General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Civet Cats - Who fancies a coffee ;-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 13 Sep 2013 14:08

Asian Palm Civet Cats inhabit the islands of Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Benguet region of the northern Philippines in Bali, and in India.

Civet coffee is coffee made from coffee berries which have been eaten by and passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet, which are catlike animals with long noses that love their coffee cherries fresh. They move at night, creeping along the coffee trees, sniffing out sweet red coffee cherries and selecting only the ripest.

After chewing off the fruity exterior, the Civets swallow the bean whole and enzymes within the stomach massage the beans, smoothing off the harsh edges while passing through their system undigested.

It is believed that these enzymes add to the flavour by breaking down any residual bitterness. The beans are defecated by the civets and then washed hygienically and thoroughly before being given only a light roast so as to not to destroy the coffee’s complex flavors :-S :-S :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Sep 2013 14:20

Have you seen the price of the beans or even a single cup?

I'd rather have a cup made from beans passed through the local moggie for free ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Sep 2013 14:21

http://www.finestcoffee.co.uk/product/kopi-luak-civet-cat-coffee-SC0005.html?kw=%2Bcivet%20%2Bcoffee%20%2Bprice&fl=431445&ci=8557909943&network=s&gclid=CLa-k867yLkCFfHKtAodCXsA7Q

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 13 Sep 2013 14:24

Think I might just pass this time OFTG Thank you very much :-D

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 13 Sep 2013 14:30

On BBC London this morning they said it costs £60 a cup in London....Extra for milk???

Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Sep 2013 19:58

On this coming Monday's Inside Out (London) there is an expose on this.

Much is now got by farming these poor animals.

Why are so many people so pretentious that they have to have the next Must Have item.

The demand for this coffee now far outweighs the 'wild' production.

People should now stop buying this :-0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 14 Sep 2013 10:56

I watched the film about this, it disgusted me. Those poor captive creatures turning round and round in the tiny cages showed how stressed they were and their eyes were dead looking.

How anyone can want to drink that coffee is beyond me, never mind the price, the thought of where it was before being roasted put me off. Washed hygienically? tha's a laugh, they had a mucky old bucket they were swilling the droppings round in, wonder how often they changed the water?

Something has to be done to stop this cruel practice. I don't think the world has progressed much in the last 100 years alone when you see what cruelty there still is to our fellow human beings and the creatures around us.

Lizx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2013 12:23

I'm amazed this stuff is sold in the UK.
Bear bile is illegal, so why not this?

I should imagine the majority of people are totally ignorant of it's origin, as Dazed said - just the next 'must have' item to be ticked off the list to justify their 'position' in their small world

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Sep 2013 12:29

I knew about this coffee but had presumed it was harvested in the wild and not from caged animals.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 14 Sep 2013 13:04

Nolls from Harrogate - Im with you. will definitely give this coffee a miss, I will stick to a good strong cup of tea made with real tea in a teapot ;-)

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 14 Sep 2013 13:38

I tried some of my cat's poo, but what I thought were coffee beans turned out to be IAMS. Anyway, with a little milk and sugar, it tasted a bit like Birds Mellow.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 15 Sep 2013 07:50

Urrggghh Paul, that's disgusting!

I wouldn't dream of spending all that money on coffee, it's the snobs who like to boast that they have tried it I think, and they have more money than sense!

Lizx