General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disgusting

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Nov 2013 21:42

Last week some colleagues of my son were attending a funeral of a mutual friend and had booked a taxi to take them to the crematorium - can you believe, the taxi driver, a Somali, refused to carry them unless they removed the poppies they were wearing as he found them offensive!!!! They took another taxi

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 18 Nov 2013 21:49

Disgusting indeed, I would complain to the taxi company, telling them that you would tell everyone you knew to avoid the company and take their business elsewhere. If it was a hackney carriage might be worth reporting to the licensing authority/local council as well.

And well done to your Son's colleagues for not giving in to the driver

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Nov 2013 22:42

One of the tests for immigrants should be "why do British were poppies in November - whatever their racial background?" Studying that to get into Britain might have told our Somali friend why so many of all backgrounds and colours and religions wear the poppy with pride.

I bet they wouldn't get into USA with that level of crass ignorance.

kandj

kandj Report 18 Nov 2013 23:12

I agree this is disgusting and well done to your son and his colleagues for acting as they did. No doubt they found the taxi driver's comments offensive and I do hope that they complained about the drivers attitude to the taxi firm......Shocking!!!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 18 Nov 2013 23:15

Absolutely disgusting. I do hope they complained to the taxi company.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2013 10:30

think they're taking it all the way!! taxi firm, police, race relations etc.

Lee

Lee Report 19 Nov 2013 11:19

The enrichment of our society.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 19 Nov 2013 11:29

Ann - good on them. Do keep informed on outcome.
Just as matter of interest, Had they pre booked the taxi?? If so - could breach of contract apply?

Liz

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 19 Nov 2013 12:53

Good for them Ann. So much for our multi-cultural society.

martynsue

martynsue Report 19 Nov 2013 13:28

blumming cheek,if they had said something was offensive about him boy oh boy it would be on the news etc.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Nov 2013 13:52

Good for them Ann agree with everything that has been said

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2013 14:25

Agree with everyone on here. How dare he.