General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a palaver

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 17 Nov 2013 12:27

This week I have rented out my upstairs flat to a work mate of OH for his ex and child.
They arrived late Friday all three of them, which threw me, OH and workmate. Ex bought the boyfriend along. Yesterday at 10pm boyfriend came down to tell me they had had an argument and could I arrange a flight home for him. :-0 Well hells bells no I couldn´t at that time of night but I did against my better judgement go and talk to her, put him up in my spare room for the night, took him for breaky, looked after her child for 2 hrs whilst they talked and got hubby to take him to the airport and out of my hair.
I am now bemused as to how it all happened. :-S :-S
Gonna have to re-write my rental rules to include I am not an agony aunt or a child minder. :-D

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 17 Nov 2013 12:31

haha could only happen to you uz x

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 17 Nov 2013 12:35

that is so true Stray, mind I bet ya mum could run a close 2nd. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Nov 2013 12:38

Oh dear Uzzi, you need a few more ground rules and to 'stop being so kind' people will take advantage of you. How rude for him to just turn up with her without letting you know. You will have to make it part of 'fire regulations' that you know in advance who is to be staying there. (No name, no bed!) :-D :-D

I tend to agree with Stray but only because you are so kind. :-)

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 17 Nov 2013 13:24

Ann I fear you may be correct, but this was a favour for a work mate otherwise I wouldn´t have allowed a child of 7 upstairs. Not I hasten to add that the flat is not suitable but because neither me, OH or mutts really want young things around. Mini sees them as play food, Minx hides from them and both myself and OH shudder around them, which bemuses me how said child curls up on my knee and goes to sleep. (doesn´t bare thinking about)
BUT it was a 5 day favour which I discovered on arrival is 7days. believe me hubbies work mate is going to hear about it tonight.

wisechild

wisechild Report 17 Nov 2013 13:41

We stipulate that our flat is for 2 people only (says so in the contract)
If we´re lucky, it´s let from May to September to couples who come here to work.
Invariably we find that there are at least 4 of them living there.....not a problem for space, but in breach of contract. Also, they do a moonlight before the contract period is up, owing at least a month´s rent, plus electricity bill & a trail of damaged goods & dirty bedlinen.
Don´t do it if you don´t need to financially is my advice.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Nov 2013 07:39

Poor you Uzzi, you can sort of see why she is an ex, she doesn't sound a very nice person to take advantage of you like that. Guess her new/ex boyfriend saw another side to her and is well rid?

What with your nephew and now this? Don't let i put you off altogether lol

Lizxxx

George

George Report 18 Nov 2013 11:29

I agree with wisechild.
My mate has rented out his hous a couple of times and both have been a problem for him.

He rented to two women who worked at the golf club.
Had complaints from neibours about noise from parties. Turns out they had wrecked the place before skipping owing rent.
Then he rented to a married couple after he re decorated. Bloke lost his job and they did a runner owing rent. But worst part was they had bloody dogs that ruined his furniture. He said he would never rent to anybody again.

George :-)

MaryinSpain

MaryinSpain Report 18 Nov 2013 11:34

We rented our apartment for a couple of years to a single mom with young daughter - she then bought her eldest son in - this was only a one bed apartment - he slept on sofa bed. They did a moonlight and left the place in a hell of a mess. Broke my heart but hibby said it was nothing that could not be put right. They left us out of pocket with rent and also an electric bill to pay. Never bothered after that and eventually sold it.

Chin up Uzzi things can only get better.

Love Mary xx

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 18 Nov 2013 12:15

I will only be doing short holiday lets on the place as I couldn´t stand having somebody up there permanently, there will be no money loss, well shouldn´t be. Also letting to friends and family friends I would hope not to have this type of hassle again.

Ahh well you live and learn. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Nov 2013 12:21

I think where we stay in Tenerife which is a private apartment has not has any problems at all. And our daughter had a holiday let in the Lake District for 3 or 4 years and not had any problems apart from minor damage/loss. She didn't have young children or dogs in hers though.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Nov 2013 15:36

I let by the month and then they are usually older people who have retired (and quietened down :-D). Also I take their rent in advance the day they arrive. So far I have met all my clients before hand and they are usually friends or friends of friends .

Good luck Uzzi with future lets x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2013 15:37

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Nov 2013 15:41

Forgot to say I do have this one couple from Gloucester and boy do they know how to party :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2013 15:54

yeh, right! as long as it is before 9.30pm.

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 20 Nov 2013 18:33

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D@ Tenerife Sun´s Gloucester let !
I wouldn´t have taken a child normally but as said it was a favour, as it is the child isn´t really the problem, (apart from me having a babysit job). Animals have to be a definite NO as I have 2 hooligans that would not allow another on their land.

I am sure that my next booked let that I have will be stress free, as they will only party before 9.30pm and come well recommended. :-D Although I have 2 lots of family in before that :-S

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 20 Nov 2013 19:09

Ahhhhh but have you taken up their references? I think they read " party till 9.30 a.m. :-D :-D :-D

UzziInSunshine

UzziInSunshine Report 20 Nov 2013 19:42

Tenerife I did think that the reference given would be okay but maybe I will check out, to be sure. :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2013 19:44

:-D :-D :-D ;-)