General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to clear a room of cats

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2013 14:26

In another room:
1) Get flea deterrent
2) Snip the top off
3) Walk into the room containing the cats.
4) Realise the other door to the room is open

It's amazing how quickly they disappear!!!!
If you actually manage to catch one you're lucky.

It's taken 3 hours and, so far I've managed to do 2 of the three, by various devious means.
It's amazing how slippery the smallest one is. I've tried to hold her 3 times and failed in every attempt to actually get the flea stuff anywhere near her. Doesn't help that her 'default' position is on a slippery cardboard box :-|

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2013 15:14

i use spot on flea treatment for our old girl who is 16 plus

We used to do the grab her and hubby hold her whilst I did the deed but as OH isnt able to do that anymore i have found a gentler way to apply it . She loves to sit on my lap first thing and we have a love in . she likes to be stroked so as i do the stroking i part her fur on her back neck and apply the frontline. She is a British Shorthair so has a thick fur so it needs to be applied in several areas

she doesn't seem to be aware of what I am doing so doesn't get stressed or get in the fight or run mode . Job Done :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2013 15:26

I had one who would sniff suspiciously after I had cuddled or stroked him. He knew I sometimes slipped a smelly one in while I was tickling his neck.

Island

Island Report 14 Sep 2013 15:47

well did you Sharron? :-0 :-0 :-0

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2013 15:49

I think the frontline chemicals may be cold on contact so they know and worry when they feel it .

Our old girl didnt like it at all when we did the grab and apply method , she does tho seem not to notice when I do the gentle approach . maybe she is getting more cant be bothered attitude as she is an old girl .
I Know the feeling !!!! :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 14 Sep 2013 15:52

my girls dont mind been done

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 14 Sep 2013 15:54

Sasca knows the bottle on sight and moves like lighting

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2013 15:55

Well yes. Frontline stinks doesn't it? I didn't fart in his fur!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2013 15:58

I've tried the gentle approach - but once the stuff was on, they jumped off my lap and gave me VERY accusing glares before haring out of the catflap.
Also, once one's been done, the others keep their distance.
They seem to know the smell - whichever brand I use.

I try to do them one at a time as they come in from outside, so the other two aren't aware, but today they've all decided to stay inside :-P

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Sep 2013 15:59

It sure sends up doesn't it?!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Sep 2013 16:01

:-D :-D :-D Sharron

....that's given me an idea.......

Nolls from Harrogate

Nolls from Harrogate Report 15 Sep 2013 20:30

It takes me 2 days to do our one neck one day ..near the tail the next I try and do it when she is sleeping ...however yesterday had the vet out to her and got her to do ...no bother at all mind you that was after she had been "caught" held down by the assistant had injections etc growled, tried to bite scratch and dear know what else think she had given up by the time the drops were put on her :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Sep 2013 23:09

I am going to make a large drawstring bag (of the type we used to have at school to keep our shoes in).

The theory is cat will be inserted into said bag, drawstring pulled thereby containing the errant claws. Drops will then be administered to back of restrained cat's neck.

Discuss the flaws in this plan ....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Sep 2013 23:25

First insert cat in bag, I presume back feet first.

Claws can penetrate quite thick fabric. I've found I'm safe under the 10.5 tog, but they definitely go through the 4.5 tog.......
...and this is in 'playful' mode, not 'god I'm going to be killed' mode.

My problem is, my cats don't actually scratch or bite (the small female I can't catch spits, the others don't). If they did offer violence, I'd probably feel justified in being a bit more persistent & heavy handed.

They just have an amazing ability to take on the persona of eels, and give me a shocked/hurt look :-|

Said small female has taken herself to her 'safest' place - under the bath....
She found this haven when a bath tap was dripping. I had to take the side of the bath off to try to turn the tap off at the valve. A bloke was the last person to touch said valve, so it was immovable. Eventually I had to get a plumber out. By now, this had become her favourite place. The side of the bath is slid into place, but she can pull it slightly open at the bottom and get in.
I have since tried to fix the side back on the bath, and screw it in place, but she (and the other two), claw at it, making a horrendous noise in the process (not nice at 3am) and try to pull it open again!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Sep 2013 23:40

There's a thought.........

We often find a cat sleeping on our outside chairs...... we don't have a cat!

I might get some cat flea powder & sprinkle it around lol

:-D