General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

quick question

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 08:40

those with the 3 bin system, recycling, garden waste, and househols waste.

how do you sort your rubbish? i mean i use a bin in the kitchen n one upstairs, everything goes into it, bag was tied n taking out, but now....

do those who recycle still use a kitchn bin or do you take your rubbish straight outside to the right bin?

because its going to be very time consuming taking our rubbihs out one at a time instead of putting it in the house bin bag then taking it out

:-S ours were dlivered this morning, and altho i think it will be better having bins and not bags n crates, seems my household bin is very very small

Mersey

Mersey Report 14 Sep 2013 08:45

Hi Stray I have a recycling bag for bottles, plastics, cans in a cupboard with a little bin, so sort it out as I go along .....I empty the recycling one when needed as for the ickle rubbish bin I empty outside every day.......

:-)

Penny

Penny Report 14 Sep 2013 08:46

Keep an old cereal box on the side for flat cardboard, wash out tins and they go out together, have a tiny worktop bin for veg peelings/food waste.

keep the recycle boxes outside your back door, do it as you go

it does depend how they want it sorted I guess- we have 5 - count yourself lucky to have just 3!

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 08:49

see we did have a black box for cans/bottles, "littlemans outdoor toys"

a clear bag for plastics "bin liners"

and a green bag for gardens waste "i dont even no where thats gone"

iv been so bad in not recycling much, but now we have to, i just dont want my work tops cluttered with rubbish, but taking it out one at a time eeeek :-(

im still annoyed they delivered them at 745 n woke me up on my only sleep in day hahahahaha

Mersey

Mersey Report 14 Sep 2013 08:55

Get back to bed Sweety, and turn over, close your peepers and Zonk ;-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 08:58

:-D no to much to think about n doo for tomorrow, need to go shopping :-|

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2013 09:02

We have two tall bins side by side in the kitchen one is for recycling goods and is lined with the recycle bag the council provides . The other one is for rubbish and we use our own tie bags for that which is then put into a black bag to go out for the dustman.

Have one of those small kitchen waste bins next to them and this is lined with a bag that decomposes. Kitchen waste other than meat goes in this which is then put in the brown garden waste bin .
I do find you have to keep a watch on the little bin as it soon decomposes And gets a grey fur on it . I chuck it in the garden bin every couple of days

Our recycle and garden waste are picked up on alternate weeks . We store the recycling in the garage till its its week to go out.

Ordinary rubbish goes out weekly but the bag is only partly filled

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 14 Sep 2013 09:10

We have wheelies for garden waste and household, boxes for paper & plastic/tins

Household waste goes into kitchen bin - emptied each night

Garden waste into large bucket - emptied when full

Re cycling - tins/plastic rinsed out as I wash up - taken out when I finish & go out for a smoke

Paper/card goes straight into box in kitchen - taken out night before collection

Glass has to be taken up the road to the big bins - so I bought a small kitchen bin to put it into & take up when full

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 09:16

our tins glass plastic, all go into one bin, im thinking of getting a double bin that does household n recycling but my kitchen is really small, so will find it difficult having sperate bags n bins ect around,

maybe household waste in the kitchen bin as normal,

then little man will receive his new title tomorrow "recyling technician" in which he will have the important job of running the recycling out to the blue bin lolololol

Greenfingers

Greenfingers Report 14 Sep 2013 09:26

We keep our garden waste bin in the garden, near the back gate, fill it up and then drag it out........Indoors we have a plastic bin for recycling, which is emptied every day
You just get used to a different routine

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 14 Sep 2013 09:28

I believe that all children should have their own little jobs to do round the house so sounds good to me :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 09:31

;-) i thought the same carol :-D he was "clean your bedrom technician" but that jobs not working out to well so im thinking a shift in job roles this one may suit him better ;-)

hi greenfingers, im sure ill get used to it my garden waste wont be a problem i do as lttle gardening as possible and currently have a jungle in the back, but the cats love it lol

