General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

People who get loads of money for speeches...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GHeather

GHeather Report 13 Feb 2014 19:06

What subject would you enjoy listening to the most ? By the way, I think some of these very long speeches, people sit at a table and have some food & drink, so I suppose that helps! ;-) Perhaps they also play games on their laptops etc... lol

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 13 Feb 2014 18:35

Maybe some of them have very expensive buses

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 13 Feb 2014 17:56

GHeather - they do the rounds, you will find they probably visit a town near you. Just look in your local What's On, or noticeboards at Leisure centres and similar.
I haven't paid more than £5 a ticket for any of them :-) but I suppose that's down to what the venue charges.
Karen

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Feb 2014 20:31

Robert, interesting point, perhaps this is what certain famous people, including Ex PMs think too, bet they do!

Robert

Robert Report 11 Feb 2014 19:54

If some Organisation offered me money to make a speech, I would grab their hand off.

If they are daft enough to give me money, I am daft enough to take it,

I had made quite a few speeches in my day and the most I have ever been offered is my bus fare!!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 11 Feb 2014 17:20

Sounds good Karen! :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 11 Feb 2014 16:51

Well, I suppose it depends if it's a speech or a talk....

I couldn't listen to Tony Blair for more than 10 minutes before the bloke would bore the living daylights out of me. I'm not sure I could listen to Gordon Brown either. I don't think I would pay to listen to what they'd got to say.

On the other hand, the little bookshop in my hometown manages to get all sorts of interesting people to come and give talks (at our drill hall or leisure centre) whilst promoting their latest book, which they will sign for you afterwards. I have gladly paid the ticket price to listen to "an evening with...." Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Kate Adie, Frank Gardner, Rick Stein, Dan Snow, and various others. :-)

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 23:04

Just a bit of further interest: If you did have to listen to a speech, which famous person would you enjoy listening to ?

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 23:02

Am I right in saying T.Blair is the highest paid speech person in the World ? I think he would probably bore the pants off me!!!

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 22:55

I don't think I would like to sit down to listen to a speech for 3 hours or more... :-( Would have to be a very very interesting subject! I think they would have to pay me to listen for that length of time... lol :-D

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 22:48

Interesting thoughts and ideas, thanks, I enjoyed reading through them. :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Feb 2014 22:28

Having just seen the bit about Gordie Brown giving loads to charity, I see that not all are from the greedy gang (thank goodness) :-)

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Feb 2014 22:24

Hmmmm..different circumstances for different people.

For example. Let's take Sir Ranulph Fiennes.
He does the rounds, giving after-dinner speeches, talks at town halls, corporate lunches etc and is paid for it. I cannot imagine it is vast amounts, but I don't know. Giving these speeches he takes the opportunity to promote his latest book and/or to advertise his latest upcoming venture.
However, the money he makes from the speeches and book sales are just about his only form of income.
He is a quiet and shy man, and is always ready to admit that he does not enjoy public speaking. He does it out of necessity. He does it to drum up sponsorship, without which it wouldn't be possible for him to undertake his adventure treks and explorations, for which he raises millions for charity.
So, all in all a good egg. Hats off to the chap, I say .

Others, let's take ex PM's for example, who charge vast amounts, having already made quite a few bob (one way or another) whilst in office, are, in my opinion, greedy sods who still love the sound of their own voices and cannot bear to get down off their gigantic ego trip, such is their level of self importance! I don't know what they do with the money they earn, I don't think millions go to charity.
However, people pay the money to hear them, so that's hardly a deterrent.

I know who I'd rather listen to.
Just my opinion of course :-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 8 Feb 2014 22:14

Gordon Brown gives it away to charity. A good example others could learn from.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/28/gordon-brown-is-parliaments-highest-earning-mp-but-he-donates-it-all-to-charity-3810963/

Annx

Annx Report 8 Feb 2014 22:11

Good point Roy! I'd overlooked that kind of expertise.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Feb 2014 22:06

If people want to waste money to hear "has beens" spouting about nothing then who's the fool.

Annx, As for them losing/paying nearly half in tax, Your assuming they have a conscience

I verymuch doubt any of there fees ever see these shores

Roy

Annx

Annx Report 8 Feb 2014 21:42

Whether you think it's greedy or not, If there wasn't the demand, the amounts couldn't be paid. You could say the same of footballers. If the fans refused to pay to watch the games, the high wages couldn't be afforded.

They must be losing nearly half of that in tax anyway, which is helping to pay benefits.

McB

McB Report 8 Feb 2014 21:30

I think your talking of T Bliar

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 20:34

Perhaps all or some of the money should go to charity ? Especially if your already a wealthy person.

GHeather

GHeather Report 8 Feb 2014 20:28

What do you think of famous people including ex PMs who get vase sums of money for say a 3 hour speech: Do you think good luck to them if the people who want them to make the speech is willing to pay so much, or do you feel the person should not accept such vase over the top sums of money ?? One ex PM gets about 300,000 for nearly every speech he makes, sometimes more... Are we talking about greed here... ?