General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cleopatra's Needle in London: Time Capsule...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 23 Sep 2013 16:27

Do you know it's twin is standing in New York's Central Park ? Our one as you probably know is on the Embankment in London; it's well worth reading the story behind it, very interesting! There is one thing to mention here though, the time capsule that is beneath Cleopatra's Needle, it contains: A copy of the Whitaker's Almanack for 1878, about 10 daily newspapers, a railway guide, a portrait of Queen Victoria, several different Bibles, a set of British coins and an Indian rupee, plus a few other things, do you know what they are ? Also, I wonder if the Time Capsule is still there... ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 24 Sep 2013 11:10

I suppose the time capsule must be still there... it was put there for the future... for others to look at, however, can't see the Cleopatra's Needle being moved any time soon!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Sep 2013 14:50

This seems to be a complete list.

On erection of the obelisk in 1878 a time capsule was concealed in the front part of the pedestal, it contained :
A set of 12 photographs of the best looking English women of the day, a box of hairpins, a box of cigars, several tobacco pipes, a set of imperial weights, a baby's bottle, some children's toys, a shilling razor, a hydraulic jack and some samples of the cable used in erection, a 3' bronze model of the monument, a complete set of British coins, a rupee, a portrait of Queen Victoria, a written history of the strange tale of the transport of the monument, plans on vellum, a translation of the inscriptions, copies of the bible in several languages, a copy of Whitaker's Almanack, a Bradshaw Railway Guide, a map of London and copies of 10 daily newspapers.

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 24 Sep 2013 16:20

I remember when they buried the time capsule on Blue Peter and then opened it about 20 years later and they hadnt sealed it correctly and everything was ruined :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 24 Sep 2013 16:38

Andysmum, all together... didn't she do well! :-) You can take the lot home, your won the lot!!! :-D ;-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 24 Sep 2013 16:39

Not a lot of people know that! ;-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Sep 2013 22:15

Thank you, Graham.

I wonder how they chose the 12 women for the photographs?

GHeather

GHeather Report 24 Sep 2013 22:37

Ok Andysmum. Yes, good point about the 12 women in the photographs, would be interesting to find who they ALL were ? :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 24 Sep 2013 22:46

Just had a brill idea! How about finding out who the 12 women were, and doing their family tree, make quite an interesting programme on TV. However, I don't think any of them will have Cleopatra in their family tree! LOL :-D ;-)