General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

melanie

melanie Report 19 Mar 2014 22:03

hi iam new to this and wondering is there a why you can adoption records. i was adopted but only when my mother re married. ive found original birth record but not when i changed names may not find my marriage record!!
plus how do you find actual wedding certificates etc so i can trace family.
many thanks
mel
:-)

jax

jax Report 19 Mar 2014 22:08

Welcome to the boards Melanie

No you will not find adoption records on line....

use this site for BMD's from 1837 - approx. 1970 at the moment

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

melanie

melanie Report 19 Mar 2014 22:28

ok thankyou!
could that be why i cant find my marriage in 2006? or how do the records appear on here?
:-)

jax

jax Report 19 Mar 2014 22:32

Marriages only go up until 2005 on Genes, Ancestry and Find my past

So no you will not find it

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2014 22:44

Melanie, if you live in the UK, English births, deaths and marriages for the whole country, up until 6 months ago can be found in your local Records Office.

melanie

melanie Report 19 Mar 2014 22:45

right got ya! like i say iam new to research etc

thankyou for your help x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Mar 2014 23:13

Maggie,
As far as I know there are very few places which hold such recent records.

Most Record Offices hold GRO index of births, deaths and marriages up to about 1992, but only the following have very recent ones.

Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Local and Family History Centre
City of Westminster Archives Centre
Manchester City Library
Newcastle City Library
Plymouth Central Library
The British Library

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Mar 2014 23:50

Hi Gwyn,
Its so long since I've used the Records office! I know when I used to use it, they had BMD's as recent a 3 months.
Still, their records are more recent than the internet.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2014 00:07

I've heard that bmds more recent than 2006 are never going to be put online

melanie

melanie Report 20 Mar 2014 20:37

think i may also need to have a visit to local record office!
thanks everyone

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2014 20:46

Is there a reason you need to see your marriage cert? do you not have it anymore?

Newby

Newby Report 20 Mar 2014 21:18

hi iam new to this and wondering is there a why you can adoption records. i was adopted but only when my mother re married. ive found original birth record but not when i changed names may not find my marriage record!!
plus how do you find actual wedding certificates etc so i can trace family.
many thanks...
Ok .. I think what you are saying is that you have found your original birth reg on BMD Your new adoptive birth cert issued at the time is available to you only
If you don't have this already .you can apply for this personally but it is not on the register of BMD's
You have every right to find out about your family prior to adoption.
Google adoption and there is loads of info to help you trace your history but be aware that it might be quite distressing and you should have some qualified support before embarking on this.
Hope this helps
xx

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2014 21:36

I have read it that Melanie was adopted by her mothers new husband when she remarried?

If so she would know who her mother was

Maybe I am wrong?

Newby

Newby Report 20 Mar 2014 21:48

Hello Jax
No not wrong at all but if she does not possess her adoptive Birth Cert she is the only person who can apply for it now..
Also adoption record ie adoptive birth certs are only available to OP they won't show up on BMD records
I might be wrong but I think she is trying to trace her family prior to her adoption?
Not sure about marriage records in this instance
I think Melanie wants to access her adoption records

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2014 22:00

Maybe Melanie would like to explain what she is looking for? then we can help

Whether just wants to find the record listed (which for adoption cert no) or is she is after obtaining it? which I would have thought she would have anyway?

If she wants to go back further, then she should find those online either on freebmd up to 1970ish or one of the other sites like GR, FMP or Ancestry for records up to 2005

Newby

Newby Report 20 Mar 2014 22:03

You always were one of the sensible ones on here ..
xxx <3
But Melanie, if you want to access your adoption records , contact adult social services in your area

melanie

melanie Report 20 Mar 2014 22:49

sorry i seem to be confusing people.
i was born richardson ,which i have found birth record on genes reunited.
what i was wondering was if i would be able to find when i was adopted by my mum new husband? i only ask this because if anyone ever wanted to trace me and didnt realise my birth name how would they trace me.
i have my marriage certificate but i was wondering if it would show up bmd records because technically there is no record birth record of me as melanie cooper which is how ive been known all my life !!
i hope this makes sense!!
sorry again like i say iam new to this and slowly learning how to find records.

i know who bio father is but not all his family.

jax i will look at those sites x

jax

jax Report 20 Mar 2014 22:56

If you put yourself in your tree in your birth name also your parents names anyone looking for you should find you if they know those details

You could also add your adopted name in brackets...that's how I have seen some listed on here

Or you could add yourself in your adopted name birth name in brackets....its up to you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Mar 2014 00:40

OK - assuming that the person looking for you wasn't a member of GR......

Firstly they'd be wise to look at the actual image of the gro index to see your birth entry. In many cases there is the letter S either on the image, or incorporated in the numbering. That indicates that an adoption had take place.

Only you as an adoptee can access your adoption records - other people looking for you during your lifetime would need to register with the Adoption Contact Register or any later equivalent and hope that you had done so as well.
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

If you wanted to make the chances of being found easier, see if your birth entry is on http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl . If it is then add a brief 'postem' to explain that you were adopted by your mother's husband and were know before your marriage as Mel xx

To protect your parent's privacy, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to give their first names unless they unfortunately are deceased. Similarly don't give too much away about yourself!

jax

jax Report 21 Mar 2014 00:46

Melanies birth reg does not have an 's' and would not be on freebmd as yet...but will be in the not to distant future, I would think