General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I The Only One To .............

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 2 Sep 2013 09:11

...............................................................Give up on modern technology ? I can use the computer (sort of) ... a mobile (very basic) ... a Kindle (well OK'ish) ... A very modern TV which needs 3 remotes (I manage in desperation when staying at son's house) ...But as for Ipods / Iplayers / Notebooks / any other modern contraption , Sorry I refuse to even think about it , I've given up :-P

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Sep 2013 09:20

I would say you are more advanced than me, Nolls.:-( :-(

My first task on retirement is to get a mobile phone and learn how to text. And I am only 49 and a bit (big bit, mind) ;-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 2 Sep 2013 09:34

HaHa John I forgot to say I use a phone as it should be never texted in my life in fact never have my phone on so never get any calls or texts ...just peace and quiet :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Sep 2013 09:37

I have another hurdle to overcome soon, my friend gave me her old Smart phone? and now my son has figured out how to make it work in English instead of German (my friend is English but lives in Germany) he is going to show me what to do with it so I am able to access the internet etc with it.

Can see problems ahead, I can at least use my regular mobile to text, phone and take photos lol

Lizx

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 2 Sep 2013 09:40

Me thinks your showing off Liz ....taking photos with your mobile ...ok I know you can but.. :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Sep 2013 09:57

The world rolls on regardless of those who wish it didn't.

Sailing ships. steam engines, real shaving, sealing wax, quill pens, copy writing, the telegraph, typewriters, hot metal printing, litho printing, hand made letters, modems, the fax machine, am radio, stud collars, 78s, reel to reel tape, analog tv, standard English, carburettors, VHS, X.400, K7 tape, mini disks, overhead projectors, carbon paper, blue prints, Polaroid (*), 35mm photography, DOS, Netware, floppy disks, heavy CRT televisions and monitors, SCART, real light bulbs, bus and underground tickets, cheques have all either fallen out of common usage or their demise is nigh.

The only ones that I can think which have escaped are real beer thank goodness and Polaroid in its digital reincarnation as Instagram.

The upside is that some of these have become instead very enjoyable hobbies and small scale art industries where the cognoscenti have a great time away from the not very small screen. Heavy horse ploughing, steam traction engines, litho printing and 35mm and 120 photography for example.

All the same in order to function in today's world without help from your grandchildren or becoming a digital non-person it is essential to get some sort of grip on smart phones and a modern tv.

By far the easiest smart phones / computers to use are Apple which makes anybody expert. I am a techie so iOS is not my cuppa. My other half uses nothing but Apple and considers all others poor value tosh.

BTW a truly modern tv can easily be controlled from a smart phone and accept video and photos from the same smart phone or one controller properly set up. No need for several controllers.

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Sep 2013 09:58

I don't really know what some of those things are that you mention.

My mobile was £9.99 and only does phone and text but it has a torch and radio which I can't use.

Have always been the one to set up the television because I found I could but don't know why.

Never bothered to find out all the functions even on the combi oven.

Come to think of it, there are a couple of switches in the kitchen that I have forgotten what they do. Likewise, I have had the car four years and there are things in there, on the dash, that are still a mystery.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Sep 2013 10:16

Rollo. I understood what you were on about up to "heavy (or hot) metal printing". Then my eyes went all blurry :-( :-(

Think I would now like to go in reverse and buy a quill pen and some sealing wax. My dad used to seal his personal letters with a wax stick, though he had Quink and one of those fancy new Parker fountain pens to write (honest). He said biros were American and ruined your writing. :-)

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 2 Sep 2013 11:10

John my dad would do a parcel up with sealing wax and had a Parker pen and said the same thing about biros ..ruin your writing and I think it did.

Rollo I agree time marches on and changes do happen can remember the day we went decimal two "Old Dears" in the shop saying "Well I'm not going to learn all this new fangled stuff , pennies will do me fine" and me thinking "Oh for goodness sake Get with it" (I was young at the time and thought I knew it all haha) Alas I now find myself thinking of these folks and saying the exact same with words almost for instance I still do pounds and ounces and / yards and inches and no one will get me to change not now :-D As for all the other items you mention all I can say is your scaring me! And yes thank goodness for grandchildren.

Sharron I had forgotten about the TV and all the bits and bobs it has when I said I did my son's one I only meant I managed to get it on and change the channels with 3 remotes (why 3???) :-S when it needs tuning in we can go for a week without a picture (well we do have one in bedroom) and have to wait till w/end till family come!

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Sep 2013 12:03

I can still work back to £ s d. Am very mildly number blind and find it very difficult to work around tens but was absolutely fine around twenty shillings and twelve pence or lbs and ozs. Likewise fractions can be pictured as a part where as decimal places can't.

Old weights and measures were representative of something real e:g a man and his ox team could plough an acre in a day, a furlong was the length of the furrow, a chain the length of the plough chain and rod the length of his stick..Nose to hand,a yard.It all made sense!

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 2 Sep 2013 12:08

Sharron I'm back at school wish they had taught us the measurements that way might just have remembered them :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Sep 2013 12:09

If Christopher Columbus had used a Sat-Nav, which country might he inadvertently have discovered?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Sep 2013 12:54

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper corn.
How heavy is a peck ?

"Old weights and measures were representative of something real"

If you look closely at your hands you will see that you have 5 digits on each making, um, ten altogether. That is why the metric system is real.

Chains, acres, poles, yards, elles, inches, British Thermal Units, gallons, pecks, gills, grains, long tons ... you can't be serious.

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Sep 2013 12:57

Stop having 'a go' at the Poles!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Sep 2013 03:56

Who me? showing off Nolls? It took me long enough to learn how to work my digital camera. The most pics I take on the phone are the number plates of cars parked either side of me so if I get back and find a scrape I know who to blame lol

Lizx

Huia

Huia Report 3 Sep 2013 05:16

I belong to a camera club, and last night the judge was saying that this person used to much (whatever) on their photo and somebody else should have used more (something) and another should have used another layer in a part of their photo. He was referring to photoshopping their photos, to 'improve' them, but I feel some of the photos don't look real. I am a realist and like the natural look. What they are doing isn't photography as such, it is digital manipulation. Ah well, every man to his own taste as Paddy said when he kissed the cow, and one man's meat is another man's poison. :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 3 Sep 2013 07:58

It is not possible to define the weight of a peck.

It is a measure of volume.

How heavy is a pint?

A gallon of water weighs ten pounds but a gallon of oil weighs something else.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 3 Sep 2013 09:17

Went mad yesterday.....bought a smart phone....hope I can get used to it....funny I love my iPad,but mobile.!!!
..I lost my small simple one in Oz and have been using the big button one I bought for OH when he was in hospital.It has an SOS on and one day the police rang as I must have pressed the button.

People say they tried to call me but I don't answer.so I must get used to this one...it's only pay as you go...wouldn't dream of getting a contract!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Sep 2013 09:18

A litre of water weighs a kilo, 1 cc of water weight 0.001 kg and so on.
Neat that, the metric system.

Oil floats on water. (ez)

Harder.
Most things contract when they get colder, water freezes to ice expands and even floats on liquid water.
Wong answer: God did this for plumbers.

Linda

Linda Report 3 Sep 2013 10:05

I bought a smart phone in July asked grandson to find the ringtones for me, on the train at St Pancras all I could hear was mew mow mew mow getting louder and louder, he thought it so funny he had got his nan :-D :-D :-D