General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3 September 1939

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Sep 2013 09:24

I lived in a cottage about half way up the mountain road about four miles outside Cardiff city centre - at the bottom of the road was the ROF factory and the Germans targeted that factory most nights using the road as a guide - occasionally they missed and dropped bombs on local fields, but sadly one night they got a direct hit and killed all the night shift - we used to go out in the morning after a raid to se what damage had been done and look at the bomb craters - there used to be strips of silver foil all over the place which apparently was something to do with radar blocking. We used to collect shrapnel and brass shell cases which were polished and used as ornaments

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 5 Sep 2013 09:17

I remember the Manchester Blitz of Christmas 1940.
This was when everyone realised how frightening the war was becoming.
It started earlier in the year as they were trying to bomb the factories around Trafford Park..big engineering works and aircraft factories.
Christmas bombing was unexpected and was terrible,nearly all the big places like The cathedral and Free trade Hall were badly damaged.

My dad who was a carpenter and worked at Trafford park in an aircraft factory ,made me a dolls house and my gran and grandad were staying with us and they had stayed up painting the dolls furniture .

It was a frightening time and Manchester city centre was like a bomb site.I walked across these sites as short cuts from Victoria Station to Whitworth Street in the late 40's n early 50's as I went to school in the middle of town .
Was a long time before they rebuilt.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Sep 2013 03:55

This is later than you are asking for ............

I do remember a bomb that landed in Abbey Hills Road, Oldham ..................

on 24 December 1944,at 5.50am, a V-1 flying bomb fell on Abbey Hills Road The explosion killed 32 people and destroyed a large number of houses. The bomb was one of over thirty released that morning by a large formation of German Heinkel He 111 bombers just off the North East coast of England

This was within less than 5 blocks of where we lived.

There was a wedding party going on in one of the houses hit, and I believe that almost all were killed.

I can remember cowering on the stairs to our basement, with my grandparents (mother's parents) having walked across the street from their house to join us ...................... and I screamed my silly head off ALL the time! Grandmother tried and tried to comfort me!

I also remember that we were the only house for a distance around that still had glass in our windows when day came ............... the streets were littered with glass from the windows being blown out.

We were lucky ................ Dad had worked down in London in the early months of the war, and his landlady told him to be sure to unlatch all windows as soon as the sirens went off. That allowed the windows to move slightly within the frame and thus not get broken.

I still remember seeing my grandparents wire-haired fox terrier cautiously crossing the street form their house to ours .............. they had forgotten him. He had jumped out of their kitchen bay window into their back yard, out through the gate which had blown open, and across the street, without getting a single cut on his paws.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 4 Sep 2013 22:28

Was in IOM with parents - my second birthday was on the 8th.
Apparently we had difficulty in returning home!

So do not have memories of that day but do of the night we were bombed out in January 1941 - sky bright red - Mum running down to shelter with me in her arms - I had on my blue siren suit with my green d.gown on top and my dad's blue checked woolen d.gown on top of that!.

Every time a bomb fell the curtain blew up to the ceiling of the shelter.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Sep 2013 21:26

remember also, no television back then so the real horror of war wasn't relayed nightly into our homes as it would be now - I suppose in some ways that anaesthetised it for those of us who were not in areas whch were badly bombed. I never ever felt frightned but no doubt my mother was - think my Dad found it all bit exciting

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 4 Sep 2013 21:22

Thank you for your responses.

I wasn't born then; I was a "baby boomer".

It is interesting to read people's memories of what they saw or read or heard later.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Sep 2013 20:28

Dear Joy and All

Hello

Hope you are okay.

I do remember around this time in 1989, the BBC did a special five part news
presented by Sue Lawley, depicting the events as they unfolded 50 years earlier.

It was one of the first history programmes in this format
and received high viewing figures.

I always feel awed by the courage and determination of the people who lived through the war.

