General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The birds were making a terrible noise...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 21 Mar 2014 22:45

which usually means there's a snake!

I went out the back........ couldn't see a snake.

The noise the birds were making was nearly deafening!!!

Then I spotted it.......... in a big tree sat a barn owl! Beautiful!

No idea why an owl is around at this time of day (9.45am Saturday).

The owl sat there for a while, with the birds screaming at it....... then flew off, with what looked like at least fifty birds chasing after him.

I hope he flies really fast!

:-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Mar 2014 23:04

owls are lovely - hate snakes with a vengeance - can't even look at a picture of one :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Mar 2014 03:02

I collect owls :-D not real ones! Maybe the owl peeked in a window?

When I first met my mother-in-law, I admired an owl she had....... and she told me she collected them........ when I said I did too, I got a tour of the owls in the house :-D

We bought each other quite a few owls over the years.

Sadly, she died last year, but she left instructions with her daughter that I had to get all her owls! I now have HUNDREDS!!!!

I miss her so much, she was a lovely lady, and a wonderful mother-in-law <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Mar 2014 08:37

they had a barn owl on BBC Breakfast this morning - she's a beauty - apparently they are in decline because of the appalling weather conditions of late

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Mar 2014 08:48

We haven't had much rain in the last few months (definitely NOT normal for this time of year here), so I'm guessing there isn't much of the usual food for owls (mice etc), so this one decided to head for town. Maybe the other birds didn't like the idea of a stranger stealing their food.

It's dark now (7.45 pm Saturday); we probably won't see the owl, but we might hear it...... I hope it doesn't hoot all night. :-(

The Tawny Frogmouths (they look like owls) made noise all night.... sounded like HOOOM HOOOOM. They made a nest in a plant pot on our back patio!

No, we don't live in a wildlife park, but sometimes it sounds like it. :-D

There are koalas a few kms away...... I wouldn't like to live near them. You would not believe the noise they make in mating season.

Graham

Graham Report 22 Mar 2014 09:56

If there's a shortage of food, that might be why they are hunting during the day as well as at night.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Mar 2014 10:37

We haven't heard any hooting or flapping of wings yet.........

This clip might give you an idea about koalas....... imagine living next to a family of koalas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8eyOA5ub8E

The eucalyptus leaves they eat make them sleepy (more like stoned lol)... so maybe the males have to grunt really loudly to wake up the females :-D