General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Definitely 'family' sized bed!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2014 11:34

For Christmas, I bought myself a 'make over' of flat pack furniture from IKEA for a spare bedroom. I removed the very basic bed/settee and replaced it with a 'day bed' that turned into a double bed. What I hadn't considered was that 2 single beds become a king sized bed :-(
It was used as a 'double' last night when I looked after my 3 grandchildren, while my daughter worked a night shift.
First off, the double sized mattress cover didn't fit :-P :-P
Two singles did.
Fortunately, I haven't yet bought a double duvet & cover for the bed - I will just use 2 single duvets now.
When they'd had their bath and went up to bed, the boys (3 & 6) couldn't work out how/where they'd sleep in the bed. They ended up on one mattress, sideways on, one with his head to the left, the other to the right, both under one single duvet!!
Their big sister (11) usually likes to sleep in my bed, but actually had a whole mattress to herself (and, once the boys were asleep) could stay there and continue to Skype her friend, with minimal interference from granny. (I regularly check up on what she's doing on her laptop).

Not only that, but all the bedding (once put in vacuum packs) can be stored in the three large drawers underneath :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 Jan 2014 13:57

These sizes are a bit strange. There is a double (4') and a large double (4'5") on one Groupon offer. I have bought a large double - then thought about what size sheet and duvet I needed. So I have bought king size. If the duvet drags on the floor, it will have to drag on the floor.

Don't know if you are same, Maggie. But - when I was young - I could sleep anywhere. Groundsheet, bedroom floor, straw. It is only now I am ancient I need 2,000 springs, goose down and satin. Feel a bit like a princess and her pea now in middle of night :-D ;-)

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 18 Jan 2014 15:39

We have the same day bed !!! but used for adults so sleeping one way is the only way

now I use two single sheets for the mattress as when you put it back to a single the mattresses go on top of each other !!1 so saves stripping each time and a single duvet when single and so on!!!

Ikea isnt easy as they use diffenet sizes to us!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2014 15:54

I was rather chuffed 3 children could fit!
Agree about the stacking of the mattresses. I now have an extra double sized mattress cover for my bed - but never mind :-D

John, I've use a king sized duvet on a double bed since my children were small, for 2 reasons:
1) it means when they clambered into our bed, there was enough duvet to go round
2) it hides the stuff 'stored' under the bed (I have an old headboard/footboard sprung metal framed bed), without the extra fuss of a valance sheet.
Now they're grown up, I just like having the freedom to move around and still be covered
It shouldn't quite reach the ground :-D :-D :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 18 Jan 2014 17:27

Always used (and still do) use double duvets on single beds, k/s on doubles and ks beds. Only used single duvets when children were young.

I was silly enough to think that when we changed over to ks bed many years back that a) I would get more of my share of mattress and b) the duvet.

Wrong! Still rolls himself like an indian in a blanket on the ground!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 18 Jan 2014 19:58

I use a kingsize duvet on my double bed, but I know a couple who use two singles on a kingsize bed, as they have differing ideas about the ideal temperature, and therefore tog of the quilt(s).

By using two singles on a king size bed they have the quilt tog they each want , but still get to sleep together :-)