General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did the appearance of the packet encourage you?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Sep 2013 08:17

Anna Soubry Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Public Health has said
she took up the habit as a teenager because of "gorgeous" packaging.

I wonder if she is using this as a smokescreen as she does not want to admit why she really started smoking?

I myself started smoking when I enlisted in the army at the age of eighteen and my reason was that nearly all the guys in my platoon smoked and it was only after trying several brands that I settled on one that I liked, that choice had nothing to do with the opening of the cellophane or the design of the packet.

Note:-

!!! This is not a thread about the pro's and con's of smoking it is basically about whether the design of cigarette packets encouraged you to smoke !!!

My questions are:-

1) Do you believe Anna Soubry Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Public Health or is she just playing to the gallery of the anti-smoking lobbyists?

2) Was it the opening of the cellophane and the design of the packet that encouraged you to start smoking, if not then what was the reason?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10283722/Anna-Soubry-I-took-up-smoking-as-a-teen-because-of-gorgeous-packets.html

The Conservative minister told a Westminster Hall debate: “I wanted to make it absolutely clear, like so many smokers I took up smoking before the age of 18. It's one of these moments where you always most want to confess.

“It sounds very weak, I accept. But the power of the packet as a 17-year-old in Worksop bizarrely working in a toy shop, which in those days sold cigarettes."

She added: "I have never forgotten the first time I bought a packet of cigarettes and I deliberately chose a packet of St Moritz because they were green and they were gorgeous and they were a symbol of, may I say, glamour.

"And I distinctly remember, and I admit, it was the power of that package, it was the opening of the cellophane, the gold and the silver, that is so powerfully important in many people who as youngsters take up smoking."

:-S :-S :-S

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 4 Sep 2013 08:39

I started smoking when I was 14, because "everybody else did". Nothing whatsoever to do with the packaging of the cigarettes.

I think the fact that cigarettes were then sold in packets of 5 was an encouragement.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Sep 2013 08:52

I worked for J R Freeman, Cigar Manufacturers - Manikin, Hamlet etc. part of the Gallaher group - they were a very generous well paying company to work for and every week we were given a packet of Benson and Hedges with our pay - that's where it started for me

Annina

Annina Report 4 Sep 2013 13:09

I started at around 13 yrs and it was Woodbines because mum smoked them and I pinched hers.

I have changed brands many times over the years,and I can honestly say that it was never the appearance of the packet that influenced my choice.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Sep 2013 14:12

I have also changed brands several times, Senior Service, Capstan Full Strength, RN (Blue Liners), John Players Medium Navy Cut, Piccadilly, Dunhill, Benson & Hedges, Craven A, and what I smoke now Sterling Superkings Smooth.

The only things that I was interested in when I changed brand was (1) price & (2) taste, and it was usually at the time of The Budget.that I would decided to change brands :-)

The cigarette I probably smoked the most of was the RN (Blue Liners) as I lived near a large naval base and there were always more than a few sailors looking for extra beer money ;-)

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Sep 2013 14:46

Are we talking about the Moscow World Championships?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 4 Sep 2013 15:05

I didn't care what packages they came in as long as I had my nicotine kick :-D :-D :-D. I smoked from the age of 12 until 12 years ago only( 31 years) stopping while I was pregnant not through the health worry but because they made me throw up at that time. In fact that is how I knew I was pregnant with my last one :-D :-D. Glad I don't indulge now as I used to smoke between 40 and 50 a day and I would be skint now at todays prices .

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Sep 2013 15:18

eRRolSheep - Moscow World Championships - you will have me as :-S :-S :-S as you - and believe me it does not take much to confuse me :-D :-D :-D

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 4 Sep 2013 16:32

I thought you were admiring packets?

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 4 Sep 2013 17:20

:-D :-D :-D

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 4 Sep 2013 17:46

A typical politician's load of cobblers!

I can imagine the scenario where someone found one package design more attractive in some way than another but I do not believe that cigarette package design alone would be why someone first begin smoking.

The muppets in Westminster take us all for idiots which I think that we probably are for (A) Electing them into office and (B) for tolerating their patronising behaviour.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Sep 2013 19:19

I smoked my first cigarette aged 11, when I was staying with my dad's mum and cousins (none of whom I'd ever met before).
The younger of my cousins stole one of gran's Woodbines. Didn't much like it. However, gran found out, made us each sit on a cow, (gran kept cows, pigs & chickens) and smoke 2 more each!!!

Never smoked cigarettes again until I was 20. Went up to the Shetlands, where ex & I lived in a tent, next to a broch. Someone managed to burn a hole in the mosquito net in the door. Mozzies came swarming in - and I lit up to smoke them out :-|

Didn't smoke much - maybe 3 a day. Didn't smoke when the children were babies, started up again when ex left. I smoke much more now - mainly because I can.

I only smoke rollies now - and it's the taste I go for - have to have liquorice papers.
In the past, I've smoked cigarello's, and 'More' cigarettes. Mainly for effect - one packet would last for months!!

To be honest, an MP who takes up smoking 'because of the appearance of the packet' is a bit scary. Obviously has no willpower or self control. What else that looks nice would influence her?

tempest

tempest Report 4 Sep 2013 19:30

pmsl

ps like the hat errol