They carried on going to work, travelling and running their homes in the face of such adversity, terrible bombings, shortages and possible invasion.

Take gentle care all
Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Robert

Robert Report 4 Sep 2013 20:22

I remember seeing the first "dogfight" between RAF fighters and German planes who were trying to bomb Rosyth Dockyards in Fife. The battle did not last long as the German planes beet a hasty retreat!!

Linda

Linda Report 4 Sep 2013 15:09

I was born in 1950 so dad went off to Korea when I was about 4 mth old and came back when I was 2, my brother was born 9 mths later, mum and dad was married in 1948

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Sep 2013 14:14

remember though - the war in Japan was still ongoing

Linda

Linda Report 4 Sep 2013 13:56

I was't born then parents had not even met ;-) ;-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 Sep 2013 12:39

i wasnt even born ;-)

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 4 Sep 2013 12:30

I wasn't born then.

Emma :-)

Frederick

Frederick Report 4 Sep 2013 11:57

I was six at the time, so am 1933 vintage, was at Mossford Green School.
Barkingside,we were evacuated 2 days before war broke out, children from surrounding schools boarded a queue of Trolley Buses in Barkingside High St.
all the mums sobbing on the pavement, but for me it was the start of a great adventure, hundreds of us were put on a train at Ilford Station and ended up in
Ipswich, several of us were sent to a large country house before being billeted
out to local houses, nothing happened for a while due to the phoney war, so went
back home, just in time for the blitz, Anderson Shelter filled up with water after a
few days so ended with a Morrison Shelter indoors, alright for protecting you from
debris but not much good for a direct hit, lots of memories.

F.

Jeniwren

Jeniwren Report 4 Sep 2013 10:32

I was born in March 1937 so was about 2 1/2 years old when war was declared,
don't remember the declaration but I do remember very clearly when a bomb dropped at the back of our house, on Werneth Low, I had a toy lamb in my hand and dropped it, and was very upset because I couldn't find it, was not a bit concerned about what was happening outside, just the loss of my lamb.
I had a gas mask, in a brown cardboard box which had to go everywhere with me.
The sound of the sirens always frightened me, and even now the sound of any kind of warning siren makes me go cold.

:-) :-)

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 4 Sep 2013 08:20

I a the oldest...so far...though I was only 4.
I am an only child and we had just been on holiday...with grandma as well ,to St Anne's on Sea,which I remember as I fell in a puddle before being changed into a costume on the beach and was most embarassed about being seen in my liberty bodice!....things that stick in your mind!
Don't think the start of the war affected anyone very much for a while.Mother had stockpiled things n the pantry.Remember loads of packets of sugar on the shelves,and tins of things.
Things got worse much later on and ,like Ann C recall more things like gas masks into the 40's. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2013 07:07

I was being incubated, another 4/5 months to go before making my appearance :-D

michael2

michael2 Report 4 Sep 2013 00:11

I was just a twinkle in the old man,s eye then

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Sep 2013 23:09

Joy. I was thinking today what a momentous day 3rd September was. Yes, WW2. But I thought loads of other important things had happened. But can't find much.

Did find 3 birthdays today. Charlie Sheen b 1965, Al Jardine (Beach Boys) born 1942 and Pauline Collins b 1940 :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 3 Sep 2013 23:04

I was only three years old and of course I can remember from when I was about five or six years old - I had a gas mask which I had to carry to school every day, along with my other friends - I remember the German planes flying over our little cottage at night and quickly learned to tell the difference betwen the sound of a German plane and a British plane. I never went in an air raid shelter as we lived way out in the country - we had GI's camped in tents all along our country road - they were guarding petrol dumps - I have told my story on the childhood memories thread if anyone is interested - how me and my Mum found an unexploded incendiary bomb and carried it home - put it under the sideboard to wait for my Dad to get home from work!!! How I've lived so long with such foolhardy parents I have no idea!!!! Sweets going on ration was dreadful :-S