General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Article in the 'Family Tree' magazine...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Sep 2013 10:02

I asked my son last night what were his chances of descending directly from King Edward III.

Nil, was answer. Well, it is just over 99% probable, I told him.

So he has gone to a heavy metal gig today wearing his Sylosis shirt and a coronet.

I must admit this new information about our mutual royal descent has made me look at Sir Matthew Pinsent as an equal rather than one of my betters. We could probably all prove our link if we had WDYTYA and that pompous man with the little dog to aid our research. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 16 Sep 2013 11:59

Thanks for that added info John. :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2013 11:27

Some of this article is extremely sad reading. Children were given up as foundlings and usually did not survive. Those that stayed with parents could be so malnourished that they were infertile.

This was 18th century. But as late as 1880 (if you read any of novels by Norfolk writer Mary Mann) this deprivation was still rife in countryside. She was the wife of local Squire living in big house with 1,000 acres. And she wrote for one main reason - she could not feed her children properly!!!

No wonder working in coal mines and Satanic mills was the preferred option for so many rural dwellers.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2013 08:55

Liz :-D You are a good spud, in any case. There is a very slim chance (less than 1%) that you are NOT descended from Edward III!!! Always realised that you and I probably had royal connections :-D

Although I was not born in 1947 :-( :-( Perhaps my birth year are 99% certain to descend from Llywelyn Olaf ;-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Sep 2013 08:51

I was (born in 1947 ) lol, no idea if I am descended from King Edward - glad you added the other bit or I might be part potato!

I have one side of my back to 1500

Lizx

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2013 08:44

Had a look at this article over the weekend. Says that the findings are not new, but research more extensive so probability of accuracy much higher.

So many things to discuss but will just pick out three:

1. You are most unlikely to descend in any branch from a shepherd herding sheep in the Civil War (1650-ish)
2. Poor people started having larger families during Industrial Revolution (after 1800). The IR heavily removed two checks on the fertility of the poorer:
a. illness
b. threat of starvation (which led to infanticide, abortion and abstinence)
3. If you are born in 1947, you have a 99% probability of being descended from King Edward III.

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Sep 2013 09:41

Ok thanks for that John.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Sep 2013 08:40

That does look a very in interesting article, GH. Have only had a chance to briefly skim it, but note that Dr Dutton says that large families were the prerogative of wealthy classes till industrial revolution, then it changed. Will look at it properly this weekend.

There is another intersting article by Barbara Starmans. The LDS had a climate controlled vault for storage within a mountainside in Utah many many years ago. Had little idea of the history behind this massive resource.

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Sep 2013 12:41

There is a very interesting article in the latest family tree magazine: 'So were your ancestors wealthy?' Most of us assume we're more likely to descend from a poorer family. Right? Not so! Read on... on sale now... The article is on pages 58 to 60 well worth a read! :-D