General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yarn bombing......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 17 Jan 2014 22:37

Have you heard of it, or seen it?

If you google it you can see some great photos of it. I saw a great specimen last week in London on the pole to the button you press to cross the road to cross from Parliament Square to Houses of Parliament, someone had taken th
e trouble to knit the pole a " jumper" It gave great delight to two Japanese tourists, and me, great idea to brighten the day :-D

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 18 Jan 2014 00:01

Saw it on trees outside a local college, very colourful and cheerful!! Seen some great photos as well, but not sure I would be bothered to spend my time knitting a tree jumper! Takes me so long these days to knit a cardi for granddaughter am doing them for when she is two years older :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jan 2014 06:18

I have seen it done in Norwich city centre a while back, I think it's lovely and cheerful but seems a waste of yarn when the knitters could be knitting little jumpers or things for more needy causes.

Could also be fire hazards if yobs decide to set fire to something round a tree or something that would catch fire easily.

Lizx

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Jan 2014 08:58

We don't seem to get any in my neck of the woods, but I much prefer it to spray painted grafitti.

It seems harmless enough and brightens up a gloomy winters day

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jan 2014 10:49

I have just Googled and there is a picture of a yarn bombed Smart.

Now there's a thought!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2014 11:08

A couple of years ago there was a lot of different knitting around the docks area and the lady was there who did it.

every year in Gloucester around remembrance day the approach to the docks is decorated with knitted poppies, they stay there for about 3 months.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 18 Jan 2014 11:30

I think it's a great idea, it doesn't harm anything, and once it's removed, everything is as it was.

I have seen a whole bike covered in yarn, wheels, bell, pedals, everything covered, it's outside of a bike shop, so a great advertisment, as loads of people stop to look, so get Fred knitting Sharron :-D
I bet the knitted poppies look really good Ann :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jan 2014 11:32

Get Fred covered even.

Now there really is a thought!

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 18 Jan 2014 11:36

Perhaps we should all knit a square of wool for you Sharron, then you could cover the car, Fred AND his chair :-D :-D

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 18 Jan 2014 11:41

Gowd I must need glasses I read it as Yard bombing and was about to say we used to call it garden hopping ..Oppps :-D

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Jan 2014 11:51

Hayley.....we almost all need glasses when we get to a certain age :-D

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 18 Jan 2014 12:34

Get to your room Kitty yer grounded :-|

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Jan 2014 12:56

Ooops..............*sulks and wanders off to bed* :-P :-P

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Jan 2014 13:36

at Mr rippley's there a Ferrari
completely made of red wool :-D :-D
take a look at saltburn pier up here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-17285884

its now not only the pier
lots of parts of the seaside town now have a knitted something or other
I walk our dog here sometime
and theres always something different to see

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 18 Jan 2014 14:39

It just love this bus

yarn bombing uk in Google will bring up all the pictures....brilliant they are

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2014 15:53

Lynda the poppies are very attractive, they wind them all round the hand rail that goes down a long ramp and round the trunks of lots of small trees, some are knitted and some crocheted and varying shades of red and styles.

In Bristol among other things was a knitted chair.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Jan 2014 16:29

The only knitting we see round here is the odd glove or scarf on top of a wall or on a railing.

I just might start a trend by knitting something for the school gates............*goes off to look for wool and needles*

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2014 17:08

What you going to knit Kitty?

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 18 Jan 2014 19:40

Well.....Maybe a pencil??

Knitted as a flat piece with black on one end and yellow and black stripes for the rest.

If I increase the black until the length is about 10cm, then decrease the black until it runs out, I could stuff it with something and voila!! :-D