waltz and the quickstep cos I hated ballroom dancing - with rock and roll you could do pretty much what you liked - when Rock around the Clock came out I wnt to a Christmas party and that was the only record played all night - that and "See you later Alligator"

Stiletto heels and full skirts on dresses with lots of petticoats underneath

Helena Rubenstein's Apple Blossom was the perfume of the day - we all reeked of it :-D

beehive hairdo's - which I never had as I was blessed with curly hair

lovely films - Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma and Carousel

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Aug 2013 21:33

The Light Programme which blared out all day so we could endure/enjoy Workers Playtime, Wilfred Pickles accompanied by Mabel at her table, Franklin Engleman who came Down Your Way, Sandie McPhereson and Reginald Dixon who entertained us with their organs. Housewives Choice.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2013 21:36

Sundays on the radio

Family Favourties with Cliff Michelmore and Jean Metcalf
Ken Dodd
The Clitheroe Kid
Round the Horn and the Navy Lark

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 21:36

Saturday morning flicks, wonderful :-D

Ann, how you describe the 50's makes it sound fun and laughter, exactly as I see it. I suppose after the gloom of the war, people began to start enjoying themselves again, without the threat of a bomb being dropped on them.

We had lots of family parties in the 50's, every Saturday night was party night, how on earth they gpt so many people in one room I'll never know, I once saw a ceiling mve with the weight of the people above :-D

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 Aug 2013 21:39

Ahem Shar,
Do you think you should rephrase that last bit in the light of Rolf harris etc.?
;-)

B

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2013 21:43

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would dp

Chorus:

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days
Oh, yes, those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me?

Those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...

Those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Aug 2013 21:44

I don't remember him from the 50's.

I do remember there being a criminal of some fame who was called Foxy Fowler. I don't know who he was or what he did but the name must have appealed to me.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Aug 2013 21:47

Great Christmas parties with all the family doing there little turns, Dad and my Uncle playing the Bones or Spoons, Nan dancing and singing Knees up mother Brown. I used to do the Lambeth Walk with my 2 older cousins and we all used to sing the old time musical songs around the old piano. The thought of old Nan made me smile she was such a wonderful old character :-D

GeordiePride

GeordiePride Report 31 Aug 2013 21:55

We had nowt but the 50's was a brilliant era for me. There were no computers, mobiles, calculators and initially no TV but we had the wireless which kept us entertained. Matinees at the cinema on a Saturday was a godsend. We played games without any fancy equipment and we enjoyed it. I could go on but I will leave it that.

GP

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 31 Aug 2013 21:57

We must of gone to the same parties LG :-D

Nice voice there Ann :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2013 21:58

and when you went to the cinema you had the main feature, a small film - maybe a cartoon, the Pathe News and trailers of what was coming

at our local cinema, now long gone, we also had an organist who played in the interval