General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Very painful....

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 9 Sep 2013 19:37

doc just said fruit- I have had a couple of satsumas & something else like a banana or a kiwi - a useful chunk of your five-a-day!

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 9 Sep 2013 19:45

Thank you Elizabeth with :-)

Emma

Sharron

Sharron Report 9 Sep 2013 22:33

This is not a remedy but, keep some salt by you and, when you get cramp, you tip some in your palm and lick it off.

The cramp will be gone before the salt.

I think it is because the taste of the salt distracts you enough for you to let go of the muscle.

It really does work.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Sep 2013 22:41

Hi peeps. I have suffered with cramp in both my calves for years. When i am in bed, if i stretch and point my toes, then Ive had it. The muscle locks solid and i cry with pain.

After it eventually unlocks itself, the calf is tender for 2 days and quite often i will have to walk on tip toes as i cant put my whole foot flat down.

My Grandma always reccomended bitter lemon as this had quinnine and of course banana but for me they dont help.

I just try to sleep with both legs bent or as someone else suggested, my right leg hanging out of bed loosely.

My doctor said once it was lack of salt!

I guess it's just one of those things we can't really cure but wish we could!!

Florence
In the hebrides.

One night when I was 7 months pregnant, i got cramp so bad, the moans i made woke up my hubby who thought i was in labour lol. When i said it was cramp, he said "oh is that all" :-)

michael2

michael2 Report 9 Sep 2013 22:49

the doctor gave me quinine tabs the do work up to a point only get it now and again.

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 10 Sep 2013 10:34

Thanks everyone for contributing to my thread.

I hope that some advice given by you can help others.

Emma :-)

kandj

kandj Report 11 Sep 2013 00:19

Just heard today that common salt can put a stop to night cramp and Sharron has beaten me to it. Prepared to give it a try and anything else that would put an end to the excruciating pain that muscle cramp causes. It isn't just through the early hours but lasts with aching thigh/leg muscles for a couple of day afterwards.

I hope your painful condition improves with the different remedies on here Emma.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Sep 2013 01:09

I don't think it stops it happening but it does undo it when you have it.

badger

badger Report 11 Sep 2013 08:59

I use Quinine tablets too ,but i only take one if i get bad cramp ,i don't think you are supposed to take a tablet daily,but either way they are very effective ,i have no side effects ,even with heart problems and diabetes .Fred. :-)

michael2

michael2 Report 11 Sep 2013 11:23

fred you should take quinine daily that way the are in your system, I don't have probs with them.

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 11 Sep 2013 11:41

Just back from shopping and have stocked up on several
items to try them out, not all at once mind. :-D

Emma

wisechild

wisechild Report 11 Sep 2013 13:15

Think I stumbled across a remedy last night.
We 4 "girls" in Menorca, plus a Menorquine friend went out for a curry.......a new innovation where we live. ;-)
We spent 3 hours laughing hysterically & exchanging insults, mostly about our age-related shortcomings & the only alcohol consumed was the youngest who had half a pint of shandy. Honestly!!
Not one of us had cramp last night.
Don´t know if it was the curry or the hysteria that did it, but will be trying it again. ;-) ;-)

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 11 Sep 2013 13:19

Keep the curry, hysteria I can do. :-D ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Sep 2013 04:35

I get a daily email from an Aussie Seniors' site. Today they have an article about cramps ~

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/coping-with-cramps

<3