General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immigration Minister has resigned

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 8 Feb 2014 16:06

Mark Harper the Immigration Minister has resigned - can you guess why.......

He has been employing an illegal immigrsnt

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2014 16:16

Should have known better. He must know what checks you do and that you have to see the correct paperwork when employing an immgrant

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2014 16:22

Oh dear a local MP to this area.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Feb 2014 16:31

Obviously taking advantage of the CHEAP labour market

Roy

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2014 16:38

...and he's not the first.
2009 - Baroness Scotland:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1215198/Baroness-Scotland-facing-10-000-unknowingly-employing-illegal-immigrant-housekeeper.html

No doubt there are more.

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Feb 2014 17:47

You're kidding me!!!!!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 9 Feb 2014 08:02

Mark Harper was the Minister that defended the controversial van campaign telling illegal migrants to go home, he was also a key player in steering the new legislation that aims to make employers, landlords, and doctors, responsible for checking the immigration status of workers, tenants, and patients.

How did he expect employers, landlords, and doctors to carry out these checks, if he, as Immigration Minister - with a department full of so called experts on immigration, was unable to check that his own cleaner was not an illegal immigrant :-S

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Feb 2014 08:50

Maybe it was too close to home?

did HE actually employ? or his household took the cleaner on?

there was a case a while back where a scientist(of some sort) was let off not paying his car tax(or insurance) because he was too busy engrossed in his job...
he claimed that his wife did " all that sort of thing"

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2014 09:37

It seems he did check and the cleaner had what appeared to be official papers but he says he fell short of the standard because the papers were false. If he can be misled how many other people are also misled?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Feb 2014 09:39

He is not our MP but I believe he is a good local MP.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Feb 2014 15:16

as an aside,

how would anyone know, for example if someone claimed to be say, a police officer and showed you their warrant card?

I have no idea what a true warrant card looks like..............
Bob