General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh for crying out loud.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Mar 2014 20:27

All I wanted to do was pay some cheques and loads of saved up coins into my bank account, it took longer to pay the coins (real money) all bagged up in correct amounts in than the cheques.
It wasn't even vast amount of cash either :-|

michael2

michael2 Report 24 Mar 2014 21:05

I know it's mad ness after all it's legal money my building soc will take five bags if it's all the same I/I pound coins. what we surpposd to do walk around with pockets full of change .I take mine to one of those change machine but you get charged a little bit but I can get rid .

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Mar 2014 23:20

there are change accepting machines at some Sainsbury's stores but they charge you for the privilege,

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 25 Mar 2014 10:31

I live in a small village, at the local shop/post office they are always willing to take/change into notes. I have also found that many small outlets are the same, as most people tend to offer notes in payment, leaving them short on change.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 25 Mar 2014 12:15

MY DAUGHTER SAVES 1&2 POUND COINS
EVERY NIGHT SHE PUTS THEM IN THE SAVINGS
BOTTLE,
BUT IF SHES GOING SHOPPING NEXT DAY SHE HAS TO GO TO BANK TO
GET CASH FROM ATM...........
,,,,,LOGIC !!!!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Mar 2014 12:33

When you take you bags of money into the bank/post office. They have to be weighed and then if they come up short or over then they have to be counted manually by the clerk.

And now that more and more people pay by debit or credit card, most banks do not need the change and it costs them to handle these amounts to send them back to a central cash point for re-distribution.

I save all my small change, but if I know I am going to need change when out I will ensure that I have a couple of pounds of small change to pass on.

Your small local shops are the ones who will really want the small change, so instead of saving it, use it locally to make smaller purchases.

1 - 2 & 5p are the coins that the banks really do not need to take in.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 25 Mar 2014 14:22

Our local paper runs a collection called the Jam Jar Army, supporting a different local good cause each year, for which we all are asked to put our smallest change into jam-jars - many of the local shops also join in and keep a jar on the counter - it makes about !£10,000 each year, which has of course been welcomed by such causes as the local hospice, the youth club attached to the local theatre, rescue dogs - and this year for emergency heart machines at the local sports clubs. If any of you can get something similar going it is a very worthwhile system of parting with our coppers.