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 14 Sep 2013 09:37

FOOD,,,,EMPTY DAILY USE COUNCIL RECYCLE BAGS A MUST
GENERAL KITCHEN SMALL BIN UNDER SINK EMPTY WHEN FULL
RECYCLE TAKE OUT STRAIGHT AWAY ALWAYS WASHED..
GARDEN WASTE BIN SHARE WITH DAUGHTERMS

WATCH OUT WITH GARDEN BIN SOMETIMES DAUGHTER HAD NO SPACE FOR HER GARDEN STUFF BECAUSE IN THE NIGHT FOLK FILLED IT UP

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2013 10:34

We've 4 bins/boxes now, the garden waste one was by choice.

We've a bin in the kitchen for general waste which gets put in the non-recycleable bin when full
There is also a swing bin in the kitchen where recyleable paper/tins/foil etc gets put before being emptied into the outside one. Waste paper baskets through out the house normally contain 'dry' rubbish and get sorted before emptying in the outside bins.

We aren't supposed to put veg peelings in the garden waste bin. As it is, we do have a small compost heap so store peelings in an old icecream box on the windowsill, transfer it to a bucket by the back door and eventually to the compost heap.

Glass gets washed out and put outside in a black box.

Although our system works for us, I can see how difficult it could be for people with small kitchens or no side access for rubbish bins/bags etc.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 10:42

i have side access but i tend to forget its bin day till im rushing out to work n then pull bin out as i go, i fear if its in my locked alleyway ill forget

my old rubbish i only put out fortnightly as i really dont use that much, as im living upstairs my upstairs bin gets changed out daily, kitchen every 2 days ruffly,

but from now on i think ill put the recycle out straight away and then household as usual in the normal bin,

till my kitchens been renovated then look for a nice stainless steel, smallish, spllt bin

what a carry on lolololol

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2013 10:47

You'll get used to it Stray - give yourself time :D

As it's not always convenient to dash out side with one tin or piece of paper, could you hang a bag on the back door handle to pop items in?

You'll have to get used to looking for the recylcing symbols on packaging - I get irritated as OH puts cling film in the wrong place. Grr.

Like you, although we have a household waste collection evey week, we only bother putting that bin out fortnightly when the recylable collection takes place (on the same day)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 14 Sep 2013 10:50

yeah im sure i will, i always said if we had bins not boxes n bags id recycle lol, but now im like oh my!

its defo a good idea, i mean most my rubbish is recyclable, my green bin will hardly be used so that can defo go in the alleyway, leaving 2 outfront lol x

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 14 Sep 2013 15:53

STRAY LOOK OUT FOR RECYCLE STUFF
A LOT YOU WOULD ASSUME IS RECYCLE
ARE NOT AND ITS A PAIN, I HAVE TO CHECK
ON THE BIN LID,
AND THE GARDEN BIN WE HAVE TO PAY FOR
THEM FROM ABOUT JUNE TO SEPTEMBER
BUT NO EARTH TO BE PUT IN THEM,AND IF OURS
ARNT ON THE PATH THEY WONT EMPTY THEM OR
IF THE LID WONT SHUT THEY WONT EMPTY THEM,

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Sep 2013 16:40

Got 3 large bins and one small one

Green - general household waste that does not go in the other two

Brown - garden waste and food waste

Blue - paper, cupboard, tins, glass and plastic

Small brown bin - that takes the food waste in corn starch bags that then gets put in the large brown bin.

Have the lid from a box of photocopy paper which keeps the scrap paper and cardboard in.
Small basket for tins, glass etc.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Sep 2013 16:58

All local authority rules are different. Our recycles a lot more than some and all the recyclables go in our blue wheelie bin mixed. I keep a small crate in the cupboard under the stairs, which is actually in the kitchen. All recyclables, washed clean go in there, when full it is taken out to the bin. A small bin in the kitchen has non recyclables in bags. Garden waste bin is in the back garden. Compost bin is in the kitchen as is small food waste bib with a degradable liner acceptable to our council. We have had this scheme for three years now and it works very well. We put our bins on the end of our drive the night before the collection.