General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to increase your your wifi signal with foil

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Mar 2014 01:11

No idea if this works.... :-D

:-D :-D :-D

http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/how-to-increase-your-wifi-signal-with-tinfoil?utm_source=edm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enews

I'll ask Himself when he gets home, he'll probably laugh

Comments please......... especially from Rollo & Roy :-D :-D :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Mar 2014 08:34

Yes it does have some merit but the problem of using tin foil is that way is it will then change your routers antenna from an all round transmit and reciever into a directional antenna Edit, It will not increase signal strength

Their are several possible reasons why a wifi signal may appear to be weak so its best to rule out those before you start changing or adding anything,

Think is any of my household appliances zapping/interfering with my Wifi signal,
Microwaves ovens and any cordles device from your tv remote to a cordles alarm system including a neighbors devices where they are in range of the router

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2014 08:54

It does work if you want to enforce the direction, my OH has done it both here and where we stay in Tenerife.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Mar 2014 09:13

The two guys on the video come up with all sorts of weird & wonderful ideas... mostly weird.

:-D

Just wondering................. we have a cordless 'phone sitting near the router/modem... should we move it?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 25 Mar 2014 09:41

Wether a cordless divice affects your Wifi signal will depend on what frequancy your router and the device uses, if they share or are using a frequancy close to each other then thats when you have a problem, The best thing to do is move things around and see if it makes a difference,

you can check your signal strength using your PC's Wireless Network Connections utility

Roy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Mar 2014 09:47

As Ann said her OH put foil behind my antenna for me and now I can get a connection in my bedroom where previously I couldn't. I live in a bungalow but it is quite a way from the router to the bedroom. It has also improved the connection to my adjoining apartment which is even further away. I have a cordless phone quite near to the router.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Mar 2014 21:31

We moved the cordless 'phone.

Since then, the internet connection hasn't dropped out once. We've been having problems since early December.... but the 'phone has sat there for seven years!

Funny about that.

:-S