General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspapers got it wrong about very cold weather!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 00:04

Seems the newspapers, or should that be a newspaper has got it wrong again about it being a very cold winter, more like a very wet one! Mind you, still early into winter... so the cold weather may come later... but getting away with it at the moment. I don't know where this newspaper gets it weather reports from... but they are not very good!

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 00:07

Mainly to sell newspapers, however, if they keep saying things about the weather and they keep getting it wrong, time to stop it, me thinks!

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 00:12

Perhaps in a week or two the very cold weather will come in... but been quite mild up to now, just lots of rain, and flooding in parts of this country.

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 17 Jan 2014 00:17

Dear GHeather

Hello

Good post.

I should be in asleep but don't feel sleepy at the moment as I have got
some new info about an ancestor.

Definitely must go to bed!

Last year, I recall, it was freezing and the winter went on and on.
Spring was very late in arriving but then came out of nowhere.

The newspapers are just plain silly with the headlines.

I don't feel they print important issues now; its all about celebrities.

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Jan 2014 00:50

make the most of the mildness - anything that shortens the long winter stretch must be good!

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 10:32

Thanks for the replies. :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Jan 2014 12:23

in the Boro
we have found if you need to know what the weathers like

we look out the window :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 16:35

Very gloomy today! :-(

Annx

Annx Report 17 Jan 2014 17:07

The gorse is all in flower around here!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 17 Jan 2014 17:29

It does seem to have been incredibly mild so far in January - but horribly wet. A couple of days have been like those usual January days when it chucks down sleet and snow and you can be marrooned in your car within an hour of it starting. Only difference is that it is 10C and higher and it is just loads of water tumbling from the sky.

We will pay for it!!! I reckon April will see 12 feet snow drifts :-0 Now there's a headline for the Mail or Express :-D :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 17 Jan 2014 18:23

You maybe right JustJohn, about the cold weather coming in later... snow & ice, not nice! Well, ok for a while... but only for a while! Then it becomes a pain!

GHeather

GHeather Report 18 Jan 2014 08:34

What is on the front page of the newspaper today, yes, we are in for a very WET WINTER!!!

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Jan 2014 14:01

Whoever it was who said they just look out of window every morning - I agree that is cheaper and better than papers. Looks like weather will stay mild for a few days, though frost at night. What has happened to the minus 40C temps that USA had? - thought some of that would come across pond.