General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Remembering my Dad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Jan 2014 07:29

taken from us aged 79, 24 long years ago.

How he would have loved to see his grandson, my lad, all grown up, they would have had so much to chat about.

Maybe he can tho, along with my Mum and my son's Maltese grandparents.

So many memories, Dad

Lizxx and G.xx

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 23 Jan 2014 08:40

<3 <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 23 Jan 2014 08:51

Sending you hugs Liz..

My father has been dead thirty nine years in September, he was fifty five years old when he died. I think about him every day, he was an intelligent and funny man who loved his family. Taken from us much to soon. Liz we are so lucky to have such happy memories.

lilybids

lilybids Report 23 Jan 2014 11:31

Hi Liz,

My Dad died 33yrs ago beginning of January he was 69 yrs old

remember like it was yesterday,like you have some good memories

Frederick

Frederick Report 23 Jan 2014 15:29

My dear old dad was 84 when he died in 1975,
and mum died in 1977 aged 79.

He was 42 when I was born and I was 42 when he died.

F.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Jan 2014 16:03

Thinking of you Liz. Your Dad will always live on in your heart.

I hate February, mostly because it's the month both my parents and a dear aunt died. I can't believe my mum has been gone 40 years (Dad died 2006). I often wonder what she would have thought of her great grandchildren.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 23 Jan 2014 18:45

<3 <3

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Jan 2014 19:00

my mum would of been 93 today
but sadly she died 45 years ago at the age of 48 :-( :-(

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 23 Jan 2014 19:16

Thinking of you Liz <3 Dads ( in my eyes) are special.

<3 <3 To all who are remembering loved ones xx

kandj

kandj Report 23 Jan 2014 22:07

Warm hugs Liz. Aren't we the lucky ones who can think of happier times spent with Dads who were very special people, and have left behind wonderful memories. Gxx

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 23 Jan 2014 22:49

Thinking of you Liz <3

I lost my dad in 2005, a wonderful man who loved his family and always did his best for us

My mum would have been 80 tomorrow, she died 18 years ago, much too soon

<3 <3

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 23 Jan 2014 23:11

Dear Purple and Dear All

Hello

Sending caring thoughts to all who are remembering their parents.

Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Jan 2014 07:00

Thanks to you all. My parents were older when they met, Mum 29 and Dad 35 (31 and 37 when I was born) so I suppose they did well to get to 79 each before they died. That was lucky for me compared to many of you who lost parents far too young. My o.h. lost his Mum when he was about 19, it affected him badly. I just wish I hadn't been an older Mum too so my parents could have enjoyed more time with my son, and he with them. My son seems to be following the pattern too, as did my nephew and my brother was in his thirties before my nephew was born.

My Dad wasn't a demonstrative man as we got older but he was very tactile with my son and would have him on his lap reading him stories and such, it was a joy to see.

I do have photos with my Dad when I was small and he was holding me but as soon as I could walk and run about I think he stopped cuddling us etc. I can't remember properly. I do recall him sitting up with me downstairs when I was ill with pneumonia at the age of about 3 or 4, I had to be in a cot brought downstairs as there was no heating upstairs in the bedrooms, just a coal fire in the living room. I know he always cared, but wish he had shown it more. Not long before he died, he told my Mum I love you all which was the most emotional thing he had said for years. I suppose the Army life toughened him up, he must have seen some sights.

Lizxx