General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IMHO

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 25 Mar 2014 20:19

Detective thought this might be a good discussion for the General Chat board. So here goes...

Some people think IMHO stands for "In MY Honest Opinion", whilst others think the H stands for Humble. Which do you think? Does it matter?

Are there other commonly used sets of initials that have confused you? Have you ever had to google a set of initials to find out what they stood for?

When I first started using these boards I didn't know what OP or OH meant. Initials can be confusing.

Have you ever mistook what somebody was trying to say, because you thought the initials meant something else?

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Mar 2014 20:33

lol I thought it meant lots of love

you all think you have problems
you should try to understand a text sent by Stray
by the time I read it decipher it she is long home from work ;-) ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 Mar 2014 20:47

Sir John Cheke (16 June 1514 – 13 September 1557) was an English classical scholar who wrote:

‘I am of this opinion that our own tung should be written cleane and pure, unmixt and unmangeled with borowing of other tunges; wherein if we take not heed by tiim, ever borowing and never paying, she shall be fain to keep her house as bankrupt‘.

Graham

Graham Report 25 Mar 2014 21:20

Was that a bit tung in Cheke? :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Mar 2014 21:33

Text speak can be confusing, then when sending a text I sometimes find myself using parts of it (4 for 'for', 2 for twoetc) for speed. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Mar 2014 21:53

I am unable to text - however, I can do shorthand!!!! :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Mar 2014 01:44

I heard of someone (NOT ME!) who thought "wtf" meant ~ Wow, That's Fantastic!

:-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Mar 2014 15:56

Well done Graham :-D

They're strange sayings, aren't they? if you give or have an opinion, it should be honestly held. I believe I'm right but open to persuasion.

Humble opinion? Well, I'm pretending to be subservient; you can disagree with me if you like, but I'm right and you're wrong.

IMHO ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 26 Mar 2014 16:02

I'm learning slowly but surely that sometimes my opinion is best kept to myself.

But I do enjoy contributing to threads like this especially in the midst of diverse interpretations and conflicting opinions.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 26 Mar 2014 19:52

I love the phrase "IMHO"

It means the exact opposite as you correctly say - it's like many of these phrases/abbreviations - they do not genuinely mean anything in reality.

IMHO is actually quite a controlling phrase if you think about it.

Then again, I suppose many things said by text/email/bulletin board are probably not how the person would speak in real life or what they might even say.

Graham

Graham Report 26 Mar 2014 21:39

I know people who laugh and then actually say "lol" :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Mar 2014 21:59

I hope they don't also say pmsl

;-)