General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Autobiography books of famous people...

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Sep 2013 19:08

Do you enjoy reading autobiography books of famous people ? If so, which ones have you read, and perhaps still reading ? I'm reading, Julie Walters: "That's Another Story" at the moment... What autobiography would you like to read that this famous person has not put pen to paper yet ?

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 10 Sep 2013 19:11

Amongst others I have read David Niven's The moon's a balloon and Bring on the empty horses....Hilarious both of them. I would like to read Julie Walters' "That's Another Story"....good is it?

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Sep 2013 19:14

It's a shame that famous people from the past... never wrote their autobiography! All that info we would have known! Just take Leonardo Da Vinci, all that added information we would have, shame. Nevermind we still have loads of other info about these very famous people in the past... :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Sep 2013 19:15

Susan10146857, I've just started it actually, but it's already very interesting, with loads of photos of her and her family, brill! :-D

jax

jax Report 10 Sep 2013 20:03

When I did read books, autobiography's are what I tended to read most.

I know I have read a Julie Walters one...but whether it was that one I couldn't tell you....would have been about 2008/09

I enjoyed Dear Fatty- Dawn French...Alan Carr one....Sharon Osborne and even Katie Price....there are probably others but I forget them as soon as I have read them.

I was in the middle of two when I moved here 4 years ago...Cliff Richard and someone else....No idea where they are now

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 10 Sep 2013 20:28

i am still laughing years later at Dave Courtneys
and Chubby Browns wasnt what i exspected
it was good

David Cassidys well that was a eye opener
i thought he was squeeky clean :-0 :-0

GHeather

GHeather Report 10 Sep 2013 21:00

Joe Brand, I think that's her name ? Her autoB is very funny: Look back in hunger... I think that's the title of her book. Some parts of the book are really LOL!!! :-D

Sally

Sally Report 10 Sep 2013 21:40

I read / listen to a lot of books john simpson kate....I can not remember her name news readers very good
dare I say rolf harris

the one about the start of the sally army

quite a few of unknowns

the funny man that lived on the isle of man I cant think of his name

senior moment
some more that will come to me in the middle of the night :-S

sally w <3

jax

jax Report 10 Sep 2013 21:47

Norman Wisdom...Sally?

Only know because I watched something about him last week :-D

Sally

Sally Report 10 Sep 2013 21:52

jax that's him thanks

sally w <3

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 10 Sep 2013 22:00

iv just bought, coleen nolan, paul ogrady and someone elses but i cant recall lol

iv just finished, alan carr, its not as funny as thought it would be, but it passed the time away i supose lol

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 10 Sep 2013 22:21

I also read biographies - all sorts - one which I still recall was Enoch Powell by Andrew Roth - Enoch was a classics scholar and was teaching in some uni either in Australia or N. Zealand.
When WW2 broke out, he immediately returned to UK, ignoring 'goodbyes' but leaving a note on his study door written in Latin!

I was given Paul O'Grady's 'still standing' at Christmas. Enjoyed it.

Persephone

Persephone Report 11 Sep 2013 00:36

Dirk Bogarde was an interesting character and wrote several autobiographies.

I read one by Debbie Reynolds which said more about the studio at the time than anything else oh and the fact that she doesn't cook.

I have Michael Crawford's autobiography... "Parcel Arrived Safely: Tied with String" but have not fully read it.

One of the most interesting Autobiographies that I read was Nicole Russell, The Duchess of Bedford... titled: Nicole Nobody. It was sitting in my secondhand bookshop and no one seemed interested in reading about her, so I picked it up and looked at the photos and then started reading it and thoroughly enjoyed it and certainly not one I would have looked for.

Regarding Leonardo da Vinci writing about himself... he would never have finished it... he had enough problems completing his paintings.

Persie

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 11 Sep 2013 01:21

Have read both of David Nivens. A Dirk Bogarde one (can't remember what it was called.) But do remember that his father was born near where I live now. Dear Me by Peter Ustinov. Throughly enjoyed all of them.

A Doris Day one.

Also Julie Walters more recently. Am also part way through "Back Story" by David Mitchell.

Read several in my youth - just can't remember which ones. But not all of them were by actors.

Just remembered that some where in my attic is a George Brown one A Labour(Deputy Prime Minster in the 1960's) Have yet to read it.

Sally - I think that you might mean Kate Adie. A news Reporter.

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Sep 2013 09:48

Some of the titles they use for their autobiography, are pretty good too. I wonder if they think of them, or someone else comes up with the clever title of the book ??

Sally

Sally Report 11 Sep 2013 20:53

Tessa
yes your right I can recommend it

one I did not like dame dench as soon as she started on about mummy and daddy it turned me off

sally w <3

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Sep 2013 23:45

Sally, you might be thinking of Kate Adie's book 'The Kindness of Strangers' which I found extremely interesting. She's written a few, and has a new one out now but I don't know the name of it!

I have recently finished reading 'The Railway Man' by Eric Lomax, which helped fill in some gaps for me regarding my uncle who was a WWII PoW. It is currently being made into film, in which Colin Firth plays the part of Lomax...which explains why Mr Firth has recently lost a LOT of weight.

I thought Michael Buerk's book 'The Road Taken' was good - he tells some interesting stories and some absolutely harrowing tales .

Rupert Everett's 'Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins' is a great read - it will make you laugh and the next minute it will make you cry.

'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell is one I read years ago and enjoyed re-reading recently, I'd forgotten how good it was.

Oh, I can't go without recommending two of John Simpson's... 'Strange Places, Questionable People' and 'A Mad World, My Masters'.

P.S. One more.
How could I not mention 'The Diary of Anne Frank'.... truly fantastic .

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Sep 2013 13:35

Michael Caine: 'The Elephant to Hollywood', Joanna Lumley: 'No Room for Secrets' and Roger Moore: 'My Word is My Bond', all a good read! :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 12 Sep 2013 13:37

I wonder how many autobiography books are out there... must be thousands!!!

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 12 Sep 2013 13:48

The last autobiography I read was Bernie Nolan's last one
just before she died.
Over the years have read loads from old time movie stars,
James Cagney, Elizabeth Taylor etc, those were all I read
at one time now I'm into other types of books.

Emma