General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

St Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Sep 2013 11:51

My lovely Dad used to carve beautiful sticks - he used to carve them whilst sitting alongside the Glamorganshire Canal at Melingriffith where he was born. They really were beautiful and I have lovely photograph of him carving one of these sticks - taken by a passer by. The photograph was for a photographic competition and it won first prize

I had one of these sticks and thought about what would happen to it when I pop my clogs, so I took it along to the Museum, along with the photograph, and after a few months they contacted me to say they would like to accept it for their collection, so I took it over there last week. They had never seen one like it before

I chuffed to bits and my Dad would be gobsmacked if he knew :-D

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 11 Sep 2013 12:04

Ann that's great, a lovely memory of your dad and one
shared with others.

Emma :-)

Allan

Allan Report 11 Sep 2013 12:08

AnnC, that is really wonderful. What a memorial :-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 11 Sep 2013 12:29

That is so lovely Ann, something everyone can see and share and that is a part of you and your Dad.........He will be looking down with pride :-) <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Sep 2013 12:36

not sure if he's UP there looking down - he was a staunch atheist :-D :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 11 Sep 2013 12:45

oops :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 11 Sep 2013 13:46

*presses 'like' button*

xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Sep 2013 14:02

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 11 Sep 2013 15:13

What a great idea and will be enjoyed by hopefully many more generations to come :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Sep 2013 15:49

That is great Ann, a lovely way to ensure the memory of your Dad lives on.

And who knows, he may be 'up ther' he may have had a surprise :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 11 Sep 2013 17:13

Also presses "like" button. The museum at St Fagans is great if anyone has never been. J33 on M4.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Sep 2013 19:01

A great idea of yours Ann. How lovely to let others share your precious memories.

St Fagans is a wonderful place for a day out. I enjoyed it when young and have great memories of taking grandson there too.
A whole day's enjoyment for just the price of parking the car... Fantastic place.

Gwyn

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2013 19:10

I love the place - always something different to see - for anyone who's never visited, it's Wales in a nutshell with buildings of all types brought from their original site and reconstructed stone by stone complete with gardens

There are churches, cottages, barns, toll gates, a school, a bakery where they make bread to sell every day, the Gwalia Stores with all the old grocery products on the shelves, a pottery with goods on sale, a chapel, a pigsty - and much much more

GoldenGirl1

GoldenGirl1 Report 12 Sep 2013 19:47

It sounds beautiful, sort of place OH and I would
like to visit, unfortunately due to poor health no
longer can.

Emma

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2013 20:40

that's a shame Emma - they have beautiful gardens there too with a few lakes